Re: Digest Number 933

  • Nigel Kitching
    Message 1 of 6 , May 21, 2002
      Zac:

      > Now that I've finished reading the entire Ditko run of the early
      > Spider-Man issues I think I can now say that Nigel completely
      > surplanted the character of Peter Parker from the later issues of
      > that all-too-short run onto Sonic. His cockiness, his ignorance of
      > girls, the way he "didn't have time" to make any friends, his
      > humorous quips (naturally) etc.

      I wasn't consciously influenced directly by Spider-Man when I wrote Sonic.
      And I don't think that Peter Parker and Sonic are particularly similar.
      Parker was basically a good guy who was initially was driven by guilt.
      Parker was not cocky he was insecure. He couldn't get together with Betty
      because of his big secret of being Spider-Man and the fact that he was
      pretty certain he would lose Betty if she ever found out his secret
      identity - Betty's brother had been killed when he tried to be heroic. And
      Betty actually was Parker's girlfriend. Sonic didn't get together with Amy
      because he
      found her really irritating initially but she was growing on him. Sonic just
      thought that it would not be cool to get involved with girls. Parker was a
      loner but Sonic was the centre of attention. Basically Parker is an
      introvert but Sonic is an extrovert. They really are quite different.

      The only character I had in mind when I created Sonic's character was the
      Fonze from Happy Days - but without the sentimentality. Sonic liked to spend
      time with his friends but it had to be understood that he was the coolest.

      > Amy (Betty Brant) has eyes for Sonic (Peter), but he feels such a
      > relationship has no place in his superhero job.

      No. Betty made it clear she didn't want a heroic boyfriend - she liked Peter
      because he seemed to be an unheroic sort. Peter knew that if she ever found
      out about Spider-Man he's lose her. Peter's worry was that Betty would be in
      danger because of his role as Spider-Man - since when did Sonic ever give a
      thought about Amy's safety?

      Sonic was just embarrassed by Amy - he never said anything about there being
      no place for relationships in a super hero environment.

      > Meanwhile a
      > colleague, Johnny (Ned Leeds) is interested in her but that
      > relationship isn't taken anywhere...

      Ned Leeds represented (to Peter) a genuine threat to his and Betty's
      relationship. Johnny interest in Amy (if it had gone any further) would have
      provoked confusion in Sonic - he'd feel jealous and he'd of been kind of
      confused by this, wondering if he could actually have feelings for Amy. But
      it's
      quite different since Peter and Betty had a romantic relationship and Sonic
      and Amy didn't. Peter knew how he felt about Betty - unlike Sonic with Amy.

      > And he fights a big fat ugly doctor/crimelord, Robotnik (Doc Ock,
      > Goblin, Kingpin etc) every now and again.

      Robotnik was a fascist dictator ruling over a planet. Spidey had no villains
      like this. The nearest was the Kingpin and he was just a crime boss and he
      didn't even turn up in the series until Ditko was gone. Robotnik is like
      other comic villains but not from Spider-Man. Actually Robotnik is still
      pretty
      much his own character.

      I know you are very keen to see me as very influenced by Stan Lee, Zac, but
      this is not the case. I've read a lot of Stan Lee comics but he and I come
      at this whole job from a very different perspective. The thing I did get
      from Marvel was the idea to involve the artist in the creation of story
      ideas. But I did this is a quite different way (and for different reasons)
      to Stan Lee. As far as writing goes I really don't know who my influences
      are - I feel like my own person when I write. My one-liners are more likely
      to be inspired (ie ripped off from) Monty Python or Woody Allen than they
      are Stan Lee.

      I'll have to think about who my influences are in writing sometime. My style
      really changed when I started on Sonic but it really felt like I was in new
      territory here and coming up with a way of writing exciting adventure
      stories for what are essentially funny animal characters.

      Oops, better get on...

