Shanazar Proposal

  • Nigel Kitching
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 23, 2004
      Happened to come across this. If I have posted it before forgive me.

      I think it gives some impression of the difficulties I was having at this
      time. I'd obviously been told to do no more continued stories and this is my
      attempt to get around that stupid restriction. I knew if I pushed it too
      hard then it would get Deb's back up and get nowhere.

      It annoys me looking back on this actually. Surely someone somewhere
      realised that I as one of the writers deserved some credit for the success
      of this comic? Maybe I actually knew what I was doing...

      SONIC THE COMIC #150

      SONIC THE HEDGEHOG

      SYNOPSIS

      ROBOTNIK NO MORE!

      By Nigel Kitching 26/11/98

      This is the first in a series of one-off stories running from issue 150 to
      154. Each part will be separately titled and attempt to have a closed series
      of events. The end, however, will strongly encourage the reader to pick up
      the next issue. I will try to avoid overly using actual 'cliff-hangers' but
      there will be a strong link to the next issue - a technique soap operas have
      used very successfully for many years. Each episode will begin in such a way
      that the reader will not feel he has missed something important in the
      previous issue - in other words each story will be an easy 'jumping on'
      point. I've thought very carefully about this. I think I have come up with a
      solution that satisfies the various requirements I have been made aware of,
      and which still allows me enough leeway to write a strong and involving
      story that will keep the reader coming back for more. I think we have
      recently had too many self contained one-offs that don't really hook the
      readers into the series as well as they should. Individually they have been
      good stories but we need a feeling of continuity to help keep a regular
      readership involved. It goes without saying that the strip must always be
      kept accessible to new readers - this is down to the skill of the writing.

      Issue #150:

      A slightly difficult start as far as structuring is concerned because there
      are certain issues that just have to be addressed. We will begin with
      probably three pages explaining to the reader how Doctor Robotnik arrived in
      the subatomic universe and how he came to change from Robotnik to his
      to avoid three pages of talking heads. We learn that Robotnik shrunk down to
      subatomic size after his last encounter with Sonic and, as he did so, he
      changed (for some mysterious reason) back into Kintobor. Kintobor is the
      person who first gave Sonic his powers and the two of them were good friends
      before he accidentally changed into the evil Robotnik.

      We will also learn that his Robotnik personality is showing signs of
      returning and Kintobor has been working on a formula to prevent this from
      happening.

      Next Kintobor is summoned by the Princess (yet to be named - something
      Arabian Nights-ish). She is a massive Diana Dors kind of a character. It is
      obvious that she has a crush on Kintobor; she calls him things like 'poopsie
      '.

      Upon entering, Sonic is attacked by the guards who think he has escaped from
      the cells where he was imprisoned last issue. This scene is here to add the
      important ingredient of action to the story.

      The Princess gives Kintobor a mission: he has to go to Genie Mountain,
      taking with him a group of children. This is obviously very important but we
      will not find out why until next issue.

      For everyone's information the children are being taken to Genie Mountain (I
      might not call it that, it sounds a little like a ride at Disneyland) so
      they can each become carriers of a Genie spirit. The Genie lives in the body
      of its host and can be called on whenever needed. This ability to call on
      the aid of a Genie is the basis of the power of the kingdom of Shanazar. The
      recipient of the Genie spirit becomes a very important figure but the
      downside is that, because of the symbiotic relationship, the carrier ages
      very quickly and dies a premature death. Once the Genie spirit has carried
      out this phase in its existence, it becomes a free agent, now with a
      physical presence. It's this need for a host body that makes the Genie race
      agree to become temporary slaves.

      One of the main points of the story is when Sonic figures out an alternative
      way of addressing this problem - he could never go along with allowing
      children to sacrifice themselves in this way.

