JD-990 adaptation question

  • exosys
    Message 1 of 3 , May 13 2:23 PM
      Hello, hopefully someone is still about who can assist me with a question regarding the Roland JD-990.

      The adaptation shows default names for Preset Patch Bank 'A' & 'B', likewise the default names for Performances Bank 'A' & 'B'.

      These cannot be 'requested', presumably because they are ROM banks and editing is not allowed. What I would like to do however is click on one of those preset patch or performance names and have the JD-990 switch to that preset/performance, just like you're able to do with internal presets and performances.

      I have a feeling this must be possible with the JD-990 adaptation but I don't know how to do it, does it have to do with the 'Special Parameters' settings? If it is possible, could someone please instruct me on what I need to do to get it going, I've spent hours trying to get this to work without success without any joy thus far. Any help is appreciated.

      My JD-990 is running OS 1.0.5. Thank you.
    • Les Lambert
      Message 2 of 3 , May 14 4:04 AM
        Don't know the actual adaption, but the situation you describe seems to be true for other ROM-based instruments I am familiar with.
        I don't actually understand why you feel driven to want this.
        If you want a remote control action from the SoundDiver to the instrument, I never explored that enough to be any help.
        I too would like to hear if there's a way in here.

        I usually turn off the direct transmission function while I have the pc connected to avoid robots taking over while I'm busy.
        Hate that.

        I was trying to compile a "best of" the internal presets like I used to on analog and digital synths, but got in a very muddled area, managing to make the whole interconnected mess freeze up.
        The Kurzweil 2000 and 2500 and Triton Rack both don't like you messing around with their minds that way.
        So many presets and SoundDiver seemed an ideal method, but....

        My particular solution was to do all the Librarian type shuffling of stuff within the ROM-based ( and Sample-based as it turned out).
        Then once that was done and checked and saved to zip, HD, whatever, I can save it to the Computer for printing, cut and pasting that kind of thing.

        Good luck with other more knowledgable members.
        My take is; SoundDiver like Galaxy before it, was essentially a product of the synth era.
        Before samplers arrived. Way before ROM had sounds for us.
        It got a few tweaks, but it's still a synth librarian really. With  a trailer on the back.

        Message 3 of 3 , May 14 12:33 PM
          Thanks for replying. The last couple of years I have been obtaining a lot of legacy hardware and restoring it. For all but a couple of pieces SoundDiver supports it and, in most cases, does the job very well.

          I wanted to change patches within the JD ROM entries without needing to touch the h/w itself. This can be done with my other kit but not the JD-990. I spent more time on this last night and it appears to be a limitation in the JD-990 rather than the adaptation as the Utility dump options also only access the memory patches. However, it's not a deal breaker as the librarian part of SoundDiver let's me do this patch switching and auditioning using the temp edit buffers.

          It was more of general question and wanting a definitive answer, as it stands I still don't know how to use the 'Special Parameters' section in the JD-990 adaptation where the program change and multi channel settings can be defined.

          In time I hope to start tweaking/making my own adaptations but I'm about a decade behind here and trying to play catch up :) Thanks again for chiming in, much appreciated.