First Sunday at WSAC

  • Lee Kilpatrick
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 2003
      This weekend we have another great musical lineup at the Washington
      Street Art Center.

      Headlining is the Mayone Thing. Steve Mayone has played in the area
      for years, starting such local bands as Sticky and the Benders, and
      backing Clare Burson, Soltero, and Kris Delmhorst. After having
      recorded 15 home-made albums, he is finally releasing his first
      official CD, "Bedroom Rockstar". Steve's songwriting has been called
      "exquisite" by the Boston Globe, and you can catch the Mayone Thing's
      blues-rock performance this Sunday at WSAC.

      Opening the show will be long-time First Sunday favorite Jody
      Blackwell. Jody hails from the Carolinas via Rhode Island, which
      gives her a subtle blend of flavors. Her sound is a jazz-folk mix
      not entirely unlike that of Joni Mitchell. She has been working on a
      new album, so it is likely we will hear some new material from her
      this weekend; also, she may have a drummer. Her web site is at
      www.jodyblackwell.com.

      For First Sunday, come to the Washington Street Art Center at 7:30
      PM, on Sunday, March 2. WSAC is at 321 Washington Street in
      Somerville, near Union Square. Check out the web site at
      http://www.kickball.com/wsac/map.html for directions or call 617
      623-5313 if you need to. We have plenty of parking behind our
      building. There is no admission fee required, but a $5 donation is
      appreciated. Delicious homemade (some of them anyway) refreshments
      will be provided.
    • Lee Kilpatrick
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2005
        Come check out First Sunday this weekend at WSAC. I'm working on
        some Powerpoint slides to promote it, but I'm a bit behind, so here
        are the bullet points I have so far:

        First Sunday
        - concert series
        - First Sunday of the month at WSAC
        - free, but appreciate donations
        - always featuring snacks
        - This month, June 5, 7:30 PM
        - 3 bands
        - Plounge into Death
        - Wisteriax
        - Sarah Cooper

        Plounge Into Death
        - Plunge Into Death
        - rare "Lounge" performance
        - http://www.plungeintodeath.com/
        - throbbing sample-based music
        - kind of Mexican-sounding
        - singer still belts them out
        - mind bending; not to be missed

        Wisteriax
        - Karen (Sob Sisters) side project
        - http://www.wisteriax.com/
        - cello/noise music
        - "Wisteriax" is a made-up word

        Sarah Cooper
        - rare area performance
        - reclusive, cult following
        - many people attending just to see her

        WSAC
        - Washington Street Art Center
        - local artists' studios, community events
        - http://www.washingtonst.org/
        - directions, info, on web site
        - also featuring a gallery opening June 3, 7 PM

        P.S. Come by for our gallery opening Friday, June 3 at 7 PM.