      THE LOOK OF ROBOTNIK

      In the new game Doctor Robotnik has a new look. Since (as I'm sure everyone
      realises) Kintobor is soon about to turn back into his evil self, this would
      be an ideal time for us to switch to the new look. We have a ready made
      reason here why Robotnik should look different and I think we should take
      advantage of it. Robotnik is otherwise going to change his look later on for
      no apparent reason. In this story we can explain that, when he changed back
      from being Kintobor, something happened. Perhaps we could say that the
      potions he was using to try to submerge his evil personality have affected
      his Robotnik appearance.
    • Doctor Zachary
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 23, 2004
        --- In sonicthecomic@yahoogroups.com, "Nigel Kitching" <nigel@n...>
        wrote:

        > THE LOOK OF ROBOTNIK
        >
        > In the new game Doctor Robotnik has a new look. Since (as I'm sure
        everyone
        > realises) Kintobor is soon about to turn back into his evil self,
        this would
        > be an ideal time for us to switch to the new look. We have a ready
        made
        > reason here why Robotnik should look different and I think we
        should take
        > advantage of it. Robotnik is otherwise going to change his look
        later on for
        > no apparent reason. In this story we can explain that, when he
        changed back
        > from being Kintobor, something happened. Perhaps we could say that
        the
        > potions he was using to try to submerge his evil personality have
        affected
        > his Robotnik appearance.

        I find this section fascinating... mainly because it didn't happen
        that way (although back then I had felt that he should transform
        into the original Robotnik form rather than the 1994 edition)... I'm
        also curious as to how you knew Robotnik had a new look, as in
        November 1998 I certainly didn't. ;-)

        When I first read these stories five years ago I was unhappy with
        them solely because you'd taken Sonic out of his mode, and wasn't
        looking forward to another Meridian-type storyline. At least I
        suppose there was the excuse of it being an atom of the Floating
        Island, unlike the Negative Zone which was a parallel universe or
        something like that. If I remember correctly you suggested you might
        bring Knuckles in which got me excited at the time (though that
        never panned out).

        It's too bad you never got to finish this story because from your
        descriptions of where you were going with it, it would have had
        great importance to the STC mythos. Plus it sounded like a story I'd
        like to have read. At least you got to play with some elements of it
        in your swan-song run...

        z.
      • EdwdReynolds@aol.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 23, 2004
          Hey Nigel.

          > Happened to come across this. If I have posted it before forgive
          me.

          New to me. Thanks for posting it.

          > This is the first in a series of one-off stories running from
          issue 150 to
          > 154.

          Hmm. Now, your series here ended in #153... had you planned to do an
          extra issue in the Mystic Mountain arc?

          > Upon entering, Sonic is attacked by the guards who think he has
          escaped from
          > the cells where he was imprisoned last issue. This scene is here
          to add the
          > important ingredient of action to the story.

          Actually, this kind of thing always bothered me. The action here is
          pretty superfluous, and indeed is looking backwards towards an issue
          the readers might not have picked up. Nothing much is added to the
          story by it. You did this again in the subsequent issue with a
          scorpion fight early in the story, although that established that
          the desert guards were professionals (and yet still terrified of the
          mountain). I realise that if you weren't so compelled to wrap things
          up in seven pages with an action scene in too then you probably
          would have been able to get away from making it kind of artificial
          like this.

          > In the new game Doctor Robotnik has a new look. Since (as I'm sure
          everyone
          > realises) Kintobor is soon about to turn back into his evil self,
          this would
          > be an ideal time for us to switch to the new look. We have a ready
          made
          > reason here why Robotnik should look different and I think we
          should take
          > advantage of it. Robotnik is otherwise going to change his look
          later on for
          > no apparent reason. In this story we can explain that, when he
          changed back
          > from being Kintobor, something happened. Perhaps we could say that
          the
          > potions he was using to try to submerge his evil personality have
          affected
          > his Robotnik appearance.

          This would have been great, although the potions explanation
          wouldn't even have been necessary (unless you were going somewhere
          with it). Some of the questions raised by this story, like why
          Robotnik turned back into Kintobor, kind of bugged because it was
          such a major thing and there was no real explanation offered. But
          stuff with why Robotnik looks different would probably have been
          okay because people would recognise the ties to the videogames.
          Well, if STC ever did any cross-promotion with them by this stage.

          It always struck me as a bit of a pity that you wrote Kintobor out
          of it so quickly. It made an interesting conflict in the Mystic
          Mountain, but Kintobor is a fun sort of character (I think the
          notion of the Kintobor computer was really inspired). I also loved
          that story you started a while before (although nothing came of it)
          where Grimer hacked into the Kintobor computer.

