AAR on Song of Drums and Shakos game at local convention

  • luscious_robinson
    Message 1 of 3 , May 31, 2017

      A few weeks ago I was in Hamilton (Ontario, Canada) for the one-day Broadsword game convention, and I ran another four-player game of SDS, this time the "Troubles with the Ladies of Spain" scenario I developed from the "Reinforcements" scenario.  Voltigeurs (and eventually dragoons) vs. British Lights and Rifles in Spain.

      Report on the convention and my game here:  http://twothreesixmm.blogspot.ca/2017/05/broadsword-3-game-convention-in-hamilton.html

      Couple of questions have come up lately from newbie players, so I'm wondering what the collective here thinks:

      - Should lancers always get to use their lances, or they sort of a single-use weapon (or only used when attacking)?  Given the period, I see them as being able to be used all the time, since from my perspective, by this time they were more like stabbing spears rather than the medieval one-shot weapon.

      - Should mounted troops be able to jump over linear obstacles the same way foot troops do?  We had dragoons fighting across a fence with light infantry (who got the defending an obstacle bonus in combat), but when the dragoons won, they wanted to move over the fence.  Since there wasn't anything I saw that forbade this, and they'd followed the usual rules (stopping at the fence, then doing a short move when they had space to clear it), I allowed it, partly on the basis that it was abstracted out that they'd retreated a bit and then galloped to jump it.  But in the future I may declare beforehand what linear obstacles can or can't be cleared by mounted troops (fences yes, some walls no).

      - Has anyone gone back to add Running Blow (in the More SDS book) to any or all cavalry from the first book?  I sort of hem and haw about this, in  MSDS it's only really native troops who get it, and I'm not sure it's really missing from how cavalry are played now.  But it would be kinda cool to see some cavalry really saw through troops sometimes.

      Cheers,

      Chris

    • Michael Demana
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2017
        Your convention game sounds great! I feel that Running Blow is one of the more awkward Traits to utilize. However, mounted troops should be the ones that have the best chance of doing so. One of the dangers of moving into contact is that the other player can then gang up on your guys. If your mounted guy attacks and then moves out of their range, though, it becomes less of a danger. You have more control over when the melee occurs. I DO think it is way overpriced, though. Perhaps one way to make it more useful is — if the character with Running Blow is knocked down — they don’t actually fall off their horse until the end of their move (not a their opponent’s feet). If it is a recoil, they ignore it, and it is no effect.

        Thoughts?

        Michael Demana
        mikedemana@...
        Check out my travel website at: www.worldwidemike.com
        My gaming blog at: http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com
      • luscious_robinson
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1, 2017
          Thanks for the reply Michael, glad I'm not the only one thinking about this.  I was hesitant to add to it cavalry since all the cavalry troops (except for a couple of native/Ottoman types) didn't have it added, but it definitely feels like a cavalry trait.  However, as you pointed out, cavalry are already pretty expensive troop types and it just adds to that, and once you start adding it, pretty much all cavalry should get it.

          I'm not sure about the idea of the Running Blow figure being able to pass by his opponent before falling off, I do sort of like the image of the cavalryman getting dragged off his horse and being ganged up on.  I just have to reconcile that with also liking the idea of cavalry sweeping by opponents with their swords flying to the left and right.  Maybe it should be thought of sort of like Hero (without becoming a personality), not everybody gets it but if the scenario seems to call for it, a few guys can get it.

          Maybe I'll try a cavalry heavy scenario with everybody having it and seeing how it plays out.  I have some 1815 Scots Greys which have no real purpose other than some fictional scenario ideas I'm working on for a post-charge rescue scenario or maybe something the day after Waterloo, but they'd be good candidates, from a cinematic point of view at least, to get Running Blow in a test.

          Cheers,
          Chris

          On Thursday 01/06/2017 at 11:16 am, Michael Demana mikedemana@... songofblades wrote:
          Your convention game sounds great! I feel that Running Blow is one of the more awkward Traits to utilize. However, mounted troops should be the ones that have the best chance of doing so. One of the dangers of moving into contact is that the other player can then gang up on your guys. If your mounted guy attacks and then moves out of their range, though, it becomes less of a danger. You have more control over when the melee occurs. I DO think it is way overpriced, though. Perhaps one way to make it more useful is — if the character with Running Blow is knocked down — they don’t actually fall off their horse until the end of their move (not a their opponent’s feet). If it is a recoil, they ignore it, and it is no effect.

          Thoughts?

          Michael Demana
          mikedemana@...
          Check out my travel website at: http://www.worldwidemike.com
          My gaming blog at: http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com

          ------------------------------------
          Posted by: Michael Demana <mikedemana@...>

          <*> Your email settings:
               Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
               (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
               songofblades-digest@yahoogroups.com
               songofblades-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          BEGIN-ANTISPAM-VOTING-LINKS

          Teach CanIt if this mail (ID 0aTrrgp4x) is spam:
          Spam: https://antispam.roaringpenguin.com/canit/b.php?c=s&i=0aTrrgp4x&m=e08e8a318039&rlm=nexicom-net&t=20170601
          Fraud/Phish: https://antispam.roaringpenguin.com/canit/b.php?c=p&i=0aTrrgp4x&m=e08e8a318039&rlm=nexicom-net&t=20170601
          Not spam: https://antispam.roaringpenguin.com/canit/b.php?c=n&i=0aTrrgp4x&m=e08e8a318039&rlm=nexicom-net&t=20170601
          Forget vote: https://antispam.roaringpenguin.com/canit/b.php?c=f&i=0aTrrgp4x&m=e08e8a318039&rlm=nexicom-net&t=20170601