      Nigel
    • Nigel Kitching
      Message 2 of 6 , May 21, 2002
        > Hey, Nigel! Where have you been? I was starting to wonder if you were
        still
        > on this list!!
        >
        > So, what was the deal with Zachary, huh? Spill the beans!!
        >
        > I've gone and done your work for you (although technically, it's NOT your
        > work anymore...) ! - Still, even though I've come up with a 9-part Zachary
        > solution, I still wanna know what you had planned!!!
        >
        > Mark

        Hi Mark

        I'm still around, I'm just doing other things with my time.

        I don't know what else I can tell you about Zachary. I didn't have any
        particular plans for him beyond what I mentioned in my previous post. I had
        in mind that he was a convicted criminal back in the echidna world. I did
        have some idea for including him in the final ten issue run of mine back in
        the echidna past.

        But sorry, I didn't have ideas worked out in great detail for the character.

        Nigel
      • michael
        Message 3 of 6 , May 21, 2002
          > Robotnik was a fascist dictator ruling over a planet. Spidey had no
          villains
          > like this. The nearest was the Kingpin and he was just a crime boss and he
          > didn't even turn up in the series until Ditko was gone. Robotnik is like
          > other comic villains but not from Spider-Man. Actually Robotnik is still
          > pretty
          > much his own character.

          Robotnik was written far better than your average comic villain, IMO.
          He had a lot of corny dialogue towards the beginning, tho. Who's idea was it
          to include all those egg jokes?
          Actually, Mister Shifter reminded me of the villains you normally get in
          comics... As did a lot of the villains in the Special Zone. Except Nack. And
          Sidewinder's gang. They were all pure class!

          > I know you are very keen to see me as very influenced by Stan Lee, Zac,
          but
          > this is not the case. I've read a lot of Stan Lee comics but he and I come
          > at this whole job from a very different perspective. The thing I did get
          > from Marvel was the idea to involve the artist in the creation of story
          > ideas. But I did this is a quite different way (and for different reasons)
          > to Stan Lee. As far as writing goes I really don't know who my influences
          > are - I feel like my own person when I write. My one-liners are more
          likely
          > to be inspired (ie ripped off from) Monty Python or Woody Allen than they
          > are Stan Lee.

          Ah yes, "He's not an alien menace, he's a very naughty boy!"
          I only understood those Monty Python references when I started re-reading my
          collection a while ago. I didn't even know I had 'Decap-Man'. It's now my
          favorite Decap story. Was that the last one?

          > I'll have to think about who my influences are in writing sometime. My
          style
          > really changed when I started on Sonic but it really felt like I was in
          new
          > territory here and coming up with a way of writing exciting adventure
          > stories for what are essentially funny animal characters.

          I have a question, Nigel! What was the first STC strip you wrote? The first
          one I have is 'Day of the Badniks' in issue 4.

          Michael
        • ThaliaRockChick@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , May 21, 2002
            Um, Nigel? Did you have any other plans for Super Sonic at all? (I go on a
            bit, don't I?) Basically, would his ending have been different if you'd had a
            few more issues to play with...?
          • michael
            Message 5 of 6 , May 21, 2002
              > Um, Nigel? Did you have any other plans for Super Sonic at all? (I go on a
              > bit, don't I?) Basically, would his ending have been different if you'd
              had a
              > few more issues to play with...?

              Ooo, ooo! I read in one of the old posts from Nigel something about Ebony
              absorbing Super into herself instead of Sonic, or something... ok, never
              mind. It's prolly best if Nigel answers, anyway. At least he'll know...

              Michael
            • ThaliaRockChick@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , May 23, 2002
                In a message dated 21/05/02 19:58:27 GMT Daylight Time, M.MAYNARD@...
                writes:

                << Ooo, ooo! I read in one of the old posts from Nigel something about Ebony
                absorbing Super into herself instead of Sonic, or something... ok, never
                mind. It's prolly best if Nigel answers, anyway. At least he'll know...

                Michael >>

                Urk... ummm... wierd. That's a very, ah, interesting idea... not that I'd do
                that to him in one of my fanfics though, at least not permanently...