Re: The Epistle to Rehoboam

  • atumankh
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 1, 2004
      --- In solomonic@yahoogroups.com, Aaron@L... wrote:
      > I would be very interested in comparing the text of the Epistle to
      > Rehoboam with parts of the Key of Solomon- espeically chapter one
      > where Solomon addresses Roboam directly.

      I'd also be interested in comparing it to the Almadel from the
      Lemegeton, since it also deals with the angels of the day and
      indirectly with astral/planetary influences.

      All the best,

      Zadkiel
    • goldtrend
      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 1, 2004
        It's usually poor form to post links in messages, but I'll let Aaron
        decide on this one.

        There is a good article online of the Jewish Encyclopedia on
        Solomon. Near the end of the article is a list of works attributed
        to Solomon, possible provenance of some of them, and indexes of
        versions. There are a couple of library references too.

        http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=894&letter=S

        A Latin version of the epistle of Rehoboam is implied in the index.

        Goldtrend
      • Christopher Scott
        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 1, 2004
          I just started translating the text today, I will post it to this list
          when I have it finished.

          Chris

        • steve10k@phreaker.net
          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 1, 2004
            On 1 Jun 2004 at 20:49, goldtrend wrote:

            > It's usually poor form to post links in messages, but I'll let Aaron
            > decide on this one.

            Gawrsh. I always thought it was excellent form to post useful
            hyperlinks to mailing lists... If the URL is so long that it will
            be destroyed by line-wrapping, you can make a shorter link at

            http://makeashorterlink.com

            Oops, I just posted a hyperlink.

            :o)

            Steve
          • goldtrend
            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 1, 2004
              --- In solomonic@yahoogroups.com, steve10k@p... wrote:
              > On 1 Jun 2004 at 20:49, goldtrend wrote:
              >

              > Gawrsh. I always thought it was excellent form to post useful
              > hyperlinks to mailing lists... If the URL is so long that it will
              > be destroyed by line-wrapping, you can make a shorter link at
              >
              > http://makeashorterlink.com
              >
              > Oops, I just posted a hyperlink.
              >
              > :o)
              >
              > Steve

              Well, sometimes one man's useful link is another man's spam.
              Especially those annoying posts where someone joins a group and
              their group, never to be seen again.

              However, I thought the link was spot on topic. I've been trying to
              find an online version of Johann Albert Fabricius' "Codex
              Pseudepigraphus" without much luck. It looks like there could be
              quite a few gems mixed in the dross of that source.

              Goldtrend
            • goldtrend
              Message 6 of 23 , Jun 1, 2004
                --- In solomonic@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Scott <iacchos@m...>
                wrote:
                > I just started translating the text today, I will post it to this
                list
                > when I have it finished.
                >
                > Chris

                Great! I'm looking forward to reading it. On one hand, I'd like it
                to be 100's of pages long, packed full of obscure knowledge. On the
                other hand, I'm not the guy translating ancient Greek Koine into
                modern english. I'm sure you're hoping it's only about a page and
                half long without too many obscure references. LOL! Good Luck. I
                hope it isn't too onerous.

                Goldtrend
              • Sits by a Computer
                Message 7 of 23 , Jun 1, 2004
                  > > It's usually poor form to post links in messages,
                  > > but I'll let Aaron decide on this one.
                  >
                  > Gawrsh. I always thought it was excellent form to
                  > post useful hyperlinks to mailing lists... If the >
                  URL is so long that it will be destroyed by line-
                  > wrapping, you can make a shorter link at
                  >
                  > http://makeashorterlink.com
                  >
                  > Oops, I just posted a hyperlink.

                  In some cases, it's copyright infringement to paste an
                  entire article; especially if you leave out the link.
                  (which is the most important part) Never heard of a
                  place where link-posting was seen as "bad form"
                  though. Sounds like ridiculous rule to me.

                  ~Nosoul

                  =====
                  a patterner of digital art music
                  http://varia.xepher.net

                  http://messenger.yahoo.com/
                • Aaron@Leitch.net
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jun 1, 2004
                    Great! I can't wait to see it. If you don't mind, we'll put a copy of it in the
                    files section for other academics to access as well. :)

                  • Aaron@Leitch.net
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jun 1, 2004
                      On 1 Jun 2004 at 20:49, goldtrend wrote:

                      > It's usually poor form to post links in messages, but I'll let Aaron
                      > decide on this one.

