New Member

  • john_wagner61
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2005
      Hi Group,

      I've joined the group and would like to introduce myself.

      I'm a happy owner of a South Bend 10K Model B 4-1/2 ft lathe recently
      purchased off Ebay ($410). The serial number is 3687KBR7 and is
      relatively complete and in good shape. I will try and post some
      pictures in the Photo section if I can figure out how.

      The previous owner had bought the lathe a few years ago from a high
      school in Chicago, but never set it up. Except for a missing tension
      shaft/knob it seems complete. I machined a suitable replacement which
      works. I mounted the lathe to a table and the head stock seems tight
      and everything is in good working order.

      As the lathe is covered in grease, dust and grime I want to give it a
      good cleaning and repaint some components. I've discovered the
      wonders of TSP for degreasing and paint removal and started with the
      motor belt drive cover - the only shiny thing in the photograph of the
      lathe.

      I would like to choose a paint close to the original color, and a
      friend recommended Rustoleum light gray. I would greatly appreciate
      suggestions/comments from others who have repainted their lathes.

      Thanks
      John Wagner
    • Bob Wright
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2005
        Here John i will walk you through posting pics.
        1. PHOTO'S at the left
        2.MEMBERS ALBUM
        CLICK CREATE ALBUM
        3.ADD PHOTO in the top left corner
        4. BROWSE
        you can add your photos from a floppy of from your files
        Hope this helps...Bob

      • viajoaquin@aol.com

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 2, 2005
            Heating is an excellant point. When i had my wrought iron shop i
            heated the parts both before and after painting. It does help release
            the solvents in the paint. I found an old elec oven on the way to
            work someone threw out...Bob
          • Robert R. Monaghan Jr.
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 1, 2005
              Hi There Lathe Lovers,
              I recently E-Mailed a message called Brand New Member, I would like
              to know where to find it, or if it made it here at all.
              Thanks in advance, BOB
            • Bob Wright
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 1, 2005
                Yes it made it, i wasn't up on my end. But welcome anyway....Bob
                --- In southbend10k@yahoogroups.com, "Robert R. Monaghan Jr."
                <lathefriend08@y...> wrote:

                > Hi There Lathe Lovers,
                > I recently E-Mailed a message called Brand New Member, I would
                like
                > to know where to find it, or if it made it here at all.
                > Thanks in advance, BOB

              • Chris Strazzeri
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 4, 2006
                  My apologies to all the members for the recent post by a new member who will shortly become a banned member. I have the group management settings set to Moderate new members. This means that the Moderated members mail is sent directly to me prior to posting. I did not approve that message and I'm investigating how it got through.

                  Please do not respond to this message.

                  Thank you,
                  Chris