STC #28

  • Nigel Kitching
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 22, 2002

      I remember the pleasure I got from selling Fleetway the same page of script twice. Richard did even better as he also got paid again for the repeated page of artwork

      When Fleetway came to reprint this story they got very concerned that a page seemed to be missing from their film set - Richard Elson had some difficulty making them understand that the same page appeared twice in the story.

      The repeated scene observed from different points in time idea came from an early Red Dwarf episode called Future Echoes.

      I also remember more than one phone call form Richard Elson insisting that my little time conundrum just didn't work. To this day he's still not sure this story really works as far as the time travel aspect is concerned.

      Richard Burton gave me a little talking to about how this story was as complicated as I should ever get with Sonic. I couldn't help feeling that he really meant that he was having difficulty following the plot himself. I think the reason Richard let me do this story in the first place was that it was a little like the first Terminator movie (the way I pitched it it probably sounded quite similar) Richard seemed to like stories with ideas taken from movies.

      There may have been some form of written proposal for this - if I find one I'll post it here.

      SONIC THE HEDGEHOG.

      BATTLE FOR THE MIRACLE PLANET.

      7 Page strip by Nigel Kitching.

      This is it, the final episode of the five part run.

      1. Similar picture to the final scene from last issue as Metallico towers menacingly over the two mini-Sonics. Make sure Amy is clearly visible in the background, she looks helpless. One of the identical Sonics is holding the Time Stone. As a general comment I'd just like to remind you to include Amy in the background occasionally - not when Sonic travels into the past, of course.

      Caption:      ON THE MIRACLE PLANET SONIC FACES ROBOTNIK'S  DEADLY ROBOT METALLICO.

      Caption:      SHRUNK TO A FRACTION OF HIS NORMAL SIZE AND WITH ONLY HIS FUTURE SELF FOR HELP, HE NOW FACES THE ULTIMATE CHALLENGE...

      2. Better keep the Sonic that we are following well in the foreground so he is the focal point since he and his future self now look identical. In the background the future Sonic shouts to the other. We might be able to see the leg of Metallico. The Sonic in the foreground is holding the Time Stone.

      Future Sonic:      RUN, JUST RUN!! THE TIME STONE WILL TAKE YOU INTO THE PAST!

      3. In the foreground the Sonic with the Time Stone is running straight towards us but looking back. In the background we can see the future Sonic dodging a laser blast from Metallico.

      Sonic:      BUT WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO?!

      Future Sonic:      YOU'LL FIGURE IT OUT! I DID!!

      PAGE 2.

      1. Sonic is running fast, holding the Time Stone up to look at it. Sonic will stay at this miniature size until further notice, by the way. The others are not in view.

      Sonic:      JUST RUN HE SAYS... I DON'T SEE ANYTHING HAPPENING...

      2. The Time Stone begins to leave a trail of sparks - a sort of Tinkerbell effect.

      Sonic:      HEY! THIS MUST BE IT!

      3. Dramatic picture as Sonic time travels - check out the video and use that effect if you think it works okay.

      Sonic:      YAY!! I'VE DONE IT!! I'M TRAVELLING BACK IN TIME, WAY TO GO!!

      Sonic

      (Small lettering):      ALSO I THINK I MAY BE ABOUT TO THROW UP...

      4. Sonic re-appears, still running, on the Miracle Planet of the past. The Time Stone has disappeared. The scenery is really beautiful - trees and flowers and all that stuff. Sonic looks at his empty hands.

      Sonic:      YUP, THIS IS THE MIRACLE PLANET I REMEMBER, BEFORE ROBOTNIK'S MACHINE CAME ON THE SCENE!

      Sonic:      HEY! WHAT HAPPENED TO THE TIME STONE?

      5. In the distance, behind some trees, there is a single plume of smoke rising. Sonic is already running towards it.

      Sonic:      THERE'S NO WAY OF KNOWING WHAT I SHOULD DO NEXT, BUT THAT SMOKE SEEMS A PRETTY GOOD BET.

      PAGE 3.

      1. Large picture of Sonic speeding up to a machine which is about as large as a house (in relation to Sonic's current size). It is this machine that has grown to cover the entire planet in the future so do something visual to suggest that it is growing - have new smaller machines near it attached by pipes. Think in terms of a plant with shoots growing off. The machine is the source of the smoke.

      Sonic:      THIS HAS JUST GOT TO BE WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR!!