          Ed
        • EdwdReynolds@aol.com
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 23, 2004
            Zac... or is supposed to be Z now?

            > I find this section fascinating... mainly because it didn't happen
            > that way (although back then I had felt that he should transform
            > into the original Robotnik form rather than the 1994 edition)...
            I'm
            > also curious as to how you knew Robotnik had a new look, as in
            > November 1998 I certainly didn't. ;-)

            You know, I was wondering about that chronology too. I thought Sega
            announced the Dreamcast and Sonic Adventure only a few months before
            its release. I figured I was going mad...

            Not that there's anything wrong with going mad...

            > When I first read these stories five years ago I was unhappy with
            > them solely because you'd taken Sonic out of his mode, and wasn't
            > looking forward to another Meridian-type storyline. At least I
            > suppose there was the excuse of it being an atom of the Floating
            > Island, unlike the Negative Zone which was a parallel universe or
            > something like that. If I remember correctly you suggested you
            might
            > bring Knuckles in which got me excited at the time (though that
            > never panned out).

            Negative Zone?

            Knuckles would have spiced things up, I agree. After #100, he was
            horribly underused, and we very seldom saw Sonic and Knuckles teamed
            up. Their dynamic was always fun.

            What irked me about this arc initially was that nothing much seemed
            to really happen. We'd get plot twists like Kintobor being back but
            if anything they harmed the plot because it stopped the action
            (which I realise now was the intent, to get it through in the first
            place). It was only by #152 that I started to think that it might be
            really interesting, and #153 was just awesome.

            Ed
          • EdwdReynolds@aol.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 23, 2004
              > You know, I was wondering about that chronology too. I thought
              Sega
              > announced the Dreamcast and Sonic Adventure only a few months
              before
              > its release. I figured I was going mad...

              Seems like I am, too. Just did a search and there are plenty of
              articles about it around this time.

              Ed
            • Doctor Zachary
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 23, 2004
                Ed:
                > Zac... or is supposed to be Z now?

                Call me whatever you like

                > Negative Zone?

                Oops, been reading too much Fantastic Four (though with talents like Waid,
                Bendis and Wieringo on it I find it hard not to!). Meant Special Zone (which
                I think in many ways borrowed heavily from FF mythology...?)

                > Knuckles would have spiced things up, I agree. After #100, he was
                > horribly underused, and we very seldom saw Sonic and Knuckles teamed
                > up. Their dynamic was always fun.

                I just wanted some more Kitching/Dobbyn stories. Preferably ones that didn't
                have Spice Maidens in them. ;-)

                > What irked me about this arc initially was that nothing much seemed
                > to really happen. We'd get plot twists like Kintobor being back but
                > if anything they harmed the plot because it stopped the action
                > (which I realise now was the intent, to get it through in the first
                > place). It was only by #152 that I started to think that it might be
                > really interesting, and #153 was just awesome.

                I think it's important to keep a balance between action and tension.
                Particularly when new readers are involved.

                z.
              • Nicholas Rollins
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 23, 2004
                  Zac wrote:

                  > I find this section fascinating... mainly because it didn't happen
                  > that way (although back then I had felt that he should transform
                  > into the original Robotnik form rather than the 1994 edition)... I'm
                  > also curious as to how you knew Robotnik had a new look, as in
                  > November 1998 I certainly didn't. ;-)

                  A picture of the new Robotnik design was printed in issue 36 of Sega Saturn
                  magazine, dated October 1998 (which turned out to be the penultimate
                  issue), as well as the rest of the information on Sonic Adventure.

                  > When I first read these stories five years ago I was unhappy with
                  > them solely because you'd taken Sonic out of his mode, and wasn't
                  > looking forward to another Meridian-type storyline.

                  I remember not liking the ones when Sonic was stuck in the Special Zone or
                  Shanazar too - they were an interesting variation at first, and did provide
                  some good stories, but I felt that they went on for too long. I suppose it
                  was because at the time I always preferred Sonic fighting alongside Tails
                  rather than the STC-created characters.

