Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Vl1 v2 adaptation in 'Files' should it work under Sounddiver OSX?

Expand Messages
  • gluorescentfrey
    Hello, Lately I ve been having a great deal of fun using the beta version of Sound Diver 3 for OSX. I ve been able to communicate with my FS1R as well as my
    Message 1 of 25 , Jun 4, 2011
    • 0 Attachment
      Hello,

      Lately I've been having a great deal of fun using the beta version of Sound Diver 3 for OSX. I've been able to communicate with my FS1R as well as my Kawai K5000s with satisfying results. Only one thing left in my arsenal that i need to use Sounddiver with, the Yamaha Vl1. I've tried 2 adaptations i've found, one on here thats over 200k and one thats 20k that was from an unknown source. Neither of them when added to the emagic sub folder 'sounddiver adaptations' show up on the list. I tried doing a trick someone suggested here and renamed the Vl1 file to Vl70-m, now neither of them show up on the list haha.
      So i guess what im asking is what version of Sounddiver are the adaptations made for? Windows? Since i don't have much other hardware to test it on it's hard for me to determine if i'm doing something completely wrong for importing new adaptations (since the k5000 and fs1r come with the program) or if the Vl1 adaptation is hard to get to show up. Also where can one even find a copy of Sounddiver for OS9 or windows? The Mac osx beta one seems a lot easier to find....

      any help would be appreciated!
      thanks
      robbie
    • Les Lambert
      I can t help directly with this, but I do runĀ  the OSX beta version and both the PC version and the mac version of 3.04 or 5, depending on when I installed
      Message 2 of 25 , Jun 5, 2011
      • 0 Attachment
        I can't help directly with this, but I do runĀ  the OSX beta version and both the PC version and the mac version of 3.04 or 5, depending on when I installed it. Looking at the PC installation on this computer, the 20K version is there, that means it's the factory issue, as I don't have any additional adaptions besides the factory ones.

        The OSX beta version also has the 20k version and a 200k version for VL1-m.
        The OS 9 version, like the PC version, asks me to insert the CD every time I start it up and I'm fed up with that.

        My introduction to SoundDiver was through the specific version for the Korg TR Rack, and seem to remember that version working < better > than the proper version I bought later. Don't remember what it was though after all this time. Was there a special version shipped with the VL1 that may have had this other adaption?

        As I haven't got the instrument in question, that's all I can offer. Good luck.
      • ASSI
        ... On OS9 and OSX you need to set the creator (EMA6) and filetype (EM7F) if you import the files from a source that doesn t keep that information. OSX
        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 5, 2011
        • 0 Attachment
          On Saturday 04 June 2011, gluorescentfrey wrote:
          > Neither of them when added to
          > the emagic sub folder 'sounddiver adaptations' show up on the list. I
          > tried doing a trick someone suggested here and renamed the Vl1 file to
          > Vl70-m, now neither of them show up on the list haha.

          On OS9 and OSX you need to set the creator (EMA6) and filetype (EM7F) if you
          import the files from a source that doesn't keep that information. OSX
          doesn't really need that information anymore, but SoundDiver relies on it.


          Achim.
          --
          +<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+

          Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld:
          http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#BlofeldUserWavetables
        • Kurt Faasse
          Check with Yamaha tech support directly about whether they have a SoundDiver VL-1. The Ensoniq FIZMO I bought second hand came with it s own version that the
          Message 4 of 25 , Jun 5, 2011
          • 0 Attachment
            Check with Yamaha tech support directly about whether they have a
            SoundDiver VL-1. The Ensoniq FIZMO I bought second hand came with it's
            own version that the previous owner was diligent enough to retain. When
            I bought an Access Virus C, I queried Access tech support and the
            gentleman there emailed a copy of SoundDiver Virus C to me. The best
            thing to do is go straight to the source.

            I got licensed copies of SoundDiver for Mac and Windows after scouring
            eBay for months. Mostly from estate sales. Apparently people have to
            die before they'll let go of their SoundDiver. :) (Gallows humor.)
          • Ingo Debus
            ... Any idea how one would do that on a Mac that doesn t run classic mode anymore? The bigger VL adaptations are probably from the files section of this
            Message 5 of 25 , Jun 5, 2011
            • 0 Attachment
              Am 05.06.2011 um 17:32 schrieb ASSI:

              > On OS9 and OSX you need to set the creator (EMA6) and filetype (EM7F) if you
              > import the files from a source that doesn't keep that information

              Any idea how one would do that on a Mac that doesn't run classic mode anymore?