      2. Sonic observes part of the machine, it is one of the offshoots and a new part of it is just erupting from the ground.

      Sonic:      RADICAL... THIS PLACE LOOKS LIKE IT'S ALIVE OR SOMETHING...

      Sonic:      HEY THAT'S RIGHT!! IN THE FUTURE IT MUST HAVE GROWN TO COVER THE ENTIRE PLANET!

      3. Sonic leaps into the machine through a gap he couldn't have used at his normal size.

      Sonic:      AND I HAD TO BE SHRUNK IN SIZE SO I COULD GET INSIDE THIS THING.

      Sonic:      YEP, THINGS ARE REALLY STARTING TO COME TOGETHER NOW!

      4. Sonic, now inside the machine, stands at a place where he could choose a number of ways to proceed - there is a white light coming from one of the tunnels. Make the inside of the machine look like a sort of cross between metal machinery and the inside of a body.

      Sonic:      BROTHER THIS PLACE IS JUST TOO WEIRD!

      Sonic:      SOME KIND OF LIGHT COMING FROM THIS DIRECTION...

      5. Sonic is now standing in some kind of room facing the Time Stone. The stone is suspended mid way in a vertical beam of light.

      Sonic:      THE TIME STONE!

      PAGE 4.

      1. Sonic removes the Time Stone from the beam of light.

      Sonic:      OKAY... LET'S JUST SEE HOW WELL THIS PLACE GETS ALONG WITHOUT THIS BABY!

      2. Sonic leaps from the building-sized machine. Already the place is falling apart, show smoke and a number of small explosions as well as having falling debris.

      Sonic:      JUST LOOK AT THAT... GUESS I DID SOMETHING RIGHT. IF PORKER LEWIS WERE HERE HE MIGHT TELL ME WHAT IT WAS...

      Sonic:      THIS SCIENCE STUFF IS WAY TOO BORING FOR THIS HEDGEHOG!

      3. Sonic is now holding the Time Stone and time travelling again.

      Sonic:      THERE'S NO GUARANTEE THAT THIS TIME STONE IS GONNA GET ME BACK TO MY OWN TIME ZONE!

      Sonic:      STILL, RIGHT NOW I CAN'T THINK OF ANYTHING ELSE TO DO...

      4. Sonic re-appears, still running, on the metal covered version of the Miracle Planet - everything is just as it was.

      Sonic:      WELL, I'M BACK ALL RIGHT. NOW WHAT?

      Sonic:      HEY, WHAT'S THAT?

      5. Sonic has come up behind Metallico, he is not seen. This is the final panel from page 5 of last issue seen from a different angle. Metallico stands over a full sized Sonic about to blast him. Get Amy in this panel if at all possible.

      Sonic:      WHAT DO YOU KNOW! I'M BACK JUST BEFORE I MET MY FUTURE SELF...

      Sonic:      NOW, LET'S SEE... WHAT HAPPENED NEXT?... OH YEAH!

      PAGE 5.

      This page is an exact re-print of page 6 from last issue. To avoid any confusion, and to prove it works I'll include it again here.

      1. Suddenly Metallico is struck very hard by a small blue object. Although it is not clear in this panel, this is the Sonic from the future. The future Sonic has been shrunk down in size but I'll leave you to decide just how small he should be - check the video and see how small he needs to be to make the rest of the story work.

      SFX:  P-TOWW!!

      Metallico:      ZZZZKKK!!

      2. Metallico is now flailing about, the impact has caused him some damage. Sonic, now standing, doesn't know what happened.

      Metallico:      ERROR: SYSTEM FAILURE. CLOSING DOWN SYSTEMS AND INITIATING RE-BOOT... ZZZKKK...

      Sonic:      WHAT ON MOBIUS WAS THAT?!

      3. The future Sonic jumps up into Sonic's field of vision. As I say I'm not sure what size would be best for the future Sonic - maybe about a third of his original size? Anyway , Sonic is astonished at seeing this miniature version of himself. Another thought on the miniaturised Sonic; it might be a good idea to change his proportions a little so that he always looks miniaturised even when there is nothing in the panel for scale, so make his head disproportionately large. This proportion would support the look of him in the game also. This future Sonic is holding a Time Stone (I can't refer you to the video for a reference of this since I've never managed to get one in the game - and believe me I've tried). Better make the Time Stone at least the size of a tennis ball.

