Somerville Arts Council & the Inside-OUT Gallery Celebrate the Art of Nibble

  • yp_heather_somerville
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 21, 2012

      Somerville Arts Council the Inside-OUT Gallery

      Celebrate the Art of Nibble

      You may wonder, why does an Arts Council have such an insatiable appetite for food? To answer that question, let's rewind to 2005, when we received an Adams Arts Program Grant from the Massachusetts Cultural Council to spur the cultural economy of Union Square. With
      this grant, our ArtsUnion project was born. And it has been thriving ever since, with outdoor festivals and markets, new street furniture and banners in the square, new arts-friendly zoning—and a heaping portion of food-related programming.

      To share some of the food stories we've gathered, we launched Nibble, a blog about the intersection of food, art and culture in Union Square. The blog then spawned this book. In these pages, we explore how food tells a story about the Union Square community and plays an important place-making role. We think the square is a very special neighborhood right now; it is diverse, artsy, yet has enough grit to keep things interesting. This is illustrated through the food landscape, with its beautiful, motley mix of pizza joints, mom-and-pop markets, lively pubs, bustling farmers' markets, posh new restaurants and brimming global flavor. This book aims to capture this dynamic—and delicious—sense of place.

      They say too many cooks spoil the broth, but when it comes to this book, the opposite is true! Over the course of a year, more than 50 people worked towards making Nibble a reality. The vast majority of writers, photographers, artists, cooks and recipe testers contributed their time and talents on a voluntary basis—and we are so grateful. To honor their hard work, the Somerville Arts Council and the Inside-OUT Gallery December and January window celebrates the Art of Nibble. Below, you will find the list of the featured showcased this month. Enjoy and bon appétit.

      Featured Artists

      Meagan O'Brien
      www.meaganobrien.com

      Catherine Aiello
      www.catherineaiello.com

      Dustin Kerstein
      www.dustinkerstein.com

      Rachel Blumenthal
      www.rachelblumenthal.com

      Heather Balchunas
      www.hbillustrations.com

      Judith Klausner
      www.jgklausner.com

      Caleb Cole
      www.calebcolephoto.com

      Francisco De la Barra
      www.fran6co.com

      About the Inside-Out Gallery
      The Inside-Out Gallery is located in the CVS Window in Davis Square , a unique space that allows the public to view an eclectic array of works from artists and local organizations each month. The mission of the Somerville Arts Council is to cultivate and celebrate the creative expressions of the Somerville community. Through innovative collaborations and quality programming we work to make the arts an integral part of life reflective of our diverse city.