              The "bigger" VL adaptations are probably from the files section of this group where I uploaded them ages ago. Unfortunately I didn't pack them into ZIP archives before uploading back then, so the creator and file type are lost.

              To the original poster: don't bother with the VL adaptations if you're using the OSX public beta. Due to the checksum bug they don't work anyway :-(

              Here's the good news: there is an editor/librarian program for the VL family running under OSX. It even can convert VL1(-m, 7) voices from and to VL70-m voices. Look here:
              <http://www-acad.sheridanc.on.ca/~degazio/AboutMeFolder/SoftwareDesign.html>
              Scroll down to the bottom of the page. It's beta, but it works.

              Ingo
            • jkorchok
              Here is a free download from Apple that let s you set Creator and Type under OS X:
              Message 6 of 25 , Jun 6, 2011
              • 0 Attachment
                Here is a free download from Apple that let's you set Creator and Type under OS X:

                http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/automator/changefiletypeandcreator.html

                John Korchok

                --- In sounddiver-users@yahoogroups.com, Ingo Debus <igg.debus@...> wrote:
                >
                >
                > Am 05.06.2011 um 17:32 schrieb ASSI:
                >
                > > On OS9 and OSX you need to set the creator (EMA6) and filetype (EM7F) if you
                > > import the files from a source that doesn't keep that information
                >
                > Any idea how one would do that on a Mac that doesn't run classic mode anymore?
                >
                > The "bigger" VL adaptations are probably from the files section of this group where I uploaded them ages ago. Unfortunately I didn't pack them into ZIP archives before uploading back then, so the creator and file type are lost.
                >
                > To the original poster: don't bother with the VL adaptations if you're using the OSX public beta. Due to the checksum bug they don't work anyway :-(
                >
                > Here's the good news: there is an editor/librarian program for the VL family running under OSX. It even can convert VL1(-m, 7) voices from and to VL70-m voices. Look here:
                > <http://www-acad.sheridanc.on.ca/~degazio/AboutMeFolder/SoftwareDesign.html>
                > Scroll down to the bottom of the page. It's beta, but it works.
                >
                > Ingo
                >
              • Colin Shapiro
                To all the good folks on this forum: My understanding from what I ve read is that Apple s new OS 10.7 (Lion) will no longer provide support for Power PC apps
                Message 7 of 25 , Jun 7, 2011
                • 0 Attachment
                  To all the good folks on this forum:

                  My understanding from what I've read is that Apple's new OS 10.7 (Lion) will no longer provide support for Power PC apps under Rosetta.

                  This means that SoundDiver will no longer work if we upgrade to 10.7.

                  I really believe that Apple has been totally negligent as far as SoundDiver is concerned. They bought out Emagic many years ago and developed Logic and Waveburner, but SoundDiver has just been shelved.

                  I intend to write to Apple support and ask them to include a Universal or Intel update to SoundDiver in the next revision of Logic Studio. Either that, or they should release the code to users like us, some of whom could possibly collaborate in creating an update.

                  I suggest that everyone following this forum does the same. If Apple gets only one e-mail from me, it'll vanish in seconds. But if everyone here writes to Apple and asks for what I've outlined above, maybe tens, maybe hundreds of emails will suddenly appear and Apple will perhaps take some notice.

                  I suggest using the feedback form for Logic Pro:
                  http://www.apple.com/feedback/logicpro.html

                  Logic Pro is the flagship music app and SoundDiver could certainly be bundled into Logic Studio - it's unlikely it would be released as a separate app.

                  What does everyone think....?

                  Regards
                  Colin
                • pbemb@midiguy.com
                  I agree with you!! Midi Synths haven t disappeared and many people still use racks so it should be either a part of Logic or the code should be put into the
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jun 7, 2011
                  • 0 Attachment
                    I agree with you!!

                    Midi Synths haven't disappeared and many people still use racks so it should be either a part of Logic or the code should be put into the public domain or open source. I've told this to the local rep and he response is soft synths are the future for Apple, so getting the code from Apple maybe the only option.