      Mini-Sonic:      THAT, GOOD BUDDY, WAS ME! OR RATHER YOU IN THE FUTURE!

      Sonic:      HUH?

      4. The future Sonic directs Sonic to a beam. This is the beam that shrinks him and you will be able to find it in the video.

      Mini-Sonic:      QUICKLY JUMP INTO THIS BEAM! NO TIME TO EXPLAIN, PAL!

      Sonic:      WAIT A MINUTE... YOU'RE SAYING THAT IN THE FUTURE I TURN INTO A MIDGET?

      5. Mini-Sonic loses his patience and pushes Sonic into the path of the beam.

      Mini-Sonic:      GET IN THE BEAM!!

      Sonic:      YAAA!!

      Mini-Sonic:      LET'S SEE... WHAT DID I SAY WHEN THIS HAPPENED TO ME?....

      6. Mini-Sonic stands next to Sonic as we see a multiple image of him shrinking down in the beam.

      Mini-Sonic:      OH YES..."WELL, THIS HAD BETTER NOT BE A TRICK"!

      Sonic:      WELL, THIS HAD BETTER NOT BE A TRICK!!

      PAGE 6.

      1. The present Sonic hands the equally small past Sonic the Time Stone. Different angle on this scene from last issue.

      Present Sonic:      THIS IS A TIME STONE! TAKE IT, YOU'VE GOT TO TRAVEL INTO THE PAST AND STOP ALL THIS EVER HAPPENING!

      Past Sonic:      BEFORE METALLICO RECOVERS, RIGHT?

      2. Different angle on the scene where Metallico has re-booted himself.

      Present  Sonic:      ACTUALLY I WASN'T QUITE QUICK ENOUGH FOR THAT...

      Metallico:      RE-BOOT COMPLETED. EFFICIENCY LEVEL 100%.

      3. Different version of page 1 panel 2 & 3 combined - make it more from the other Sonic's point of view this time.

      Present Sonic:      RUN, JUST RUN!! THE TIME STONE WILL TAKE YOU INTO THE PAST!

      Sonic:      BUT WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO?!

      Pesent  Sonic:      YOU'LL FIGURE IT OUT! I DID!!

      4. Large panel showing the remaining Sonic dodging the attack of Metallico. The metal background is just starting to look a little insubstantial.

      Sonic:      I DON'T GET IT. I DID EVERYTHING RIGHT BUT NOTHING'S CHANGED!

      SFX:      FRZZZAAKKK!!

      Sonic:      HANG ON THOUGH...

      PAGE 7.

      1. Sonic is still running from Metallico and now the metal of the planet is transparent.

      Sonic:      IT'S WORKING! TIME IS RE-ORGANISING ITSELF.

      SFX:      FRZZZAAKKK!!

      2. Now the metal of the planet has completely vanished leaving the unspoiled green world that Miracle Planet should be. Sonic is growing again.

      Sonic:      HEY, I'M GROWING! OF COURSE, THE SHRINKING RAY NEVER EXISTED!

      Sonic:      ROBOTNIK'S MACHINE NEVER GREW TO COVER THE PLANET...

      3. Sonic turns to Metallico who is now transparent and ghost-like. Sonic has grown back to his full size.

      Sonic:      ...BUT, MOST IMPORTANTLY OF ALL...

      Sonic:      ... YOU CHUM...

      Sonic:      ... WERE NEVER BUILT!

      4. Amy runs up to Sonic, she is delighted. Sonic is not pleased to see her.

      Amy Rose:      SONIC! YOU'VE DONE IT! YOU'VE BEATEN METALLICO AND SAVED THE PLANET... UNBELIEVABLE!!

      Sonic:      IT'S NOT ALL GOOD NEWS... I SAVED YOU TOO, DIDN'T I?

      5. Long shot of Miracle Planet with the chain leading into nowhere. The Planet is a healthy green colour now.

      Balloon:      Y'KNOW SONIC THE MIRACLE PLANET DOESN'T       APPEAR OVER MOBIUS FOR A WHOLE MONTH. WE'LL       BE HERE TOGETHER ALL ALONE... JUST YOU AND       ME...

      Balloon:      BOY, I'M REALLY GOING TO MISS METALLICO!

      END.

    • Ed Reynolds
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 22, 2002
        Thanks for posting the scripts, Nigel! Interesting reading. I'm
        curious about this Apokolips thing, although it sounds suspiciously
        like an awful pun. I was actually going to ask if you got paid twice
        for the reprint page so I'm quite amused that you did.

