Re: question concerning Amy Rose

  • Nigel Kitching
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 31, 2004
      "I liked this
      other Amy (it's much better than the offical Amy we have now thats
      for sure) but I thought the lack of possible romance was a shame :\."

      I was disappointed in what happened with Amy too - I was quite fond of the character and she was fun to write. To begin with.

      What happened was something like this:

      Firstly I'd just like to point out that I was always more interested in the flawed part of my characters than the heroic parts. Well, Sonic and co weren't my characters but you know what I mean. Sonic was full of himself and insensitive, Tails was pathologically loyal, Porker lacked the confidence to stick up for himself and Johnny didn't really face up to things very well. So when Amy was introduced I wanted to give her a really strong personality too in terms of that negative aspect. I also wanted a character that could inject a little humour into the series. It is sometimes said that my Stories didn't have humour in them - this just isn't true but it is something that people say for some reason. Maybe because Lew's stuff slanted most of his stories towards the humour, I don't know...

      Anyway...

      I wanted to give Amy a personality that would be humorous plus I wanted to add a member to the Freedom Fighters who was an irritant - somebody who stirred things up a bit and who would be a irritation to Sonic. I've also always been a fan of those Hollywood screwball comedy movies of the 1930s and 40s. Here the stories would essentially be romantic comedies but the stars were often the women and not the men - people like Claudette Colbert or Katherine Hepburn. In these films the women would tend to be unpredictable and scatty. In one of my favourites, It's A Wonderful World (not, It's A Wonderful Life) most of the trouble is caused by the star behaving in a unpredictable way.

      So that was one influence. It's this kind of thing that gave me the idea to have Amy claim to be Sonic's girlfriend (although at the time she didn't even know him). This obviously led me to think about how Sonic would react to Amy. I thought it would be far more fun if he was outraged by the idea. I also thought it would be even better if he was flustered and embarrassed by it too. If Sonic is embarrassed then the power is with Amy. I also never made it clear if she really did fancy Sonic at all or if she just enjoyed teasing Sonic for the reaction - you know what girls can be like... I remember a girl when I was at school who.... actually, let's not go there.

      But what Amy was not and never was was some weak soppy character who swooned over Sonic like a silly little girl. Well, she did but were were never quite sure if she just doing it for a laugh.

      However, I have to confess that in the early stories she was taken prisoner a couple of times and this may not have been a good idea. But it was a very useful story device. But I don't think we ever had Amy being scared, sobbing or begging for mercy. She was brave as anybody else. I also made sure that she had the most lethal weapon.

      So this was all going fine. I had the idea for a little love triangle story involving Johnny. The idea here would have been to have Johnny genuinely been attracted to Amy, Amy being friendly with Johnny (but not in a romantic way really) and Sonic being troubled by feeling of jealously and having to come to terms with the possibility that he had feeling for this girl who he could not stand. None of that worked out though.

      As Deborah started to flex her editorial muscles I was told to change my approach to Amy. I can't remember exactly how it panned out but I do remember part of one conversation where I tried to explain to Deborah that Amy was not some sexual stereotype at all but Deb was having none of it. She insisted that because Amy was the only girl in the comic she alone represented the female species and she had to be seen to be a role model. Amy had to be more mature and sensible than anyone else in the strip. To me this is a genuinely insulting stereotype. All the boys get to have a rounded personality with their good points and their far more interesting flaws but Amy is stuck as a one dimensional character who was just no fun. As I recall all my good Amy dialogue was getting butchered to try to make her conform to editorial policy and now I was being told, in no uncertain terms, that I was to stop writing her the way I wanted to. I asked Deborah to let me try one more time to do Amy my way. I wrote a story where I wrote her as I had conceived her but in such a way to try to make it more obvious what the character was all about. It didn't work. So I just said that I simply wouldn't use the character any more in the lead strip. Lew began his Amy and Techno series any everyone was happy - except I would have like to have used the Amy character really as I was rather fond of her.