                    Peter Brunner
                    The Electronic Music Box

                    Quoting Colin Shapiro <musos@...>:

                    > To all the good folks on this forum:
                    >
                    > My understanding from what I've read is that Apple's new OS 10.7
                    > (Lion) will no longer provide support for Power PC apps under Rosetta.
                    >
                    > This means that SoundDiver will no longer work if we upgrade to 10.7.
                    >
                    > I really believe that Apple has been totally negligent as far as
                    > SoundDiver is concerned. They bought out Emagic many years ago and
                    > developed Logic and Waveburner, but SoundDiver has just been shelved.
                    >
                    > I intend to write to Apple support and ask them to include a
                    > Universal or Intel update to SoundDiver in the next revision of Logic
                    > Studio. Either that, or they should release the code to users like
                    > us, some of whom could possibly collaborate in creating an update.
                    >
                    > I suggest that everyone following this forum does the same. If Apple
                    > gets only one e-mail from me, it'll vanish in seconds. But if
                    > everyone here writes to Apple and asks for what I've outlined above,
                    > maybe tens, maybe hundreds of emails will suddenly appear and Apple
                    > will perhaps take some notice.
                    >
                    > I suggest using the feedback form for Logic Pro:
                    > http://www.apple.com/feedback/logicpro.html
                    >
                    > Logic Pro is the flagship music app and SoundDiver could certainly be
                    > bundled into Logic Studio - it's unlikely it would be released as a
                    > separate app.
                    >
                    > What does everyone think....?
                    >
                    > Regards
                    > Colin


                    [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                  • jkorchok
                    It can t hurt to write to Apple. My comments to them were: Apple bought the Sound Diver application several years ago, but has never re-released a contemporary
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jun 7, 2011
                    • 0 Attachment
                      It can't hurt to write to Apple. My comments to them were:

                      Apple bought the Sound Diver application several years ago, but has never re-released a contemporary version of it. Sound Diver is a powerful and flexible tool that streamlines music-making. For those of us who use Sound Diver, we find it is invaluable in our music production routines.
                      As a music industry professional, I am requesting that you update Sound Diver to current OS requirements and either release it as a separate application or bundle it with Logic 10.

                      John Korchok

                      --- In sounddiver-users@yahoogroups.com, Colin Shapiro <musos@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > To all the good folks on this forum:
                      >
                      > My understanding from what I've read is that Apple's new OS 10.7 (Lion) will no longer provide support for Power PC apps under Rosetta.
                      >
                      > This means that SoundDiver will no longer work if we upgrade to 10.7.
                      >
                      > I really believe that Apple has been totally negligent as far as SoundDiver is concerned. They bought out Emagic many years ago and developed Logic and Waveburner, but SoundDiver has just been shelved.
                      >
                      > I intend to write to Apple support and ask them to include a Universal or Intel update to SoundDiver in the next revision of Logic Studio. Either that, or they should release the code to users like us, some of whom could possibly collaborate in creating an update.
                      >
                      > I suggest that everyone following this forum does the same. If Apple gets only one e-mail from me, it'll vanish in seconds. But if everyone here writes to Apple and asks for what I've outlined above, maybe tens, maybe hundreds of emails will suddenly appear and Apple will perhaps take some notice.
                      >
                      > I suggest using the feedback form for Logic Pro:
                      > http://www.apple.com/feedback/logicpro.html
                      >
                      > Logic Pro is the flagship music app and SoundDiver could certainly be bundled into Logic Studio - it's unlikely it would be released as a separate app.
                      >
                      > What does everyone think....?
                      >
                      > Regards
                      > Colin
                      >
                    • Smith
                      I would welcome the release of the coding for sounddiver even though im a pc / cubase user. Sounddiver is, and always has been, the bridge between my hardware
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jun 7, 2011
                      • 0 Attachment
                        I would welcome the release of the coding for sounddiver even though im a pc / cubase user.
                        Sounddiver is, and always has been, the bridge between my hardware and software and since apple has seemed to have stopped making hardware i think it's only right that they release the coding as users can then make NEW adaptations for any new hardware that comes onto the market.
                        It may not make apple a profit but as they bulldozed their way into buying Emagic then shelved sounddiver they sould give it to us for free.

                        No other software comes close to integrating my WHOLE studio.

                        Apple needs to pull thier fingers out of thier asses and stop making things that just look good yet don't work.
                        Blown up ipod anyone?

                        All apples rot, eventually

                        R.I.P. Emagic.

                        DJHD





                        [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                      • Kurt Faasse
                        They ll see the emails... from every SoundDiver user who upgrades not knowing what lies in store, and who then has to format and rebuild their machine to get
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jun 7, 2011
                        • 0 Attachment
                          They'll see the emails... from every SoundDiver user who upgrades not
                          knowing what lies in store, and who then has to format and rebuild their
                          machine to get it back to working order. Oh, the fur will fly. I
                          wonder if anyone at Apple reads these entries? Just to keep an eye on
                          what the proles are feeling, I would imagine.
                        • Graham Atkins
                          ... Likewise for those of us who invested in PPC computers like my G5 !!. Graham
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jun 7, 2011
                          • 0 Attachment
                            On 7 Jun 2011, at 16:12, Colin Shapiro wrote:

                            > To all the good folks on this forum:
                            >
                            > My understanding from what I've read is that Apple's new OS 10.7
                            > (Lion) will no longer provide support for Power PC apps under Rosetta.
                            >
                            > This means that SoundDiver will no longer work if we upgrade to 10.7.
                            >
                            > I really believe that Apple has been totally negligent as far as
                            > SoundDiver is concerned.
                            >
                            Likewise for those of us who invested in PPC computers like my G5 !!.

