Spotlight: The Knocking Within

  • Wendy Jehlen/ANIKAI Dance Theater
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 30, 2012
      header
      Spotlight: The Knocking Within

      It is with some trepidation that we embark on our India tour.  We will be performing The Knocking Within, a work that portrays a relationship that begins in beauty and romance, and ends in violence, destruction, and perhaps disillusionment.  We will be performing in an India that is reeling in the aftermath of a horrific rape and murder, and in which many young people are demanding change - change in law, change in policy, and change in culture.  May their demands be met with action.

      We will also be taking The Knocking Within to Montreal in June, and back to Boston in the Fall.

      We will be scheduling school-day performances during our Boston run for high school students.  The performances will be followed by discussions led by relationship violence counselors.  We will also go into participating schools to present workshops prior to and following the performances.

      "The Knocking Within is a very intense and personal experience...the physical expression of growing distance and dissatisfaction is intense, and the emotional violence and isolation is chilling and deep."

      -Melissa Ress

      Executive Producer

      Moving Media

      more about The Knocking Within on the ANIKAI website

      The first rendition of The Knocking Within
      The first rendition of The Knocking Within
      performed in NYC in January 2012
      Follow and discuss this and other ANIKAI projects
      on the

      ANIKAI Dance Theater Blog

      ANIKAI Dance Theater/Wendy Jehlen
      67 Dane St.
      Somerville, MA 02143

      ANIKAI

      Worldwide Expansion - Phase One

      on Indiegogo

      2 DAYS TO GO!

      Every dollar counts...

      DONATE NOW

      Help bring our boundary-breaking performances to an ever-widening audience.

      anikainewpromo
      anikainewpromo
      Upcoming Events:
      International:
      India Tour 2013
      -
      The Knocking Within
      including:

      Bharat Rang Mahotsav Theatre Festival
      in Jaipur Jan 15 (NEW!)
      in Delhi, Jan 17

      International Theatre Festival of Kerala, Jan 21

      Latvia, February 2013 - the first phase of a new collaboration with Gertrudes ielas teatris, a contemporary theater

      company in Riga.

      Montreal Fringe Fest, June 2013 - The Knocking Within

      Upcoming US p
      erformances:
      Harvard University, April 11-13
      He Who Burns
      sponsored by the Harvard College Pakista
      ni Students Association & the Harvard Pakistani Students Group, with support from the Office for the Arts

      Green Space, NY, May 18 - the premiere of the evening-length incarnation of Lilith as part of the
      Taking Root series

      Dixon Place, NY June 25 - a re-staging of Haaa for the Dixon Place Crossing Boundaries series (NEW!)

      Arsenal Center for the Arts Blackbox Theater, Sept 4-15
      The Knocking Within

      This email was sent to somartscouncil@... by wendy@... |
      ANIKAI Dance/Akhra, Inc. | 67 Dane St. | Somerville | MA | 02143