"Beautiful Bullets" at McIntyre & Moore

  • Gary Duehr
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2003
      "Beautiful Bullets," a new book of poems by Gary Duehr, is now available at
      McIntyre & Moore Booksellers in Davis Square.

      From Manson to the moon shot, from I Love Paul to I Love Bobby, "Beautiful
      Bullets" looks back at the 1960s to find out what went wrong, and why--as
      well as searching for echoes thirty years later.

      Voices of the poems range from Lee Harvey Oswald interrogating himself at
      trial, to LBJ dreaming himself on the moon, to Che Guevara exchanging
      letters with Marie Antoinette about the 1968 student riots in Paris.

      "Beautiful Bullets" was supported in part by a grant from the National
      Endowment for the Arts and by a grant from the Somerville Arts Council. The
      book is 88 pp., $13.95, published by Cobble Hill Books.

      Duehr will be reading from "Beautiful Bullets" on Tuesday, Oct. 14, at 7 pm
      at the Newton Free Library poetry series.

      "Rewind"

      From a microphone, angry words fly back
      into a mouth, a spread-eagled student drags
      two cops down the street, a fist
      descends, & bombs retrace their tracks
      up into the bay of a B-52. Some kids

      use canisters to collect tear gas, which angle
      perfectly into the tips
      of rifle barrels. Flames get sucked from thatch
      by Zippos, & a Huey drops a cache
      of bodies in a net--they hurriedly untangle

      & return to scrubbing clothes & feeding pigs.
      Snare drum sticks
      absorb their rattle, billy clubs heal
      foreheads, napalm grafts skin, & Nixon takes back
      everything he said. America starts to feel

      trust & not suspicion, protesters grow younger & become
      ROTC, Eagle Scouts, & twisters at a senior prom.