SoundDiver on Powerbook G3 Lombard w/ Keyspan USA-28X running OS9.2.2

  • Mein Greg
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 5, 2007
      Hi all, a question for the mac techies.

      I've had a Roland XP-30 I bought new years ago. The included disc contained the XP/JV version of SoundDiver and although the original disk version 2 would never work I used the version 3 update that was available from win98 right up to the present with winXP. It's had a few quirks but overall it's served me well for editing the keyboard for many years now, under windows.

      Recently I picked up a Mac powerbook G3 Lombard 333mhz laptop running OS9. Actually I bought the computer to setup a MOTU MTP II unit I had and though it's a loooooong story I finally got that rig to work with a Keyspan USA-28X USB to serial interface. The "X" denotes that the interface has "external clock", an additional signal that is required for midi.

      Now, the other night I thought to myself I should hook up the keyboard to the powerbook computer and see how the 'ole SoundDiver program looks on the mac. I couldn't get it to work. Today I downloaded the version 3 update for OS9 but yet the SoundDiver program can't find or communicate with the keyboard either through the MTP II or connected directly via a serial cable. I've tried different configs but just can't seem to get it.

      Anyone able to offer some advice here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.
    • groba69
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 21, 2007
        Hi Greg

        I may be wrong - haven't worked for a long time under MacOS 9.2 - but have you installed
        OMS (latest version 2.3.8) and gave it a try?
        To download under e.g.
        http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Audio/Open-Music-System-OMS.shtml

        Greets
        groba
      • Mein Greg
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 23, 2007
          >Hi Greg

          >I may be wrong - haven't worked for a long time under MacOS 9.2 - but >have you installed
          >OMS (latest version 2.3.8) and gave it a try?
          >To download under e.g.
          >http://mac.softpedi a.com/get/ Audio/Open- Music-System- OMS.shtml

          >Greets
          >groba

          Hi Groba, I'd actually gotten it to work and did some editing on my XP-30 however it was a real struggle between OMS and FreeMIDI, they both want control of the "system". What would be really nice now would be to have a method of switching between the two as I'm not even sure I could do it again!
          I have to switch because the MOTU midi interfaces require FreeMIDI while the SoundDiver program requires OMS.
        • groba69
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 23, 2007
            Hi Greg
            I never worked with FreeMIDI, so I am not familiar with it. I don't know the MIDI Time Piece
            interfaces neither.
            At least there is a OMS driver for the MIDI Time Piece (maybe only for version I ???) usually
            under System Folder/OMS Folder/. Is this driver present? When yes - give it a try and
            deinstall FreeMIDI for a change.

            Greets
            groba