        And the time thing... well I've got to side with Richard Elson here,
        this looks like a particularly virulent bout of that patented
        Kitching logic.

        Let me try and work through it, maybe you can point out where I'm
        coming a-cropper...

        Logic problem 1: Sonic is rescued by his future self who gives him
        the time stone. This allows Sonic to travel back in time and claim
        the time stone to give to what is by that stage his past self. But
        who gave Sonic the time stone to allow Sonic to give himself the
        time stone to allow himself to... well, you get the idea. Of course,
        this isn't exactly an original problem. And it is a working paradox -
        it's not going to short-circuit time or anything.

        It's a lot easier to accept after issue 142 when Lew more or less
        confirmed that in the STC universe there is a God. I know Nigel
        never had this kind of stuff in his stories, but it does solve the
        problem anyway. "God did it." Wonderful.

        (Any "Gargoyles" fans out there are probably quite familiar with all
        this sort of thing since it happened several times. "Gargoyles" of
        course goes with the theory that history can't be changed and I
        really buy that because it seems much neater, even if the time loops
        do suffer this same issue. Nigel's time doesn't seem to be immutable
        though as we'll get to in a second.).

        Logic problem 2:

        The only thing on the Miracle Planet that didn't change was Amy.
        Everything else changes completely. But actually, the change only
        happens after Sonic leaves with the time stone. Not when Sonic
        arrives with the time stone to give it to his past self. Not before
        any of this ever happened. Which suggests that there was always room
        for things to go a bit differently. Except it didn't go any
        differently. As we have painfully drilled into us by the repeated
        page, it's exactly the same both times because it is in fact the
        same time. But if nothing changed those times, why should there have
        been any other outcome? And if there was never going to be any other
        outcome, why did the thing exist in the first place?

        Logic problem 3:
        Sonic remembers his time travelling adventure. But Metallix was
        never created, so there's nothing for Sonic to remember. And
        Robotnik obviously remembers it as well because he tells the second
        Metallix in issue 50 that Sonic killed his brother.

        Logic problem 4:
        Metallix never existed. Amy was never kidnapped by Metallix. But
        Amy's still on the planet.

        So either God is having a good old laugh, or there's some ultra-
        clever time travelling theory being modelled here, or Nigel was just
        making it up as he went along. Or a bit of all three maybe.

        Structurally, the story is nice enough. The Sonic/Amy/Metallix
        interaction is fantastic. I hardly have time to go into it, got to
        rush off in a moment, but the "planets are round" line is
        particularly memorable. I really liked Amy's "I've been called some
        things in my time" line in #26 as well.

        It's a good, well-written story. It's just that it also requires
        industrial size pinches of salt to take seriously. But then it is a
        story about two (sometimes 3)oddly coloured hedgehogs and their
        robot look-a-like after all.

        Ed
      • mteo86@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 22, 2002
          In a message dated 22/11/02 10:47:55 GMT Standard Time, ed@... writes:

          It's a lot easier to accept after issue 142 when Lew more or less
          confirmed that in the STC universe there is a God. I know Nigel
          never had this kind of stuff in his stories, but it does solve the
          problem anyway. "God did it." Wonderful.

          Or, according to Xena's guest appearence in The Simpsons, "Ah, well. Every time you see something like that, a wizard did it."

          So that explains it. It was a wizard.

          Mark
        • Thalia Evans
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 23, 2002
            >Thanks for posting the scripts, Nigel! Interesting reading. I'm
            >curious about this Apokolips thing, although it sounds suspiciously
            >like an awful pun. I was actually going to ask if you got paid twice
            >for the reprint page so I'm quite amused that you did.
            >
            >And the time thing... well I've got to side with Richard Elson here,
            >this looks like a particularly virulent bout of that patented
            >Kitching logic.
            >
            >Let me try and work through it, maybe you can point out where I'm
            >coming a-cropper...
            >
            >Logic problem 1: Sonic is rescued by his future self who gives him
            >the time stone. This allows Sonic to travel back in time and claim
            >the time stone to give to what is by that stage his past self. But
            >who gave Sonic the time stone to allow Sonic to give himself the
            >time stone to allow himself to... well, you get the idea. Of course,
            >this isn't exactly an original problem. And it is a working paradox -
            > it's not going to short-circuit time or anything.