                            Graham
                          • Craig Michael
                            I will concur. I d love to see support for SoundDiver or sounddiver-esque functionality in Apple s new logic 10 when it is released. It s great that apple
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jun 7, 2011
                            • 0 Attachment
                              I will concur. I'd love to see support for SoundDiver or sounddiver-esque functionality in Apple's new logic 10 when it is released. It's great that apple feels soft synths are it's future in the audio world, but as of right now, Apple's attempts at high quality soft synths have fallen below the mark that it's plugin competitors have been releasing in today's market. I mean look at the exs24 sampler, or ultrabeat... Theres a ton of room for improvement. Personally, I don't even care about better soft Synths from apple. They can't compete with izotope, fxpansion, Steve Duda, waves audio, or slate digital. They can compete, however, with Avid by providing us a better Logic! My personal feeling is that while the
                              Included bundled plugs are a fantastic package deal, I want a full fledged uninhibited MIDI environment to work inside. Not supporting or even including the ability to work with hardware Synths or samplers the way
                              SoundDiver allows us is handicapping the MIDI capabilities that earned logic it's reputation as the defacto MIDI tool.
                              I will support this cause. I suggest everyone on this forum should also let apple know what YOU want.


                              Craig Michael

                              On Jun 7, 2011, at 11:12 AM, Colin Shapiro <musos@...> wrote:

                              > To all the good folks on this forum:
                              >
                              > My understanding from what I've read is that Apple's new OS 10.7 (Lion) will no longer provide support for Power PC apps under Rosetta.
                              >
                              > This means that SoundDiver will no longer work if we upgrade to 10.7.
                              >
                              > I really believe that Apple has been totally negligent as far as SoundDiver is concerned. They bought out Emagic many years ago and developed Logic and Waveburner, but SoundDiver has just been shelved.
                              >
                              > I intend to write to Apple support and ask them to include a Universal or Intel update to SoundDiver in the next revision of Logic Studio. Either that, or they should release the code to users like us, some of whom could possibly collaborate in creating an update.
                              >
                              > I suggest that everyone following this forum does the same. If Apple gets only one e-mail from me, it'll vanish in seconds. But if everyone here writes to Apple and asks for what I've outlined above, maybe tens, maybe hundreds of emails will suddenly appear and Apple will perhaps take some notice.
                              >
                              > I suggest using the feedback form for Logic Pro:
                              > http://www.apple.com/feedback/logicpro.html
                              >
                              > Logic Pro is the flagship music app and SoundDiver could certainly be bundled into Logic Studio - it's unlikely it would be released as a separate app.
                              >
                              > What does everyone think....?
                              >
                              > Regards
                              > Colin
                              >
                              > ------------------------------------
                              >
                              > The LUG has a new home: http://www.logic-users-group.com/
                              > - To UNSUBSCRIBE: email sounddiver-users-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                              > Yahoo! Groups Links
                              >
                              >
                              >
                            • Peter P Sturges
                              I say get used to fragmented technology. I m a network admin. I still have NT boxes and 32 bit Server 2003 running to support legacy apps at work. I have a
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jun 7, 2011
                              • 0 Attachment
                                I say get used to fragmented technology.

                                I'm a network admin. I still have NT boxes and 32 bit Server 2003 running to
                                support legacy apps at work. I have a personal OS 9 Tibook for SD and my
                                Eudora email archive. And XP will be here forever, despite Microsoft trying
                                to kill it.

                                Current Macs running 10.6 will be viable for at least 10 year going forward,
                                probably more. How much computing power do you need? I have 25 yr old
                                synths, why not 25 year old computers?

