Re: Digest Number 934

  • Nigel Kitching
    Message 1 of 6 , May 22, 2002
      Michael wrote:

      "Robotnik was written far better than your average comic villain, IMO.
      He had a lot of corny dialogue towards the beginning, tho. Who's idea was it
      to include all those egg jokes?"

      Hi Michael

      The egg joke stuff was Richard Burton's idea. I never liked it at all but in
      the beginning I used it a couple of times because I was asked to. As soon as
      my confidence grew I stopped. I have a feeling Richard altered my scripts a
      couple of times to include these gags actually.

      "Actually, Mister Shifter reminded me of the villains you normally get in
      comics... As did a lot of the villains in the Special Zone. Except Nack. And
      Sidewinder's gang. They were all pure class!"

      Those Special Zone villains (not Sidewinder and co) were my parody of
      American comics - big over developed guys hitting each other for no
      particular reason.

      "Ah yes, "He's not an alien menace, he's a very naughty boy!"
      I only understood those Monty Python references when I started re-reading my
      collection a while ago. I didn't even know I had 'Decap-Man'. It's now my
      favorite Decap story. Was that the last one?"

      Sadly it was.

      "I have a question, Nigel! What was the first STC strip you wrote? The first
      one I have is 'Day of the Badniks' in issue 4."

      That's the one.

      Nigel
    • Nigel Kitching
      Message 2 of 6 , May 22, 2002
        Mark wrote:

        "Um, Nigel? Did you have any other plans for Super Sonic at all?"

        Well I knew that the last time I wrote him I would never get the chance to
        use him again, so not really.

        But I do know this: Ebony was Super Sonic's best ever friend and yet when he
        was destroyed she didn't seem very upset by this. I think she knows
        something that Sonic doesn't and she used her magic powers to save him. I
        don't know how - maybe Super Sonic is now part of her the way he was once
        part of Sonic. She's a sneaky one that Ebony.

        "(I go on a bit, don't I?) Basically, would his ending have been different
        if you'd had a
        few more issues to play with...?"

        No I don't think Super Sonic would have ended up any differently. I might
        have implied that Ebony had actually saved him in some way. I don't know
        really. I do remember feeling very short of space when I wrote those last
        couple of issues.

        Nigel
      • akazac
        Message 3 of 6 , May 22, 2002
          --- In sonicthecomic@y..., "Nigel Kitching" <nigel@n...> wrote:

          > I do remember feeling very short of space when I wrote those last
          > couple of issues.

          Though I remember feeling that very little happened in #183 when I
          read it.

          I mean you did that big full page panel at the end for crying out
          loud...

          Zac (realising he's never going to get that free drink now)
        • michael
          Message 4 of 6 , May 23, 2002
            > The egg joke stuff was Richard Burton's idea. I never liked it at all but
            in
            > the beginning I used it a couple of times because I was asked to. As soon
            as
            > my confidence grew I stopped. I have a feeling Richard altered my scripts
            > couple of times to include these gags actually.

            Yes, they did appear a lot. I think there was even one in the Death Egg
            saga, actually.

            > Those Special Zone villains (not Sidewinder and co) were my parody of
            > American comics - big over developed guys hitting each other for no
            > particular reason.

            That's what I thought. Like in 'Heroes and Villains' part 1, right? I think
            there were a lot like that there...

            Mister Shifter seemed like the kind of thing that would keep Spider-Man busy
            for days, but he hardly gave Sonic any trouble at all. Just a few punches.
            And Sonic's solution to it was much better than your average super hero
            would come up with. Who would've thought... plasticine. ;)

            Michael
          • ThaliaRockChick@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , May 23, 2002
              >>"Um, Nigel? Did you have any other plans for Super Sonic at all?"

              Well I knew that the last time I wrote him I would never get the chance to
              use him again, so not really.

              But I do know this: Ebony was Super Sonic's best ever friend and yet when he
              was destroyed she didn't seem very upset by this. I think she knows
              something that Sonic doesn't and she used her magic powers to save him. I
              don't know how - maybe Super Sonic is now part of her the way he was once
              part of Sonic. She's a sneaky one that Ebony.>>

              Ooh... interesting... (I see a fanfic coming...)

              >>"(I go on a bit, don't I?) Basically, would his ending have been different
              if you'd had a
              few more issues to play with...?"

              No I don't think Super Sonic would have ended up any differently. I might
              have implied that Ebony had actually saved him in some way. I don't know
              really. I do remember feeling very short of space when I wrote those last
              couple of issues.

              Nigel >>

              Hmm... thanks for clearing that one up. Actually, in one of my not-so-good
              fan comics I went and separated them again... leaving Sonic with the
              even-worse Hyper Sonic to deal with. Made my SA2 adaptation a bit tough to do
              though... whoops. Heh.
              And, uh, I'm writing a fan adaptation of Running Wild at the moment... do
              you mind? If not, any tips? I'm doing it in first-person, from Sonic's point
              of view.
            • ThaliaRockChick@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , May 23, 2002
                zac@... writes:

                << Though I remember feeling that very little happened in #183 when I
                read it.

                I mean you did that big full page panel at the end for crying out
                loud...

                Zac (realising he's never going to get that free drink now) >>

                I liked it myself... but, no offence Nigel, I can't help feeling that Super
                deserved better... ah well. You can't always have a happy ending for
                everyone, can you?