Song of Drums and Tomahawks AAR

  • nnascati
    Message 1 of 3 , May 6, 2017

      Andrea etal,

                        Had a great game of SODT last night.  I adapted the Assault on a Farm scenario from Song of Drums and Shakos to the French and Indian War.  My opponent played the attacker, with a force of 13 Huron Warriors and 3 Courer Du Bois.  My defenders were 5 settlers in the farm compound, and a party of 4 rangers and a frontersman roaming the outside.  Both the Indians and the Rangers used hidden deployment.  The first couple turns were uneventful, as the Indians moved invisiby forward.  I had my Rangers moving toward the vital bridge, with an eye to cross it and come around behind the Indians.  Once the Rangers crossed the bridge, all hell broke loose.  The Rangers drew first blood, taking out one of the Courer Du Bois, but good die rolling moved the Indian counters up far too quickly. The 3 Rangers and the Frontiersman suddenly found themselves surrounded by shrieking Huron warriors, and were quickly overwhelmed.  The 4th Ranger still across the river, managed to drop a Huron, before being taken out himself. My force now consisted of the 5 settlers, a morale check at 50% forced them back from the outskirts into the relative safety of the farm compound.  The Indians, feeling bloodlust, started to move over the bridge.  Things were not looking too good for the Americans.

                       Suddenly though the situation changed rapidly.  My opponent without realizing, moved his War Chief across the bridge, and into the open, a clear shot for the settlers. One plucky settler rolled enough fr an aimed shot, and BAM, the War Chief went to the Hunting Grounds.  The resulting morale checking saw a few Indians quit the field, bringing them below 50% themselves, which forced another morale check. That beoke the back of the Huron force, and left the Americans in control of the bridge.  A good game, tense and close to the very end.  Had it not been for the exposed War Chief, things would have likely gone the other way.

                                                                                                                 Nick

    • alan_lockhart
      Message 2 of 3 , May 7, 2017
        Nick,

        Sounds a great game.  What make of figures and scenery do you use?

        Alan
      • nnascati
        Message 3 of 3 , May 7, 2017
          Figures are 40mm Trident minsi from Miniature Service Center.  Terrain except for trees, i sall made form scratch.