                                Stublito

                                On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 5:12 AM, Colin Shapiro <musos@...> wrote:

                                > To all the good folks on this forum:
                                >
                                > My understanding from what I've read is that Apple's new OS 10.7 (Lion)
                                > will no longer provide support for Power PC apps under Rosetta.
                                >
                                > This means that SoundDiver will no longer work if we upgrade to 10.7.
                                >
                                > I really believe that Apple has been totally negligent as far as SoundDiver
                                > is concerned. They bought out Emagic many years ago and developed Logic and
                                > Waveburner, but SoundDiver has just been shelved.
                                >
                                > I intend to write to Apple support and ask them to include a Universal or
                                > Intel update to SoundDiver in the next revision of Logic Studio. Either
                                > that, or they should release the code to users like us, some of whom could
                                > possibly collaborate in creating an update.
                                >
                                > I suggest that everyone following this forum does the same. If Apple gets
                                > only one e-mail from me, it'll vanish in seconds. But if everyone here
                                > writes to Apple and asks for what I've outlined above, maybe tens, maybe
                                > hundreds of emails will suddenly appear and Apple will perhaps take some
                                > notice.
                                >
                                > I suggest using the feedback form for Logic Pro:
                                > http://www.apple.com/feedback/logicpro.html
                                >
                                > Logic Pro is the flagship music app and SoundDiver could certainly be
                                > bundled into Logic Studio - it's unlikely it would be released as a separate
                                > app.
                                >
                                > What does everyone think....?
                                >
                                > Regards
                                > Colin
                                >
                                > ------------------------------------
                                >
                                > The LUG has a new home: http://www.logic-users-group.com/
                                > - To UNSUBSCRIBE: email sounddiver-users-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                                > Yahoo! Groups Links
                                >
                                >
                                >
                                >


                                [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                              • Willi
                                Hi Friends i have posted our wish for Sounddiver in new Logic to Apple: Please give Sounddiver a new Live in a newer Logic Version. The sound of old synths
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jun 8, 2011
                                • 0 Attachment
                                  Hi Friends

                                  i have posted our wish for "Sounddiver in new Logic" to Apple:


                                  Please give Sounddiver a new Live in a newer Logic Version.
                                  The sound of old synths and effects still lives and will live many more years.

                                  Sound Divers is the bridge between logic and the old equipment that we love and want to continue using.

                                  So if you give Sounddiver no chance in the new version of Logic, please release the source code to the people who would like to develop.

                                  I still have my old G4 running with Sounddiver and a new G5.

                                  I am user in sounddiver-users@yahoogroups.com

                                  Best regards.

                                  Falk
                                  MusicProducer
                                  Germany


                                  Am 07.06.2011 um 17:12 schrieb Colin Shapiro:

                                  > To all the good folks on this forum:
                                  >
                                  > My understanding from what I've read is that Apple's new OS 10.7 (Lion) will no longer provide support for Power PC apps under Rosetta.
                                  >
                                  > This means that SoundDiver will no longer work if we upgrade to 10.7.
                                  >
                                  > I really believe that Apple has been totally negligent as far as SoundDiver is concerned. They bought out Emagic many years ago and developed Logic and Waveburner, but SoundDiver has just been shelved.
                                  >
                                  > I intend to write to Apple support and ask them to include a Universal or Intel update to SoundDiver in the next revision of Logic Studio. Either that, or they should release the code to users like us, some of whom could possibly collaborate in creating an update.
                                  >
                                  > I suggest that everyone following this forum does the same. If Apple gets only one e-mail from me, it'll vanish in seconds. But if everyone here writes to Apple and asks for what I've outlined above, maybe tens, maybe hundreds of emails will suddenly appear and Apple will perhaps take some notice.
                                  >
                                  > I suggest using the feedback form for Logic Pro:
                                  > http://www.apple.com/feedback/logicpro.html
                                  >
                                  > Logic Pro is the flagship music app and SoundDiver could certainly be bundled into Logic Studio - it's unlikely it would be released as a separate app.
                                  >
                                  > What does everyone think....?
                                  >
                                  > Regards
                                  > Colin
                                  >
                                  >



                                  [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                                • Colin Shapiro
                                  That may be acceptable for you, but I don t really want my computing experience to be forever frozen at OS 10.6 I have kept an old legacy Mac for running OS9
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jun 8, 2011
                                  • 0 Attachment
                                    That may be acceptable for you, but I don't really want my computing experience to be forever frozen at OS 10.6

                                    I have kept an old "legacy" Mac for running OS9 stuff and opening old files when required, but I want my current computer to take advantage of the latest improvements. Also, newer Macs will be released that only boot into 10.7 and higher. I run a very demanding setup and need all the power I can get.

                                    Your OS9 Tibook will someday just die (like mine did last year) and then what....?



