Re: [SoundDiver] Re: AMT8 Not Working

  • Peter P Sturges
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 30, 2011
      I repeated this several times.

      I hooked up the AMT8 to the Mac and powered up. The LEDs strobe from 1 to 8
      (both in and out at the same time) on startup, but ends up LED 1 in and out
      are on constantly. The Sounddiver sees that ATM8 fine, indicates the
      firmware version etc., but there is no reset or LED blink I can find in the
      SD menus. I tried the SD MIDI loopback test, there is no MIDI detected
      coming in (the LEDs 1 in and out stay fully lit). Plus the panic LED came on
      once or twice during the many repeats of this test.

      It's got to be garbage in the EPROM.

      Help!

      Peter

      On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 4:38 AM, dietmarbelloff <springmauser@...>wrote:

      > > I'm a tech. Always
      > > the first repair strategy if there are socket-ed chips.
      >
      > sorry, I wasn't aware of that.
      >

      > > The thing is built like a tank, I can't image physical damage from what
      > > happened. But I'll check voltages, thanks.
      >
      > Since the wall wart does only AC output, the complete voltage regulation is
      > done on the PCB, located around the power switch. Check voltages (I only see
      > one 3pin reg, so it should be an 7805) and all the mechanical components
      > (these could be harmed by the drop) such as capacitors and the coil on the
      > left side. The PCB has spares for another voltage reg (for Unitor8), see
      > pics.
      >

      > > I know there's static RAM in there somewhere. I bet it's full of garbage
      > and
      > > needs to be purged, perhaps with a sysex string. But what?
      >
      > There is static RAM on the PCB, directly beneath the EPROM (6264 in the
      > pics, the PCB is suited for 3 different chips and an additional flash rom
      > which is in place for the Untitor8). But since there is no static battery,
      > the static RAM is volatile. All setup is stored in a small EEPROM (must be
      > IC37) and this could be reseted by sounddiver, Untitor 8 control (which is a
      > stripped down sounddiver). There is a nice control panel for MacOSX here:
      > http://www.potm.org/software/Unitor/
      >
      > but AFAIR with no RESET functionality. I'm looking for a doc of the sysex
      > string for reseting the device.
      >
      > There is an LED blink code if EEPROM data is corrupt, have to look for the
      > specs in my docs.
      >

      > > I may just get a MOTU 5 in 5 out, that's all I need. Cheap.
      > >
      > > Probably get $50 for the oddball ATM8 power adapter.
      >
      > Well, before you trash it you could hand the thing over to me (if you live
      > in europe) :)

    • F Aitken
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2011
        Hi,
        I don't know if this sheds any light, but some time back I bought a Korg DSS1, hooked it up to my UM880 and the port it was on was continuously lit solid.  Midi didn't work at all.  It turned out, the circuit board the midi jack was on was damaged.  Changed the board and all was fine.

        I hooked up the AMT8 to the Mac and powered up. The LEDs strobe from 1 to 8
        (both in and out at the same time) on startup, but ends up LED 1 in and out
        are on constantly. The Sounddiver sees that ATM8 fine, indicates the
        firmware version etc., but there is no reset or LED blink I can find in the
        SD menus. I tried the SD MIDI loopback test, there is no MIDI detected
        coming in (the LEDs 1 in and out stay fully lit). Plus the panic LED came on
        once or twice during the many repeats of this test.

        It's got to be garbage in the EPROM.

        Help!

        Peter

        On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 4:38 AM, dietmarbelloff <springmauser@...>wrote:

        > > I'm a tech. Always
        > > the first repair strategy if there are socket-ed chips.
        >
        > sorry, I wasn't aware of that.
        >

        > > The thing is built like a tank, I can't image physical damage from what
        > > happened. But I'll check voltages, thanks.
        >
        > Since the wall wart does only AC output, the complete voltage regulation is
        > done on the PCB, located around the power switch. Check voltages (I only see
        > one 3pin reg, so it should be an 7805) and all the mechanical components
        > (these could be harmed by the drop) such as capacitors and the coil on the
        > left side. The PCB has spares for another voltage reg (for Unitor8), see
        > pics.
        >

        > > I know there's static RAM in there somewhere. I bet it's full of garbage
        > and
        > > needs to be purged, perhaps with a sysex string. But what?
        >
        > There is static RAM on the PCB, directly beneath the EPROM (6264 in the
        > pics, the PCB is suited for 3 different chips and an additional flash rom
        > which is in place for the Untitor8). But since there is no static battery,
        > the static RAM is volatile. All setup is stored in a small EEPROM (must be
        > IC37) and this could be reseted by sounddiver, Untitor 8 control (which is a
        > stripped down sounddiver). There is a nice control panel for MacOSX here:
        > http://www.potm.org/software/Unitor/
        >
        > but AFAIR with no RESET functionality. I'm looking for a doc of the sysex
        > string for reseting the device.
        >
        > There is an LED blink code if EEPROM data is corrupt, have to look for the
        > specs in my docs.
        >

        > > I may just get a MOTU 5 in 5 out, that's all I need. Cheap.
        > >
        > > Probably get $50 for the oddball ATM8 power adapter.
        >
        > Well, before you trash it you could hand the thing over to me (if you live
        > in europe) :)

      • dietmarbelloff
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 4, 2011
          > It's got to be garbage in the EPROM.
          >
          > Help!

          well if there is garbage in the *EPROM* you are in serious trouble:)

          just kidding, sorry. You meant garbage in EEPROM I suppose.

          Your description sounds like there is something wrong with the MIDI part of the interface. The ports are initialized but then something gets stuck.

          Try to set different filter options and LED brightness values or do some patchmode setups - just to write something to the EEPROM. If there is garbage in the EEPROM you should see this when you look at the patchmode setups. Normally, the firmware does an integrity check of the values in EEPROM for avoiding exactly this garbage. I think, it is an hardware problem. I don't know the type of EEPROM sitting inside the AMT8, but some of them are able to be resetted by hardware. My two blue boxes are in rack and in use, so I have to ask you for the exact type of EEPROM built in there - see my last posts with the IC numbering.