            Aargh... brain... exploding...
            *ahem* My solution to that one? Don't try to think about it. :)
            Try to figure out time-travel suff and all you get is a headache... heheh.
            I just switch off brain and read.
            I was very interested to read that that story was inspired by one of my
            favourite Red Dwarf episodes :)

            >It's a lot easier to accept after issue 142 when Lew more or less
            >confirmed that in the STC universe there is a God. I know Nigel
            >never had this kind of stuff in his stories, but it does solve the
            >problem anyway. "God did it." Wonderful.

            Ugh, the God thing. That got right up my nose... I really didn't need STC
            getting all religious on me. I have nothing against that kind of thing,
            but... I don't know... at the time it just wasn't something I wanted to read
            about in a comic strip. *shrugs*
            --Thalia

          • David Bulmer
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 25, 2002

              Ho hoh. I thought it was dead exciting. THE SAME THING! BECAUSE, HE'S
              ONE - - COOOL

              >The repeated scene observed from different points in time idea came from an
              early Red Dwarf episode called Future Echoes.

              How well written / performed was that?

              "Well it probably IS deja-vu, it sounds like it!"

              >I also remember more than one phone call form Richard Elson insisting that
              my little time conundrum just didn't work. To this day he's still not >sure
              this story really works as far as the time travel aspect is concerned.

              Well, no time-travel stories ever worked. I was eleven, and me and my mates
              thought it worked perfectly, and we were all, "*gasp!* He went through time,
              and now he's little and that, and it's WHAT HAPPENED BEFORE!"

              We got it. No worries.

              -
              Buml0r
            • David Bulmer
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 25, 2002
                > So either God is having a good old laugh, or there's some ultra-
                > clever time travelling theory being modelled here, or Nigel was just
                > making it up as he went along. Or a bit of all three maybe.

                Time-travel stories never work properly. Those questions can be related to
                any time-travel story if you think about it. I reckon it was a good read and
                that's about all that counts.

                No, what I never understood was why Metallix could suddenly just seep
                through solid walls at one point.

                -
                Buml0r
              • mteo86@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 26, 2002
                  In a message dated 26/11/02 02:24:18 GMT Standard Time, davebulmer@... writes:

                  No, what I never understood was why Metallix could suddenly just seep
                  through solid walls at one point.

                  Just remember, "Any time you notice something like that, a wizard did it."

                  Hey, a little tacky, but it works on me! ;D

                  Mark
                • knuckles319@juno.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 26, 2002
                    maybe he had shadow-cat(kittie-pryde) from x-men helping him... but then
                    again, she'd probably short him out... so yes, i guess a wizard did it.

                    -gina

                    On Tue, 26 Nov 2002 10:05:21 EST mteo86@... writes:
                    > davebulmer@... writes:
                    >

                    > > No, what I never understood was why Metallix could suddenly just
                    > seep
                    > > through solid walls at one point.
                    > >

                    > Just remember, "Any time you notice something like that, a wizard
                    > did it."
                    >
                    > Hey, a little tacky, but it works on me! ;D
                    >
                    > Mark

                    "wingarda leviosa, wingarda-
                    *BAM!!!*" - Seamus Finnigan, from 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's stone'

                    Only $9.95 per month!
                    Visit www.juno.com
                  • Thalia Evans
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 27, 2002

                      > > So either God is having a good old laugh, or there's some ultra-
                      > > clever time travelling theory being modelled here, or Nigel was just
                      > > making it up as he went along. Or a bit of all three maybe.
                      > >

                      >Time-travel stories never work properly. Those questions can be related to
                      >any time-travel story if you think about it. I reckon it was a good read
                      >and
                      >that's about all that counts.

                      Maybe the point of time travel is to make your head spin. Good isn't it?

                      >No, what I never understood was why Metallix could suddenly just seep
                      >through solid walls at one point.

                      Yeah, I preffered the Alien-style description in the script. That would've
                      worked really well. I suppose it might have been a bit tricky to draw
                      though...
                      --Thalia

                    • Thalia Evans
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 27, 2002

                        > > No, what I never understood was why Metallix could suddenly just seep
                        > > through solid walls at one point.
                        > >

                        >Just remember, "Any time you notice something like that, a wizard did it."
                        >
                        >Hey, a little tacky, but it works on me! ;D
                        >
                        >Mark

                        Nah, Chaos energy did it. That's always my excuse :)Heh heh....