                                    On Jun 07, 2011, at 20:14, Peter P Sturges wrote:

                                    > I say get used to fragmented technology.
                                    >
                                    > I'm a network admin. I still have NT boxes and 32 bit Server 2003 running to
                                    > support legacy apps at work. I have a personal OS 9 Tibook for SD and my
                                    > Eudora email archive. And XP will be here forever, despite Microsoft trying
                                    > to kill it.
                                    >
                                    > Current Macs running 10.6 will be viable for at least 10 year going forward,
                                    > probably more. How much computing power do you need? I have 25 yr old
                                    > synths, why not 25 year old computers?
                                    >
                                    > Stublito
                                  • Colin Shapiro
                                    Hi Philippe, I did consider starting a petition as well, but I m not sure it would be as effective as simply sending in feedback at Apple s support page. As
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jun 8, 2011
                                    • 0 Attachment
                                      Hi Philippe,

                                      I did consider starting a petition as well, but I'm not sure it would be as effective as simply sending in feedback at Apple's support page.

                                      As for a "template" to send, how about this:

                                      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                                      I am a long-time user of SoundDiver software, which was originally created by Emagic and then taken over by Apple. Apple has put a lot of effort into advancing and updating Logic (and also Waveburner) but SoundDiver seems to have been totally neglected and possibly even shelved.

                                      SoundDiver is used by many audio professionals and amateurs alike and was the top app for interfacing with studio hardware like keyboards, synthesizers, samplers and effects units. Many of us still rely on SoundDiver to edit settings on our hardware as well as to back up settings and patches to libraries on the Mac.

                                      It is a hugely valuable tool.

                                      However, SoundDiver is a PowerPC application and with Lion soon to be released, many of us are faced with a difficult choice: either lose the essential functionality of SoundDiver when upgrading to Lion (a terrible option) or stay with Snow Leopard or lower and lose out on the great new features of Lion.

                                      I would like to request that Apple does the following:
                                      - Update SoundDiver to be a Universal app
                                      - Include SoundDiver in the next version of Logic Studio
                                      or
                                      - Sell SoundDiver as a separate app

                                      Failing any of the above, we as a large group of users respectfully request that Apple releases the code for SoundDiver so that users may perform these updates themselves.

                                      PLEASE give this request your careful consideration. We understand that Apple's future is in software synths and samplers, but many of us have essential legacy hardware that is not near to becoming obsolete. We want to continue having the superb control of our hardware that SoundDiver offers.

                                      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

                                      Obviously everyone can modify the wording above and add or remove sections to personalize the submission.

                                      Hope this helps

                                      Colin

                                      ___________________________________________________________________

                                      On Jun 07, 2011, at 17:28, Phil a wrote:

                                      > Hi Colin,
                                      >
                                      > I think your idea is great, but to maximize participation and Apple's identification of the request I would suggest :
                                      > 1. either to phrase a general email and share it with the list so that everyone sends the same email (in addition, all those who wouldn't know how or would not have the time to phrase it would just have to copy-paste your text instead of forgetting the idea), this would make the request much more identifiable from Apple's offices I am sure.
                                      > 2. either to open an internet page like a petition page where anyone could sign and then send the link to Apple, although the latter seems less efficient to me.
                                      > 3. either both solutions together.
                                      >
                                      > Just my 2 cents...
                                      >
                                      > Philippe




                                      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                                    • Smith
                                      Don t forget us PC / Sounddiver users ;) DJHD [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jun 8, 2011
                                      • 0 Attachment
                                        Don't forget us PC / Sounddiver users ;)

                                        DJHD

                                        [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                                      • Ron
                                        @DJHD wrote Don t forget us PC / Sounddiver users Absolutely! I really don t want to buy a new midi librarian system simply because the current owners of the
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jun 8, 2011
                                        • 0 Attachment
                                          @DJHD wrote "Don't forget us PC / Sounddiver users"

                                          Absolutely!

                                          I really don't want to buy a new midi librarian system simply because
                                          the current owners of the software have stopped development on the PC
                                          platform. It would be better if Apple released the source code to the
                                          public domain so that we stand a chance of running the software
                                          successfully on any platform, although ,I shudder to think about
                                          performance on an Adroid phone ;)

                                          Ron.
                                        • dietmarbelloff
                                          ... Having joined the party starting with Polyframe in 1991, I also like to see a new version of SoundDiver, but I m afraid this will never happen, even if you
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jul 7, 2011
                                          • 0 Attachment
                                            > What does everyone think....?

                                            Having joined the party starting with Polyframe in 1991, I also like to see a new version of SoundDiver, but I'm afraid this will never happen, even if you write to Apple as a request etc.