                  --
                  Nicholas Rollins
                  http://www.rollinsd.freeserve.co.uk
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 23, 2004
                    Ed:

                    > Hmm. Now, your series here ended in #153... had you planned to do an
                    > extra issue in the Mystic Mountain arc?

                    Deborah probably told me that I had to cut this run of stories short. There
                    seemed to come a time where no matter how big a story was planned to be I
                    was
                    always told to make it shorter. You can't imagine how frustrating it is to
                    have ideas and the person you are working for to not really give a damn. Now
                    working for Matt at 2000AD is quite different. He just got back to me today
                    approving my script for part 8.

                    > Actually, this kind of thing always bothered me. The action here is
                    > pretty superfluous, and indeed is looking backwards towards an issue
                    > the readers might not have picked up. Nothing much is added to the
                    > story by it. You did this again in the subsequent issue with a
                    > scorpion fight early in the story, although that established that
                    > the desert guards were professionals (and yet still terrified of the
                    > mountain). I realise that if you weren't so compelled to wrap things
                    > up in seven pages with an action scene in too then you probably
                    > would have been able to get away from making it kind of artificial
                    > like this.

                    I don't remember details but in a seven page story that's trying to pretend
                    to be a complete story (when it is in fact part of a bigger plot) you need
                    to have the impression of something being started and finished in the same
                    episode. I'll bet that's how the fights ended up seeming a bit throw-away.

                    > It always struck me as a bit of a pity that you wrote Kintobor out
                    > of it so quickly. It made an interesting conflict in the Mystic
                    > Mountain, but Kintobor is a fun sort of character (I think the
                    > notion of the Kintobor computer was really inspired). I also loved
                    > that story you started a while before (although nothing came of it)
                    > where Grimer hacked into the Kintobor computer.

                    I was disappointed not to be able to pursue that one too. But this kind of
                    story would have had to have been built up carefully over several issues.
                    Those days were over by then.

                    But when suddenly Andy gave me a 10 issue run I was in heaven of course. I'd
                    never had that much space to plan before. In the past when I'd ended up
                    writing a big story there was always some subterfuge on my part at work. Yet
                    it was the big stories that were the most popular. The reason that one
                    parters were so popular with the editor is that they were easier to deal
                    with. You can run one part stories in any order without any planning.

                    Nigel
                  • Nigel Kitching
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 23, 2004
                      Tom:

                      I'm
                      > also curious as to how you knew Robotnik had a new look, as in
                      > November 1998 I certainly didn't. ;-)

                      I don't know how I knew.

                      > It's too bad you never got to finish this story because from your
                      > descriptions of where you were going with it, it would have had
                      > great importance to the STC mythos. Plus it sounded like a story I'd
                      > like to have read. At least you got to play with some elements of it
                      > in your swan-song run...

                      Deb very seemed to understand (and god knows I tried to tell her) that
                      Shanazar was one city. I didn't intend the Arabian Knights thing to go
                      beyond the city boundaries.

                      Nigel
                    • Doctor Zachary
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 23, 2004
                        > Deborah probably told me that I had to cut this run of stories short.
                        There
                        > seemed to come a time where no matter how big a story was planned to be I
                        > was
                        > always told to make it shorter. You can't imagine how frustrating it is to
                        > have ideas and the person you are working for to not really give a damn.
                        Now
                        > working for Matt at 2000AD is quite different. He just got back to me
                        today
                        > approving my script for part 8.

                        How are things with 2000AD? Anything lined up after AHAB? (I know it's a bit
                        early at this stage...)

                        > But when suddenly Andy gave me a 10 issue run I was in heaven of course.
                        I'd
                        > never had that much space to plan before. In the past when I'd ended up
                        > writing a big story there was always some subterfuge on my part at work.
                        Yet
                        > it was the big stories that were the most popular. The reason that one
                        > parters were so popular with the editor is that they were easier to deal
                        > with. You can run one part stories in any order without any planning.

                        I think the self-contained stories are pretty important too, though. They
                        help the longer stories seem all the more "epic". They mean you generally
                        get something new with every issue. And they provide some sort of entry
                        point for new readers.

                        But that doesn't negate the importance of continuity...

