Re: [southbend10k] Re: Big Lathe Cuts!!! - 5c Repair

  • bdmail
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 2, 2006
      Re: [southbend10k] Re: Big Lathe Cuts!!!  -   5c Repair Hey Chris!

      No, I haven’t done a runout test on them, but I will definitely give it a shot and report back.
      Hopefully I will be finishing the 5C to JT5  adapter for my 20N, and while I am there I will test them out.

      Bernie

      Bernie, I've always wondered about those Jacobs ball bearing chucks. Have you done any TIR's on them?

      Chris

      bdmail <bdmail@...> wrote:

      Actually, I thought I did make my own album!!!  Ha ha ha

      When it ended up in another 5C folder, I guess I felt Like it was meant there.  Maybe John will mind...

      It isn’t hard to move them, so I’ll do that tonight

      The chuck goes from  3/8 inch to 1 inch drills, so I made it the actual headstock chuck.  I have a 3/4 capacity bb superchuck for a tailstock chuck.

      You can’t beat these BB chucks, even used.  The gripping power can’t be beat.

      Bernie

      Hi Bernie,

      I really liked the projects and the photo's. Why didn't you create your own album? Oh, and yes that's a big honker! One inch capacity?

      Chris

    • Chris Strazzeri

        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 17, 2006
          Hey Chris and Everyone,

          I finished the 5C to JT4 adapter and the runout on the body of the chuck is impeccible!! I
          have to run a light grinder (dremel type) through the jaws while applying some gripping
          pressure to true up the jaws, as this chuck was used previously.

          I used Dykem Layout blue on the inside of the taper in the back of the chuck and on the JT
          adapter to make the final fit. I did the final cutting with some careful and basically artful
          filing with different cut files, and some cutting fluid. Really a lovely finish (a shame I can't
          see any of it!!)

          I wlll be sure to take pics of the assemby on the lathe.

          Bernie