                                            The problem with SoundDiver was the crossplatform library they wrote (Atari, Mac, PC), and it did not work well under OSX as you see. So they will have to do a complete rewrite of the code, and since Steve Jobs thinks that MIDI hardware is obsolete, this will never happen. Same thing with bluRay in Macs, btw.

                                            If this was not Apple, we could collect some money and make them an offer to by the code from them - no chance. We could of course try to contact main developer Michael and hear what he says, but I say: no chance. if Apple ceases a product it is gone forever and no one ever will get his hands on it - see Newton platform.

                                            Now, we have to think about alternatives. Some Ideas:

                                            1. Use Studio Connections and GTRS (http://www.studioconnections.org/concept/index.html), works as a librarian and does Sysex very well, but nearly no one knows about that. There is an SDK for more and specialized integration, but for most things the templates will do, written in XML language.

                                            2. start a community project:
                                            look for programmers having skills and the interest to help with a crossplatform standalone software having the functionality of souddiver and reads the data (libraries). I think most uf us here are even willing to donate money in such a project, right?

                                            Anyone with more ideas on this? like to see them.

                                            just my 2 cents:)

                                            Greets, Dietmar
                                          • Graham Atkins
                                            I agree with everything you say about Apple. Saying Please to Steve Jobs will not do any good unless he sees $$$$$ in front of it :-) There are people out
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jul 7, 2011
                                            • 0 Attachment
                                              I agree with everything you say about Apple. Saying "Please" to Steve
                                              Jobs will not do any good unless he sees $$$$$ in front of it :-)

                                              There are people out there with excellent programming skills and an
                                              "Open Source" Midi Manager would be great if it could be done.

                                              Graham

                                              On 7 Jul 2011, at 10:19, dietmarbelloff wrote:

                                              >
                                              > > What does everyone think....?
                                              >
                                              > Having joined the party starting with Polyframe in 1991, I also like
                                              > to see a new version of SoundDiver, but I'm afraid this will never
                                              > happen, even if you write to Apple as a request etc.
                                              >
                                              > The problem with SoundDiver was the crossplatform library they wrote
                                              > (Atari, Mac, PC), and it did not work well under OSX as you see. So
                                              > they will have to do a complete rewrite of the code, and since Steve
                                              > Jobs thinks that MIDI hardware is obsolete, this will never happen.
                                              > Same thing with bluRay in Macs, btw.
                                              >
                                              > If this was not Apple, we could collect some money and make them an
                                              > offer to by the code from them - no chance. We could of course try
                                              > to contact main developer Michael and hear what he says, but I say:
                                              > no chance. if Apple ceases a product it is gone forever and no one
                                              > ever will get his hands on it - see Newton platform.
                                              >
                                              > Now, we have to think about alternatives. Some Ideas:
                                              >
                                              > 1. Use Studio Connections and GTRS (http://www.studioconnections.org/concept/index.html
                                              > ), works as a librarian and does Sysex very well, but nearly no one
                                              > knows about that. There is an SDK for more and specialized
                                              > integration, but for most things the templates will do, written in
                                              > XML language.
                                              >
                                              > 2. start a community project:
                                              > look for programmers having skills and the interest to help with a
                                              > crossplatform standalone software having the functionality of
                                              > souddiver and reads the data (libraries). I think most uf us here
                                              > are even willing to donate money in such a project, right?
                                              >
                                              > Anyone with more ideas on this? like to see them.
                                              >
                                              > just my 2 cents:)
                                              >
                                              > Greets, Dietmar
                                              >
                                              >
                                              >
                                            • Wilson Zorn
                                              I think an open source editor/librarian (regardless of whether it s freeware or commercial or somewhere inbetween) would be great - you d think that, given how
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Jul 7, 2011
                                              • 0 Attachment
                                                I think an open source editor/librarian (regardless of whether it's freeware
                                                or commercial or somewhere inbetween) would be great - you'd think that,
                                                given how many programmers are musicians, this'd've already taken off, but
                                                ... anyway if anyone has "ins" into any of the developer communities, I
                                                think that would be great if we could find people skilled and passionate.