                      Poor form?? As long as it isn't SPAM for some product or dating service or
                      something- and marginally on topic- post away!

                      And make sure to add really cool links to the group's links section too. :)

                      > There is a good article online of the Jewish Encyclopedia on
                      > Solomon. Near the end of the article is a list of works attributed
                      > to Solomon, possible provenance of some of them, and indexes of
                      > versions. There are a couple of library references too.
                      >
                      > http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=894&letter=S
                      >
                      > A Latin version of the epistle of Rehoboam is implied in the index.

                      Awesome! This link was entirely on-topic. :)

                    • goldtrend
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jun 1, 2004
                        --- In solomonic@yahoogroups.com, Aaron@L... wrote:

                        > Great! I can't wait to see it. If you don't mind, we'll put a
                        copy of it in the
                        > files section for other academics to access as well. :)
                        >
                        > LVX
                        > Aaron
                        >
                        > On 1 Jun 2004 at 13:50, Christopher Scott wrote:

                        Aaron,

                        You have reached a point that all mods dread. There is literally no
                        room in the file section! You need to make tough choices on pruning
                        back, or find an alternative I guess. I know I am looking forward
                        to Chris' translation.

                        Goldtrend
                      • Aaron@Leitch.net
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jun 1, 2004
                          On 2 Jun 2004 at 1:50, goldtrend wrote:

                          > Aaron,
                          >
                          > You have reached a point that all mods dread. There is literally no
                          > room in the file section! You need to make tough choices on pruning
                          > back, or find an alternative I guess. I know I am looking forward
                          > to Chris' translation.

                          Ouch! We've already spun off a sister list due a file-space problems. I
                          thought we'd have a while before this popped up again.

                          I'll have to consider further options...

                        • MOLOCH
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jun 2, 2004
                            In solomonic, "goldtrend" wrote:
                            > --- In solomonic@yahoogroups.com, steve10k@p... wrote:
                            > > On 1 Jun 2004 at 20:49, goldtrend wrote:
                            > >

                            > > Gawrsh. I always thought it was excellent form to post useful
                            > > hyperlinks to mailing lists... If the URL is so long that it
                            will
                            > > be destroyed by line-wrapping, you can make a shorter link at
                            > >
                            > > http://makeashorterlink.com
                            > >
                            > > Oops, I just posted a hyperlink.
                            > >
                            > > :o)
                            > >
                            > > Steve
                            >
                            > Well, sometimes one man's useful link is another man's spam.
                            > Especially those annoying posts where someone joins a group and
                            promoting their group, never to be seen again.<

                            I think you're confusing spam with what one considers useful posting.
                            Just because you list a hyperlink to a site you may feel that others
                            will find on topic and useful does not equate carte blanche to
                            spamming.

                            Moloch
                          • goldtrend
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jun 2, 2004
                              <SNIP>
                              > Ouch! We've already spun off a sister list due a file-space
                              problems. I
                              > thought we'd have a while before this popped up again.
                              >
                              > I'll have to consider further options...
                              >
                              > LVX
                              > Aaron

                              The URL for the sister group is???? I hear the mod here doesn't
                              mind on topic URL's in posts.....LMAO

                              Goldtrend
                            • Aaron@Leitch.net
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jun 2, 2004
                                On 2 Jun 2004 at 13:26, goldtrend wrote:

                                > > Ouch! We've already spun off a sister list due a file-space
                                > problems.
                                > > LVX
                                > > Aaron
                                >
                                > The URL for the sister group is???? I hear the mod here doesn't
                                > mind on topic URL's in posts.....LMAO

                                LOL You got it, man. And if he doesn't like it, I can handle him. ;)

                                AlchemistRoyalAdvisorDrJohnDee
                                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AlchemistRoyalAdvisorDrJohnDee/

                                It was created by two Solomonic members- Noaell and Terri Burns. If I
                                recall correctly, it was Terri who needed space to upload massive
                                documentation about John Dee. Plus, it generated enough non-Solomonic
                                information about Dee and various historical connections that it made quite
                                a mailing list on its own. :)