                        z.
                      • The Dark Rose.
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 24, 2004

                          Not that this really has anything to do with what you guys are muttering about, but I had to ask, as I've always wanted to know.

                          The Negative Zone. Who knows what exactly it was? Parallel World? Lost Zone? Some silly place traped inside a big time bubble? What the hell was it?

                          And didn't Tails once travel to it in a STC story? And wasn't it inhabited by monsters? Somebody please tell me something. If someone has the comic with the Neg Zone in, please re-read it and give me the low down. Okay, that's all I really wanted to know.

                          > When I first read these stories five years ago I was unhappy with them solely because you'd taken Sonic out of his mode, and wasn't looking forward to another Meridian-type storyline. At least I suppose there was the excuse of it being an atom of the Floating Island, unlike the Negative Zone which was a parallel universe or something like that.

                        • Thalia Evans
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 24, 2004

                            > > I find this section fascinating... mainly because it didn't happen
                            > > that way (although back then I had felt that he should transform
                            > > into the original Robotnik form rather than the 1994 edition)... I'm
                            > > also curious as to how you knew Robotnik had a new look, as in
                            > > November 1998 I certainly didn't. ;-)
                            >
                            >A picture of the new Robotnik design was printed in issue 36 of Sega Saturn
                            >magazine, dated October 1998 (which turned out to be the penultimate
                            >issue), as well as the rest of the information on Sonic Adventure.
                            >
                            > > When I first read these stories five years ago I was unhappy with
                            > > them solely because you'd taken Sonic out of his mode, and wasn't
                            > > looking forward to another Meridian-type storyline.
                            >
                            >I remember not liking the ones when Sonic was stuck in the Special Zone or
                            >Shanazar too - they were an interesting variation at first, and did provide
                            >some good stories, but I felt that they went on for too long. I suppose it
                            >was because at the time I always preferred Sonic fighting alongside Tails
                            >rather than the STC-created characters.

                            I wasn't keen on Shanazar, but I did like the Special Zone arc myself.
                            Interesting to see how everyone else on Mobius was coping without Sonic,
                            and.....*sigh* Okay, okay, I admit it, I liked the Special Zone stuff mostly
                            because of the Super Sonic connection.... heh heh heh...
                            --Thalia

                            http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger
                          • Doctor Zachary
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 24, 2004
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 24, 2004
                                Tom:

                                > It was actually a separate plane of existence in a number of old Fantastic
                                > Four stories. Provided some of the inspiration behind the STC
                                interpretation
                                > of the Special Zone, I think, which led to my confusion...

                                It didn't.

                              • EdwdReynolds@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jan 24, 2004
                                  > Oops, been reading too much Fantastic Four (though with talents
                                  like Waid,
                                  > Bendis and Wieringo on it I find it hard not to!). Meant Special
                                  Zone (which
                                  > I think in many ways borrowed heavily from FF mythology...?)

                                  Having just this very day been introduced to the Fantastic Four via
                                  Waid, I agree... wow. Most of the comics I've tried don't really
                                  replicate the good old fashioned enjoyment I had reading STC. Maybe
                                  I just wasn't as invested in the characters, or it was just plain
                                  less accessible. But the FF (who I had precious little knowledge of
                                  before) are so funny and vibrant and ingenious and cool while still
                                  being dramatic. I think it's the most enjoyable comic series I've
                                  read since STC.

                                  > I just wanted some more Kitching/Dobbyn stories. Preferably ones
                                  that didn't
                                  > have Spice Maidens in them. ;-)

                                  Yeah, for ages all the Kitching/Dobbyn stories bar a couple were non-
                                  Knuckles -- Plunder, Chaotix, Tails. "Takeover" was worth the wait
                                  though.

                                  > I think it's important to keep a balance between action and
                                  tension.
                                  > Particularly when new readers are involved.

                                  Yeah, but the action needs to push the story forward. Which Nigel's
                                  stuff generally did, in fairness. His stories quite seldom had
                                  redundant action, or felt like it did anyway.