      Now you may say that I should have just done what I was told and written the character as Deborah wanted. I know Lew has said in an interview that he considers the editors his customer and they have a right to ask for what they want. I guess that's true but for me writing is something I do for a reader. I don't think too much about pleasing the editor. Obviously it's an issue but when I believe in what I'm writing I'm just thinking about telling the story that I want to tell. Sometimes and editor will help you tell the story and sometimes an editor will want you to tell their story.

      I did use Amy in my last ten issue run on Sonic and I used her exactly how I wanted to.

      But PC sexual politics was always an issue with Deb. She heavily rewrote my Decap Attack Bride Of Frankenstein story to make it conform and in the process she succeeded in making the story make no sense. But to be honest that particular Decap episode was pretty weak even in its original form...

      But having said that she did keep Decap running in the comic far longer than any other editor would have and I'll always be grateful for that.

      I know it must seem like I'm a awful idiot for not just doing what I was told but that's just not how I'm made. I mean I have done my fair share of hack work but with STC I really believed in what I was doing.

      Nigel
    • EdwdReynolds@aol.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004
        Hey Nigel. As always, it's interesting to hear your side of the
        story.

        Have you got any news on new projects like 'Krypt' and 'A.H.A.B.'?

        > It is sometimes said that my Stories didn't have humour in them -
        this just isn't true but it is something that people say for some
        reason.

        I don't think I've ever heard anyone say this (among readers at
        least). Then again, if you're working on a "funny animal" comic I
        suppose there's going to be a high expectation from publishers that
        the animal should be funny.

        > However, I have to confess that in the early stories she was taken
        prisoner a couple of times and this may not have been a good idea.
        But it was a very useful story device. But I don't think we ever had
        Amy being scared, sobbing or begging for mercy. She was brave as
        anybody else. I also made sure that she had the most lethal weapon.

        Please tell me you didn't come up with that "aim" pun...

        > As Deborah started to flex her editorial muscles I was told to
        change my approach to Amy. I can't remember exactly how it panned
        out but I do remember part of one conversation where I tried to
        explain to Deborah that Amy was not some sexual stereotype at all
        but Deb was having none of it. She insisted that because Amy was the
        only girl in the comic she alone represented the female species and
        she had to be seen to be a role model.

        Did you have this problem with characters like Ebony and Morain? (Or
        for that matter, Kupacius?)

        > Now you may say that I should have just done what I was told and
        written the character as Deborah wanted.

        Actually, what I have wondered is why you didn't bring in more
        regular female characters so Amy wouldn't have to shoulder the
        burden alone. I guess this would have been tough to do without
        damaging that very strong core dynamic you'd established with
        Sonic's gang, though, and Sega didn't do you any favours.

        Ed

        PS. So what does A.H.A.B. stand for?
      • Nigel Kitching
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 2, 2004
          Ed:

          "Hey Nigel. As always, it's interesting to hear your side of the
          story."

          My side of the story? What are you implying you little whipper-snapper? That there might be another side? That every word that I write might not be the absolute truth?

          "Have you got any news on new projects like 'Krypt' and 'A.H.A.B.'?"

          D'Israeli and I proposed a strip to 2000AD which was promptly rejected. I'm working on another idea with Rich which we'll send in for consideration as soon as I get chance to work on it. But this is the problem with comics. You spend ages creating characters and coming up with stories which you are never paid for. If you're successful then you write the series (in 2000AD's case the money is only okay). It's hard to do this when your agent is finding you work which is all chargeable time.

          > It is sometimes said that my Stories didn't have humour in them -
          this just isn't true but it is something that people say for some
          reason.

          "I don't think I've ever heard anyone say this (among readers at
          least). Then again, if you're working on a "funny animal" comic I
          suppose there's going to be a high expectation from publishers that
          the animal should be funny."

          I guess maybe I'm thinking of what Lew says - how he was brought in to add humour to the strip. I never got this because I thought my stuff had plenty humour in it. Now I think about it I have an idea. When I first got involved in Sonic one of my first battles was to get the editor to see Sonic as a heroic action hero and not just a funny animal. I remember conversations where I argued quite strongly that the readers see sonic as a serious character and not just a cute hedgehog who should appear in gag-driven strips. I was asked to give Dr Robotnik a series of eggy puns and I hated that idea and never did it - some were added by the editor though as I recall. I tried very hard to make Robotnik a menacing character so you can imagine how I felt when I picked up the comic one week and there he was throwing custard pies at a picture of Sonic. This led to a conversation with Richard Elson and a story that was designed to make Robotnik as menacing as possible - Rich reflected this in some nice scary images.

