3C collet adaptor in head stock

  • ryan_kittredge
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 1, 2007
      I have a model A 10K lathe that has a 3C collet adaptor in the head
      stock. This probably hasn't been removed in 30 years. There doesn't
      seem to be any ridges to get ahold of to remove it.

      Does anyone have any ideas of how to get it out of the head stock?
      There might not be any reason to remove it. I guess I could put a dead
      center in a collet and leave it in place. Any thoughts?

      Thanks
      Ryan
    • nwindiana9
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 3, 2007
        Use the hole through the spindle to tap it out from the back with a
        length of brass or wood.

        --- In southbend10k@yahoogroups.com, "ryan_kittredge"
        <ryan_kittredge@...> wrote:

        > I have a model A 10K lathe that has a 3C collet adaptor in the
        head
        > stock. This probably hasn't been removed in 30 years. There
        doesn't
        > seem to be any ridges to get ahold of to remove it.
        >
        > Does anyone have any ideas of how to get it out of the head
        stock?
        > There might not be any reason to remove it. I guess I could put a
        dead
        > center in a collet and leave it in place. Any thoughts?
        >
        > Thanks
        > Ryan

      • ryan_kittredge
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 4, 2007
          The back of the adaptor is tapered inside the headstock and there
          isn't an edge to get ahold of to drift it out.

          Ryan

          --- In southbend10k@yahoogroups.com, "nwindiana9" <nwindiana9@...>

        • guycad@netzero.net
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 4, 2007
            3C collet nose piece bore is 0.650" maximum diameter.

            Your 10K spindle is about 0.875" dia.

            Take a piece of round bar stock the length of your spindle, slide it
            at the other end of the spindle and gently ram it with the piece of
            metal. It will come out very easy.

            Guy Cadrin
          • Chris Strazzeri
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 4, 2007
              The rear end of the collet sleeve taper can't be that thin! Could it?

              Chris

              wrote:

              > Use the hole through the spindle to tap it out from the back with
              > length of brass or wood.
              >

              > --- In southbend10k@ yahoogroups. com, "ryan_kittredge"
              > <ryan_kittredge@ > wrote:
              > >
              > > I have a model A 10K lathe that has a 3C collet adaptor in the
              > head
              > > stock. This probably hasn't been removed in 30 years. There
              > doesn't
              > > seem to be any ridges to get ahold of to remove it.
              > >
              > > Does anyone have any ideas of how to get it out of the head
              > stock?
              > > There might not be any reason to remove it. I guess I could put
              > dead
              > > center in a collet and leave it in place. Any thoughts?
              > >
              > > Thanks
              > > Ryan

            • wlw19958
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 4, 2007
                <ryan_kittredge@...> wrote:

                > The back of the adaptor is tapered inside the headstock and there
                > isn't an edge to get ahold of to drift it out.
                >
                > Ryan

                Hi There,

                Just to ask a stupid question, Are you sure there is an adapter in the
                spindle? The 10K spindle is made with secondary taper for 6K collets
                machined into the spindle.

                Good Luck!
                -Blue Chips-
                Webb
              • Mario L Vitale
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 4, 2007
                  Ryan,
                     Depending on how badly you want it out, there are a couple of things you could try. First, you could clean up the I.D. with solvent,  coat the O.D. of a cheap 3C collect with super glue (the good stuff) and install it in the adapter. once it sets up, install the draw bar and tap it out from the outboard end. Or you could make a plug that has, for most of it's length, a diameter equal to the I.D. of the outboard end of the adapter, and then for a short length steps up to just under the spindle bore I.D. You should be able to knock it out that way.
                      If that doesn't work, another thing you could try, if there is a cylindrical surface anywhere on the I.D. of the adapter, you could tap a thread on the I.D. and install a "slide hammer" to pull it out.
                     Last, but not least, you could always get out the boring bar and start inreasing the I.D. of the adapter untill it is paper thin and then peel it out.
                      Good luck and let us know how you make out.
                                                                                                                     Mario

                  Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2007 8:26 PM
                  Subject: Re: [southbend10k] Re: 3C collet adaptor in head stock

                  wrote:

                  > Use the hole through the spindle to tap it out from the back with
                  > length of brass or wood.
                  >

                  > --- In southbend10k@ yahoogroups. com, "ryan_kittredge"
                  > <ryan_kittredge@ > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I have a model A 10K lathe that has a 3C collet adaptor in the
                  > head
                  > > stock. This probably hasn't been removed in 30 years. There
                  > doesn't
                  > > seem to be any ridges to get ahold of to remove it.
                  > >
                  > > Does anyone have any ideas of how to get it out of the head
                  > stock?
                  > > There might not be any reason to remove it. I guess I could put
                  > dead
                  > > center in a collet and leave it in place. Any thoughts?
                  > >
                  > > Thanks
                  > > Ryan

                • ryan_kittredge
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 5, 2007
                    Thanks for the input guys! I have a few things to try. When I look
                    at the front of the spindle on the head stock I can see a part line
                    around the circumference that leads me to believe that the adaptor
                    can be removed. Also if I stick my finger into the adaptor I can
                    feel a transition inside the head stock, however, there isn't enough
                    material there to get a hold of.

                    The reason to remove the adaptor would be to insert a dead center in
                    the head stock when I want to turn between centers. Also to gain a
                    little bit of bore diameter through the head stock. I plan to do
                    some rifle rebarreling. Therefore I would like to be able to remove
                    this adaptor by non destructive means.

                    I'll let you know when the lathe gives in to my persistance.

                    Ryan

                    --- In southbend10k@yahoogroups.com, "Mario L Vitale"

                  • guycad@netzero.net
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 5, 2007