                                  Ed
                                • EdwdReynolds@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jan 24, 2004
                                    > Deborah probably told me that I had to cut this run of stories
                                    short. There
                                    > seemed to come a time where no matter how big a story was planned
                                    to be I
                                    > was
                                    > always told to make it shorter. You can't imagine how frustrating
                                    it is to
                                    > have ideas and the person you are working for to not really give a
                                    damn. Now
                                    > working for Matt at 2000AD is quite different. He just got back to
                                    me today
                                    > approving my script for part 8.

                                    Good news. Have you got anything else lined up with him after part 9
                                    is done and dusted?

                                    > But when suddenly Andy gave me a 10 issue run I was in heaven of
                                    course. I'd
                                    > never had that much space to plan before. In the past when I'd
                                    ended up
                                    > writing a big story there was always some subterfuge on my part at
                                    work. Yet
                                    > it was the big stories that were the most popular. The reason that
                                    one
                                    > parters were so popular with the editor is that they were easier
                                    to deal
                                    > with. You can run one part stories in any order without any
                                    planning.

                                    This always seems strange to me. I mean, you'd think the easiest
                                    thing for an editor to do would be to tell the writer to get on with
                                    it and basically do nothing. But Deborah clearly spent an enormous
                                    amount of effort trying to influence the direction you and Lew took
                                    with your stories, rewriting the dialogue etc.

                                    Ed
                                  • EdwdReynolds@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jan 24, 2004
                                      > I wasn't keen on Shanazar, but I did like the Special Zone arc
                                      myself.
                                      > Interesting to see how everyone else on Mobius was coping without
                                      Sonic,
                                      > and.....*sigh* Okay, okay, I admit it, I liked the Special Zone
                                      stuff mostly
                                      > because of the Super Sonic connection.... heh heh heh...

                                      Yeah, I actually think the SZ stuff was more interesting because of
                                      what was happening in Lew's work at the time. Lew was on fire at
                                      that point. With Bob Corona and Andy Pritchett doing the art semi-
                                      regularly, and with more or less control over the Mobius-strand, he
                                      really seemed to find his feet.

                                      I know a lot of people knock Lew because he was responsible for so
                                      many comedy one-shots, but he really did some stand-out work for the
                                      comic. That run from "Revolution" (Brutus finale, drawn by our own
                                      Nigel K), the one with the clone Sonic (drawn by our own Bob C), and
                                      then the arc with the Cybernik leading up to that wonderful "Boiling
                                      Point" scene where Shortfuse and Amy their big parting argument...
                                      it was all great.

                                      By contrast, I felt Nigel was actually losing his way a bit in the
                                      Special Zone. "Running Wild" was fun and "Heroes and Villains" was a
                                      laugh but nothing much seemed to happen from Super getting frozen in
                                      Omni to Super getting unfrozen in Omni... the plot actually needed
                                      to move backwards to move forwards, and since it took about ten
                                      issues to do so that felt like it hurt it. I guess it didn't help
                                      that Lew got a bunch of stories in the middle here. Nigel, did you
                                      ever have any specific plans for an actual story arc in the Special
                                      Zone? Do you know when you came up with the idea to make #100 the
                                      return to Mobius? Though I realise you probably won't remember the
                                      chronology by now....

                                      Ed
                                    • The Dark Rose.
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jun 10, 2004
                                        Where's STC Online? I tried looking for it and found that its mysteriously dissapeared.

                                      • Nox Talon
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jun 10, 2004
                                          Here...http://www.drx.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/sonic/stc/230/cz.htm

                                          "The Dark Rose." <jarec_undead@...> wrote:
                                          Where's STC Online? I tried looking for it and found that its mysteriously dissapeared.

                                        • duohdofu
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Jun 16, 2004
                                            --- In sonicthecomic@yahoogroups.com, Nox Talon <noxtalon2003@y...>
                                            wrote:
                                            > Here...http://www.drx.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/sonic/stc/230/cz.htm
                                            >
                                            > "The Dark Rose." <jarec_undead@Y...> wrote:Where's STC Online? I
                                            tried looking for it and found that its mysteriously dissapeared.

                                            > ALL-NEW Yahoo! Messenger - sooooo many all-new ways to express
                                            yourself

                                            The link worked for me, maybe it was a fluke?