Grant CP

  • Jim Thomas
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2008
      This morning I visited Grant CP and Grant Lake. Birds included

      Western Grebe - 2
      Hooded Merganser - 1 male, 2 female
      Common Merganser - 2 male, 3 female
      Sharp-shinned Hawk - immature
      Red-shouldered Hawk
      Wild Turkey - 25+
      White-throated Swift - 3+
      Red-breasted Sapsucker
      Swallows - uncounted, most or all Tree and Violet-green
      California Thrasher - 2
      Brown Creeper
      Pine Siskin - 2
      Lincoln's Sparrow

      -Jim Thomas
    • Jim Thomas
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 11, 2010
        This sunny morning I birded around and behind the Smith Creek Fire Station, along Smith Creek, the road side of Grant Lake, and briefly the main part of Grant County Park. Best were

        Cooper's Hawk - juvenile
        Red-shoulder Hawk - very noisy, Grant Lake
        Northern Pintail - 2, Grant Lake
        California Quail - 100+
        Willow Flycatcher - Grant Lake
        Pacific-slope Flycatcher - behind Fire Station
        House Wren - 3, Grant Lake
        Cassin's Vireo - hear only, for 10 minutes - Smith Creek
        Lawrence's Goldfinch - 2 female type, Fire Station
        Yellow Warbler - 3-4, Grant Lake
        Wilson's Warbler - behind Fire Station

        A Smith Creek fireman chatted with me a while, and told about seeing a Golden Eagle take a Canada Goose in flight there.

        -Jim Thomas
      • Jim Thomas
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 16, 2010
          This morning an Aleutian CACKLING GOOSE and four GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE were at Grant Lake. A LINCOLN'S SPARROW and a male HAIRY WOODPECKER were in the area around the ranch house at Grant County Park.

          -Jim Thomas
        • Jim Thomas
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 4, 2012
            Yesterday morning (june 3) I hiked the Foothill Trail from the Smith Creek fire station to Eagle Lake and back. Birds there included

            Wild Turkey - 3 near fire station
            Red-shouldered Hawk - heard
            American Coot - about 12 including two chicks, at Eagle Lake
            Western Kingbird - 2 near Eagle Lake
            Cassin's Vireo - 1 singing along wooded part of trail
            Yellow-billed Magpie - 1 near Eagle Lake
            Orange-crowned Warbler - 1 singing along wooded part of trail
            Lark Sparrow - 2 at Eagle Lake
            Lazuli Bunting - 1 male singing near fire station
            Red-winged Blackbird - about 200 at Eagle Lake
            Bullock's Oriole - pair near Eagle Lake
            Purple Finch - vocal pair near fire station

            On the way home, I made a quick stop at Grant's Lake. Birds there included

            House Wren - 1 singing

            - Jim Thomas
          • Jim Thomas
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 9, 2012
              This morning i birded at Joseph D Grant County Park, along the road past the entrance kiosk, the ranch, and Grant Lake. Interesting finds included:

              American White Pelican - 1
              Sora - 1, at lake, only second I've seen in the park
              Least Sandpiper - 1, at lake, first I've seen in the park
              Wilson's Snipe - 1, at lake, first I've seen in the park
              Belted Kingfisher - 2
              Say's Phoebe - 1
              Yellow-billed Magpie - 1
              Violet-green Swallows - 12+
              Townsend's Warbler - 1
              Savannah Sparrow - 1, at lake, first I've seen in the park
              Western Tanager - 1

              -Jim Thomas
            • Jim Thomas
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 4, 2012
                Yesterday (Nov 3) I drove up to the Smith Creek Fire Station, hiked to Eagle Lake, then made a quick stop at Grant Lake on the way down. Birds I saw included:

                Cackling Goose - 1, the only goose at Grant Lake
                Wild Turkey - about 25, various places
                Black-crowned Night Heron - 1, Eagle Lake
                Red-shouldered Hawk - 1, harassed by a Red-tailed Hawk, Grant Lake
                Red-tailed Hawk - 1 chasing RSHA, 5 soaring together near Grant Lake, 1 near Eagle Lake
                Sora - 1, Grant Lake
                Greater Yellowlegs - 1 at Eagle Lake, 4 at Grant Lake
                Band-tailed Pigeon - 26, Foothill Trail
                Red-breasted Sapsucker - 1, Smith Creek Fire Station
                Loggerhead Shrike - 1, along Mt Hamilton Rd
                Hutton's Vireo - 1, Foothill Trail
                Western Bluebirds - numerous and widespread
                Red-winged Blackbird - about 25, Eagle Lake

                -Jim Thomas
              • Jim Thomas
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 6, 2012
                  This morning (12/6/12) I birded at Joseph D Grant County Park, roughly around the meadow past the entrance kiosk and the ranch house and at Grant Lake. Birds there included:

                  Hooded Merganser - male-female pair at Grant Lake
                  Common Merganser - 30 at Grant Lake
                  Wild Turkey - 40+, very noisy
                  Merlin - 1 (plus another along Highway 130 back toward San Jose)
                  Red-shouldered Hawk - 2 perched together
                  Say's Phoebe - 1
                  Brown Creeper - 1
                  California Thrasher - 2, singing

                  Reviewing records, I was surprised to find that this was my first Merlin at Grant CP.

                  -Jim Thomas
                • Jim Thomas
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 20 8:54 PM
                    The big meadow at Joseph D Grant County Park was full of campers with horses this morning. Nonetheless, the edges of the meadow were quite birdy and birdsong continued various and abundant well into the morning. Birds there included ASH-THROATED FLYCATCHER (2+), WESTERN KINGBIRD (4+), HOUSE WREN (3+), RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET (1, with crest up) , BLACK-THROATED GRAY WARBLER (1), BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK (3+, including a female on nest), LAZULI BUNTING (1), BULLOCK'S ORIOLE (3), and LAWRENCE'S GOLDFINCH (4, with a male apparently feeding a female, as Bob Reiling reported seeing).

                    -Jim Thomas