Re: [songwriters-network] Ben McLane wants to help you be MAJOR

  • Brady Dandino
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2006
      Applauds to you Jimi. That's what I figured after checking out this guys
      site. I mean, that's what this town is about - using even the most basic of
      networkings to keep possiblilties open. I plan on attending. This would be
      my first meeting of this sort. Is there a performance opportunity, or just
      the speaker? Either way, it sounds like a nice nite.
      Brady Dandino
      www.bradydandino.8m.com
      Bradioman Entertainment
      323-395-7473

    • jimi yamagishi
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2006
        Thanks Brady!
        The first half of the evening is all about our guest speakers. A breif
        intro, what they do, how they can help, then Q&A.
        The second half of the evening is usually a pitch/critique session,
        listening to CDs that people bring in for review. In the case of music
        supervisors & publishers, the Cds are often picked up for further
        consideration & possible use. Several artists have been placed by this
        alone.
        Because Ben is well known, there may be many people to listen to, which
        means we may not be able to accomodate a live performance. A CD would be
        preferable.
        Even if you don't have anything to listen to, you'll learn a LOT from the
        comments made about other people's work, & stuff you'll need to know for our
        next one (Who is a PUBLISHER in July)
        And, of course, I'm sure you'll have plenty of questions about licensing &
        legal issues in this digital age.
        Looking forward t' seeing you there!
        Jimi
        SongNet.org

        >From: "Brady Dandino" <Bradioman@...>
        >
        >Applauds to you Jimi. That's what I figured after checking out this guys
        >site. I mean, that's what this town is about - using even the most basic of
        >networkings to keep possiblilties open. I plan on attending. This would be
        >my first meeting of this sort. Is there a performance opportunity, or just
        >the speaker? Either way, it sounds like a nice nite.
        >Brady Dandino
        >www.bradydandino.8m.com
        >Bradioman Entertainment
        >323-395-7473
      • Seen Robinson
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2006
          Hi Jimi,
          Although I agree with you and Brady in principle. Let me
          clarify what I was commenting on from your original post.

          Here is your quote (I copied and pasted from this email
          below):
          "Yeah, he's lookin' for artists. & most of you here KNOW
          that attorneys are often the NEW A&R."

          Sounds to me like you're saying he's looking for artists.
          And is A & R. No?

          My only point was (which is why I kept my comment short),
          Don't sell him as a shopping lawyer, that's not his game.
          I've done business with Ben, and I recommend him to
          everyone (he is unbelievable popular right now too). I'm a
          firm believer in networking and getting everyone to support
          and work with you, but that's not what you originally
          posted. So please don't reply back that that's what you
          meant, cuz it doesn't come off that way.

          My last word is this. Jimi, I hail you for your work and
          support of the music community. So please don't mistake
          this for a negative response. I just wanted to clarify for
          your recepients of songwriters-network, that if they seek
          out Ben to help them shop or treat him as A & R, they will
          be disappointed, because I've asked him if that's what he
          does, and he said flat out. No.

          And to all others, I'm sorry if I've wasted your time with
          this.
          Seen

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • jimi@songnet.org
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 5, 2006
            Okay! Ya'll have seen plenty of good stuff here AND on other forums,
            so there's no question that if you show up
            WEDNESDAY, JUNE 7th, 7:30 PM
            @ The Coffee Gallery Backstage
            2029 N. Lake Ave
            Altadena
            2 miles N off the 210 fwy
            You will not be disappointed if you come with demos & legal questions
            for renowned MUSIC ATTORNEY Ben McLane!
            And, even though gas is not cheap, there's NO COVER so you CAN afford
            this one!
            In case you missed the last few emailings, check our site:
            www.songnet.org, go to Ben's official site, & take note of the header
            on his myspace page.
            This is SURE to be a great night!
            Seeya there!