          > However, I have to confess that in
          the early stories she was taken
          prisoner a couple of times and this may not have been a good idea.
          But it was a very useful story device. But I don't think we ever had
          Amy being scared, sobbing or begging for mercy. She was brave as
          anybody else. I also made sure that she had the most lethal weapon.

          "Please tell me you didn't come up with that "aim" pun..."

          I only vaguely remember any aim pun. But I usually hate puns and I doubt I'd have ever done such a thing. I did have a character called The Punster in an episode of Decap who was there to demonstrate my feeling regarding puns.

          > As Deborah started to flex her
          editorial muscles I was told to
          change my approach to Amy. I can't remember exactly how it panned
          out but I do remember part of one conversation where I tried to
          explain to Deborah that Amy was not some sexual stereotype at all
          but Deb was having none of it. She insisted that because Amy was the
          only girl in the comic she alone represented the female species and
          she had to be seen to be a role model.

          "Did you have this problem with characters like Ebony and Morain? (Or
          for that matter, Kupacius?)"

          No, now that you mention it I don't think I did. But none of these characters had the apparent girly aspects of Amy I guess. Ebony was fun to write with Super Sonic and it was one of those times when a character's personality surprises the writer - I never consciously decided that she would be a reckless character who would happily endanger the world based on simply the fact that she was fond of Super Sonic. This just kind of happened in the writing - it's always fun when that happens.

          > Now you may
          say that I should have just done what I was told and
          written the character as Deborah wanted.

          "Actually, what I have wondered is why you didn't bring in more
          regular female characters so Amy wouldn't have to shoulder the
          burden alone. I guess this would have been tough to do without
          damaging that very strong core dynamic you'd established with
          Sonic's gang, though, and Sega didn't do you any favours."

          Well, there were lots of ideas for Sonic that I never found room for. Including more female characters to help make a political point wasn't high on the list. Actually it wasn't on the list at all.

          Good work with the online Sonic strip again guys. Now that I have broadband I'm going to download the lot and save it safely on a disk somewhere. I always planned to give it an Ed-style review to get a little bit of revenge for all the scrutiny my stories were exposed to but, since everyone does this for love alone, that would seem a little bit mean...

          Still Ed, one day I may take revenge...

          "PS. So what does A.H.A.B. stand for?"

          Who cares?

          Or:

          It doesn't stand for anything it just makes his name look cool.

          Or:

          And this is the more serious answer. I liked the idea that the name was significant to him alone and we never find out why. When we first meet him he is adamant that he isn't Captain Cornelius anymore he is A.H.A.B. - it's a big deal to him. I wish I'd had more room to go into the nature of his feeling toward his own existence as a life form but that wasn't the kind of strip I was after writing.

          Nigel
        • EdwdReynolds@aol.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 2, 2004
            > D'Israeli and I proposed a strip to 2000AD which was promptly
            rejected. I'm working on another idea with Rich which we'll send in
            for consideration as soon as I get chance to work on it. But this is
            the problem with comics. You spend ages creating characters and
            coming up with stories which you are never paid for. If you're
            successful then you write the series (in 2000AD's case the money is
            only okay). It's hard to do this when your agent is finding you work
            which is all chargeable time.

            I can imagine. Isn't the waiting list for 2000AD strips obscenely
            long in any event? Shame you don't have incriminating pictures of
            editors at Image or Marvel or somewhere.

            I guess there's been no joy trying to launch 'Magpie' into the
            world, either.