                                                On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 2:19 AM, dietmarbelloff <springmauser@...>wrote:

                                                >
                                                > > What does everyone think....?
                                                >
                                                > Having joined the party starting with Polyframe in 1991, I also like to see
                                                > a new version of SoundDiver, but I'm afraid this will never happen, even if
                                                > you write to Apple as a request etc.
                                                >
                                                > The problem with SoundDiver was the crossplatform library they wrote
                                                > (Atari, Mac, PC), and it did not work well under OSX as you see. So they
                                                > will have to do a complete rewrite of the code, and since Steve Jobs thinks
                                                > that MIDI hardware is obsolete, this will never happen. Same thing with
                                                > bluRay in Macs, btw.
                                                >
                                                > If this was not Apple, we could collect some money and make them an offer
                                                > to by the code from them - no chance. We could of course try to contact main
                                                > developer Michael and hear what he says, but I say: no chance. if Apple
                                                > ceases a product it is gone forever and no one ever will get his hands on it
                                                > - see Newton platform.
                                                >
                                                > Now, we have to think about alternatives. Some Ideas:
                                                >
                                                > 1. Use Studio Connections and GTRS (
                                                > http://www.studioconnections.org/concept/index.html), works as a librarian
                                                > and does Sysex very well, but nearly no one knows about that. There is an
                                                > SDK for more and specialized integration, but for most things the templates
                                                > will do, written in XML language.
                                                >
                                                > 2. start a community project:
                                                > look for programmers having skills and the interest to help with a
                                                > crossplatform standalone software having the functionality of souddiver and
                                                > reads the data (libraries). I think most uf us here are even willing to
                                                > donate money in such a project, right?
                                                >
                                                > Anyone with more ideas on this? like to see them.
                                                >
                                                > just my 2 cents:)
                                                >
                                                > Greets, Dietmar
                                                >
                                                >
                                                >
                                                > ------------------------------------
                                                >
                                                > The LUG has a new home: http://www.logic-users-group.com/
                                                > - To UNSUBSCRIBE: email sounddiver-users-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                                                > Yahoo! Groups Links
                                                >
                                                >
                                                >
                                                >


                                                [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                                              • dietmarbelloff
                                                Sorry, I forgot one possible solution: Use sheepshaver (this emulates a PPC Mac, max System is 9.0.4) and use it with classic OS - maybe this works better as
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Aug 14, 2011
                                                • 0 Attachment
                                                  Sorry, I forgot one possible solution:

                                                  Use sheepshaver (this emulates a PPC Mac, max System is 9.0.4) and use it with classic OS - maybe this works better as in OSX. Will try this next time.
                                                • Colin Shapiro
                                                  ... Thanks for the suggestion. Installing and running SheepShaver looks like quite a mission. Please let us know if you have any success with it. Thanks Colin
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Aug 15, 2011
                                                  • 0 Attachment
                                                    On Aug 14, 2011, at 22:53, dietmarbelloff wrote:

                                                    > Sorry, I forgot one possible solution:
                                                    >
                                                    > Use sheepshaver (this emulates a PPC Mac, max System is 9.0.4) and use it with classic OS - maybe this works better as in OSX. Will try this next time.

                                                    Thanks for the suggestion.

                                                    Installing and running SheepShaver looks like quite a mission. Please let us know if you have any success with it.

                                                    Thanks
                                                    Colin
                                                  • Peter P Sturges
                                                    I m thinking that 10.6 on a last year s model Mac will still have a significant lifespan, perhaps 6-8 years. I still have a Powerbook G4 running OS 9 I
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Aug 15, 2011
                                                    • 0 Attachment
                                                      I'm thinking that 10.6 on a last year's model Mac will still have a
                                                      significant lifespan, perhaps 6-8 years. I still have a Powerbook G4
                                                      running OS 9 I occasionally use.

                                                      Long term, as long as USB is still supported, emulation of old
                                                      hardware will become easier as computer horsepower increases. I
                                                      imagine a G4 virtual machine being written in Java at some point in
                                                      the future.

                                                      Finally, never trust Apple to keep doing anything. The recent Final
                                                      Cut Pro debacle proves this.

                                                      Stublito

                                                      On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 9:40 AM, Colin Shapiro <musos@...> wrote:
                                                      >
                                                      > On Aug 14, 2011, at 22:53, dietmarbelloff wrote:
                                                      >
                                                      >> Sorry, I forgot one possible solution:
                                                      >>
                                                      >> Use sheepshaver (this emulates a PPC Mac, max System is 9.0.4) and use it with classic OS - maybe this works better as in OSX. Will try this next time.
                                                      >
                                                      > Thanks for the suggestion.
                                                      >
                                                      > Installing and running SheepShaver looks like quite a mission. Please let us know if you have any success with it.
                                                      >
                                                      > Thanks
                                                      > Colin
                                                      >
                                                      > ------------------------------------
                                                      >
                                                      > The LUG has a new home: http://www.logic-users-group.com/
                                                      > - To UNSUBSCRIBE: email sounddiver-users-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                                                      > Yahoo! Groups Links
                                                      >
                                                      >
                                                      >
                                                      >
                                                    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.