  • Gregory Jenkins
    Message 1 of 1 , May 24, 2013

    www.partsandcrafts.org  summer camps still available

    Registration is open for summer camp!

    Camp is open to kids ages 7-13 and runs from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. from July 1 to August 30. Sliding scale options are available for all sessions. Early and late care are available from 8:30 – 5:30 (cost is posted on the links below)

    Girls Invention Week
    1 week, July 1-5

    Register: https://www.wepay.com/events/girlsweek2013

    We think girls are great! We think boys are great, too, but it’s a fact that girls are underrepresented in the sciences in general and in our programs in particular. We’d like all of your programs to be totally diverse, but we think that, in order to get there, we need to spend some time reaching out specifically to underrepresented groups and making spaces that feel safe and empowering and fun for them.

    With that in mind, a week of invention and creation! We’ll have our electronics workbench, art table, a bunch of hand-tools, building supplies, scrap materials, air pumps, hot glue, duct tape, etc. We can’t predict exactly what we’ll happen when we get a bunch creative and brilliant kids and adults together for a week, but we promise that it will be fun, and amazing! $75-300, sliding scale.

    Music and Mechanisms
    2 weeks, July 8-19

    Register: https://www.wepay.com/events/summer-2013-session-2-music-and-mechanisms

    Things that move and things that sing. Mechanical systems and musical
    inventions. We’ll play with motors, gears, cams, all sorts of devices
    for making and controlling motion. And we’ll make music and musical
    instruments together of all kinds — accoustic and electronic, simple
    and complex, tuneful and noisy.

    We’ll also play games and draw pictures and go on hikes and program
    computers and design circuits and hang out and see what happens.
    $150-600, sliding scale.

    Things that Move
    2 weeks, July 22-August 2

    https://www.wepay.com/events/summer-2013-session-3-things-that-move

    We’re surrounded by mechanical systems. Motors, gears, cams, crankshafts, pulleys, linkages — the building blocks of mechanical systems are really fascinating, and hands-on demonstrations of engineering principles and ingenuity. So we’ll make things that move. Kinetic sculptures and motorized toy cars and catapults.

    And we’ll make ourselves move too — with dance, juggling, circus arts, and giant games of capture the flag! And play games and build circuits and hang out and have a blast. $150-600, sliding scale.

    Imaginary Worlds
    2 weeks, August 5-16

    https://www.wepay.com/events/summer-2013-session-4-imaginary-worlds

    Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic (and
    vice versa).

    Sometimes creativity is designing a really clever mechanical linkage
    or solution to a programming problem, and sometimes it’s inventing a
    magic spell or a fascinating creature. We’ll design alien worlds and
    alien life and make movies about them. We’ll also play games and tell
    stories set in fantasy worlds of our own devising and design magical
    and alien artifacts.

    We’ll also make music and draw pictures and build machines and program
    computers and design circuits and hang out and experiment and have a
    great time. $150-600, sliding scale.

    Life: Natural and Artificial
    2 weeks, August 19-30

    https://www.wepay.com/events/summer-2013-session-5-life-natural-and-artificial

    Robots and wildlife! We’ll make autonomous robots and program computers to simulate living things and then we’ll go outside, explore the urban ecosystem, garden, hike around Somerville gathering wild edible plants and cook ourselves a snack!

    We’ll also play games and draw pictures and make music and program computers and design circuits and hang out and have a blast. $150-600, sliding scale.

    Katie Gradowski
    --
    www.partsandcrafts.org