            > I guess maybe I'm thinking of what Lew says - how he was brought
            in to add humour to the strip. I never got this because I thought my
            stuff had plenty humour in it. Now I think about it I have an idea.
            When I first got involved in Sonic one of my first battles was to
            get the editor to see Sonic as a heroic action hero and not just a
            funny animal. I remember conversations where I argued quite strongly
            that the readers see sonic as a serious character and not just a
            cute hedgehog who should appear in gag-driven strips. I was asked to
            give Dr Robotnik a series of eggy puns and I hated that idea and
            never did it - some were added by the editor though as I recall. I
            tried very hard to make Robotnik a menacing character so you can
            imagine how I felt when I picked up the comic one week and there he
            was throwing custard pies at a picture of Sonic. This led to a
            conversation with Richard Elson and a story that was designed to
            make Robotnik as menacing as possible - Rich reflected this in some
            nice scary images.

            I think Lew nailed this straight away actually. The stories had lots
            of action, a fast pace, clearly sympathetic heroes and suchlike --
            they weren't comedy stories like, say, Mark Millar's. Although he
            said he was supposed to bring more humour in, I suspect he's talking
            about making the stories less gritty and continuity-heavy because
            none of those early scripts are played for laughs particularly --
            especially stuff like the Cybernik. It's just that his Sonic wasn't
            a prick, his Tails wasn't a loser and the villains not quite so
            bleak. I guess I can see why ane editor might want something that's
            less like a comic book serial and more like a superior Saturday
            morning action cartoon if that comparison makes sense.

            > No, now that you mention it I don't think I did. But none of these
            characters had the apparent girly aspects of Amy I guess. Ebony was
            fun to write with Super Sonic and it was one of those times when a
            character's personality surprises the writer - I never consciously
            decided that she would be a reckless character who would happily
            endanger the world based on simply the fact that she was fond of
            Super Sonic. This just kind of happened in the writing - it's always
            fun when that happens.

            I was actually surprised when you brought her back. I liked the
            character fine on first appearance but I never really expected to
            see her again. Glad you did, though.

            > Well, there were lots of ideas for Sonic that I never found room
            for. Including more female characters to help make a political point
            wasn't high on the list. Actually it wasn't on the list at all.

            I can imagine, but I didn't mean that you should make a political
            point on the editor's behalf. I just mean, if Amy wasn't the only
            girl that featured regularly, there might not have been the weight
            of expectation on her to be a positive role model and you might have
            had more leeway. But then again, that never really happened with
            Tekno so perhaps not.

            > Good work with the online Sonic strip again guys. Now that I have
            broadband I'm going to download the lot and save it safely on a disk
            somewhere. I always planned to give it an Ed-style review to get a
            little bit of revenge for all the scrutiny my stories were exposed
            to but, since everyone does this for love alone, that would seem a
            little bit mean...

            Cheers, Nigel. I think the comic is fair game. After all, just
            because you make a living off your work doesn't detract from the
            effort you've put in. Actually, the next few issues include a story
            that will pick up on that situation with Tails and the goblins you
            established so I'd be interested to hear what you make of that. But
            I pick apart my own stuff far more than I ever picked apart yours so
            you'll have to get up pretty early in the morning to catch me on the
            hop...

            > Still Ed, one day I may take revenge...

            Bring it on, punk!

            > Who cares?
            >
            > Or:
            >
            > It doesn't stand for anything it just makes his name look cool.

            I should now point out that I said this all along (on this very
            list, too). Naturally, nobody listened.

            > And this is the more serious answer. I liked the idea that the
            name was significant to him alone and we never find out why. When we
            first meet him he is adamant that he isn't Captain Cornelius anymore
            he is A.H.A.B. - it's a big deal to him. I wish I'd had more room to
            go into the nature of his feeling toward his own existence as a life
            form but that wasn't the kind of strip I was after writing.

            Save it for the digitally remastered special edition where the
            flashback images of Cornelius that vaguely resemble Jack Nicholson
            have been replaced by ones that quite look like Jim Carrey.

            Ed
          • Nigel Kitching
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 2, 2004
              Ed:

              "I can imagine. Isn't the waiting list for 2000AD strips obscenely
              long in any event?"

              It is. That's another non-incentive.

              "I guess there's been no joy trying to launch 'Magpie' into the
              world, either."

              I've only showed Magpie to a few people but it didn't go down all that well as far as I could tell.

              > No, now that you mention it I
              don't think I did. But none of these
              characters had the apparent girly aspects of Amy I guess. Ebony was
              fun to write with Super Sonic and it was one of those times when a
              character's personality surprises the writer - I never consciously
              decided that she would be a reckless character who would happily
              endanger the world based on simply the fact that she was fond of
              Super Sonic. This just kind of happened in the writing - it's always
              fun when that happens.

              "I was actually surprised when you brought her back. I liked the
              character fine on first appearance but I never really expected to
              see her again. Glad you did, though."

              Well, I wanted to have her attitude to Super Sonic and the risk he posed contrasted with Sonic's equally extreme point of view. That's the only reason she was there really.

              "I can imagine, but I didn't mean that you should make a political
              point on the editor's behalf. I just mean, if Amy wasn't the only
              girl that featured regularly, there might not have been the weight
              of expectation on her to be a positive role model and you might have
              had more leeway."

              But that's just a totally political reason for including certain types of characters. If I reacted to the PC pressure in this way I'm just acting as though I think the attitude is actually a valid one. Nope, my approach was just to not get into all that nonsense and do something else.

               But then again, that never really happened with
              Tekno so perhaps not.

              "Cheers, Nigel. I think the comic is fair game. After all, just
              because you make a living off your work doesn't detract from the
              effort you've put in. Actually, the next few issues include a story
              that will pick up on that situation with Tails and the goblins you
              established so I'd be interested to hear what you make of that."

              Ah yes. That is a story-line that I am actually quite protective of. This could be my chance...

              "I pick apart my own stuff far more than I ever picked apart yours so
              you'll have to get up pretty early in the morning to catch me on the
              hop..."

              Ah yes. Us writers think that don't we? But actually all we do is scrutinise aspects of our work that are well within our comfort zone. Wait until somebody takes you to task on an aspect that you don't expect. Usually you are exasperated with that person for just not 'getting it'.

              Nigel
            • EdwdReynolds@aol.com
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 3, 2004
                > Well, I wanted to have her attitude to Super Sonic and the risk he
                posed contrasted with Sonic's equally extreme point of view. That's
                the only reason she was there really.

                It's a shame we never had this thrashed out really, except briefly
                in the Chaos arc. When you were doing those Super solos, did you
                have a different first encounter in mind at all?

                > But that's just a totally political reason for including certain
                types of characters. If I reacted to the PC pressure in this way I'm
                just acting as though I think the attitude is actually a valid one.
                Nope, my approach was just to not get into all that nonsense and do
                something else.

                I see what you mean.

                > Ah yes. Us writers think that don't we? But actually all we do is
                scrutinise aspects of our work that are well within our comfort
                zone. Wait until somebody takes you to task on an aspect that you
                don't expect. Usually you are exasperated with that person for just
                not 'getting it'.

                Yes, I can well imagine. Very good point.

                Ed
              • Nigel Kitching
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 3, 2004
                  Ed:

                  "It's a shame we never had this thrashed out really, except briefly
                  in the Chaos arc. When you were doing those Super solos, did you
                  have a different first encounter in mind at all?"

                  Between Sonic and Super Sonic?

                  Yes, I did have some scene in mind I know I did. I just can't remember what it was now.

                  Nigel
                • Manic Man
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 4, 2004
                    I thought your way of doing Super Sonic was intresting to say the
                    lest. In Games (as much as you can tell) and from what i have read of
                    the Archie Sonic comics, Super Sonic is normaly done as just a more
                    powerful version of Sonic (Like with Most Fan fic too) where you have
                    the twist of him being evil and stuff.. some the powers were a bit
                    off (eye lasers?) but that can be done to a mix of the writer and the
                    Artist. I have just down a story for TSW ("The Sonic World", a series
                    based on different Sonic ideas from a range of 'Worlds' and our own
                    stuff) which introduced Super Sonic and i did him your style cause i
                    liked it. I gave more to him as a character.

                    Can't wait to see if i get the chance to use him in one of the TSW
                    Audio Adventures... ^_^ but that might be a long time comming.. Audio
                    Storys are a bit longer to do...

                    Shame STC could not use Lew Stringers 'Combat Colin' character.. Can
                    anyone Imagine a battle between Super Sonic and Combat Colin? hehe..
                  • Rebecca Gunn

                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 5, 2004
                        Actually, Archie should, if anything hev even lessinvolvement with Sega. Have you SEEN some of the terrible ideas they come up with?

                        SThy give Sonic PARENTS. They give him a middle name. They say his real name ISN'T Sonic, and they pair him up with SALLY!

                        The 25 Years later story is a joke. I'm really surprised half of what they do gets past Sega Licensing.

                        -Mark Teo

                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 5, 2004
                          >SEGA put so many restraints on the Archie series with rules like
                          Sonic not being allowed to show emotion, at least to a degree and
                          having to do adaptions for every game after importing a few issues I
                          can see how cramped the creative storyline was getting.

                          To tell the truth, i wish to know if this fact is REALLY true. There
                          was lot of rumours that said the same for the SatAM cartoon series.
                          It was said that Sega was in control and DIC got into a bit of
                          trouble over the episode 'Ultra Sonic' where Sonic is shown crying at
                          the end. This was a LIE, sega where not in control at all.

                          Am not too sure about Archie but am pretty sure i heard something
                          about they doing adaptions just for story more then they were made to.

                          I find game adaptions can be done well but are often Not (well, they
                          are changed soo much to tie in with the current story lines that they
                          are not really adaptions).
                        • Rebecca Gunn
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 6, 2004
                            >"It was said that Sega was in control and DIC got into a bit of
                            trouble over the episode 'Ultra Sonic' where Sonic is shown crying at
                            the end. This was a LIE, sega where not in control at all."

                            Yeah that idea has been around a long time. I've heard all other kinds of rumors about that event. Like rather than Sega, Disney stepped in.

                            However something has to be up at Archie, My issues are few and far between but from the sounds of Dan Drazen's reviews the stories have been running all over the place a long time. When they tried to do Sonic adventure spanned over something like a year of issues retelling the story in their way. The result wasnt exactly satisfying and quite a few characters stories didnt get finished.

                            Though the storyline that made me laugh the most at how unorginised the plot had become was when they all of a sudden announced that Tails wasnt Tails. He was some other thing from another place. They didnt do much with said plot and just brought tails back in a rather dull story.

                            It's what I always enjoyed more about StC, much more care was taken into story and continuity. The SA adaption was fantastic not only because it did get seen through to the end without fault but because the story was much more radical than Segas. Daring to go that extra mile with a story can really work if you know how your going to do things

                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 6, 2004

                              "It's what I always enjoyed more about StC, much more care was taken into story and continuity. The SA adaption was fantastic not only because it did get seen through to the end without fault but because the story was much more radical than Segas. Daring to go that extra mile with a story can really work if you know how your going to do things "

                              Thank you Rebecca. I'm pleased you liked that run. It was the only time I was ever given that much room to really plan a story.

                              Nigel
                            • Manic Man
                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 6, 2004
                                > Thank you Rebecca. I'm pleased you liked that run. It was the only
                                time I was ever given that much room to really plan a story.

                                I did find a couple of things i did not quite like with the story to
                                tell the truth BUT if STC had continued or you were given a couple of
                                more issues, it might have made more sense. Art wise, i did not like
                                the fact that pretty much all the characters changed into there SA
                                forms and there is a bit of a story about Sonic's Eyes goign green.
                                But no-one ever though, "Hang on.. Knuckles, Amy, Tails etc (but he
                                had colour in some storys) have eye colour too!". but that is NOT
                                really your fault.. It was a great story. Did you have anything in
                                mind to tie up the Knuckles side of how come he is in the past and
                                the future?
                              • EdwdReynolds@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 17 , Nov 6, 2004
                                  > Yes, I did have some scene in mind I know I did. I just can't
                                  remember what it was now.

                                  Ah, that's a shame. Oh well.

                                  I thought it was a tad disappointing you didn't change the status
                                  quo at all with Super in the last solo story you did with him, but I
                                  guess it would have been difficult to do anything too major with him
                                  at that time?

                                  Ed