Almadel

  • spiritist62
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 2, 2008
      Greetings,

      Since the Almadel was brought up in our discussions of The Grimoire
      of Armadel, i was curious if anyone on this list has had any luck
      constructing (much less preserving )the Almadel devices from Beeswax?

      Spiritist62
    • Benjamin Pierce
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 3, 2008
        I have had a question from when I first read about the Almadel in Runyon's
        material: if you build your candles out of the original wax you use to make
        the talimsna, what do you do when you burn the candles down?
        Benjamin

        On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 9:32 AM, spiritist62 <spiritist62@...> wrote:

        > Greetings,
        >
        > Since the Almadel was brought up in our discussions of The Grimoire
        > of Armadel, i was curious if anyone on this list has had any luck
        > constructing (much less preserving )the Almadel devices from Beeswax?
        >
        > Spiritist62

      • Athena
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 4, 2008
          --- In solomonic@yahoogroups.com, "Benjamin Pierce"
          <benjamin.pierce@...> wrote:

          > I have had a question from when I first read about the Almadel in
          Runyon's
          > material: if you build your candles out of the original wax you use
          to make
          > the talimsna, what do you do when you burn the candles down?
          > Benjamin
          >
          > On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 9:32 AM, spiritist62 <spiritist62@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Greetings,
          > >
          > > Since the Almadel was brought up in our discussions of The Grimoire
          > > of Armadel, i was curious if anyone on this list has had any luck
          > > constructing (much less preserving )the Almadel devices from Beeswax?
          > >
          > > Spiritis

          To reply to both posts: Well you have to make 4 of them, and thus 16
          "candles"! I cheated and engraved them into granite instead, granite
          of the four colours :). They did turn out quite pretty. Then there
          wasn't a problem with any candles burning down.

          Now the whole four candles out of the same wax thing, I don't think
          those are supposed to actually be lit? I think they are just to be the
          legs of the tables. Even with the marble design, they likely wouldn't
          burn evenly anyways and you would have a lopsided Almadel.

          Beeswax does preserve well over centuries, well if you don't burn
          candles right next to it or leave it in the sun (or put hot incense
          burners on top of it).

          Anyways, that's my take on the whole matter :).

          Athena
        • Orub Maad
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 7, 2008
            Hello everyone,
              I have a large collection of various ingredients for use in sorceries, one of the niftiest little things I have is a mummified toad, but I recently scoped it out and it has very tiny worm like beetles or mites colonising its body. They also have a fondness for human hair and hair of any sort I suppose. Oh and deer antlers. I have checked taxidermy sites to no avail.
              I would like to id the buggers and find an easy way to get rid of them, thus far I have poured salt to the brim in my box of components, but I don't know if that will work, I don't want to use chemicals due to the nature of the products...
             Any ideas would extremely appreciated,
              AR

          • Orub Maad
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 7, 2008
               Hey there David,
                Have you gone through the Ladder of Lights as instructed in the dread Nec?
              Just curious about your methods, are you going by the book or working from some other type of authority?
                AR

            • Orub Maad
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 7, 2008
                Can someone run a test on any tin talismans they have available and tell me if it is magnetic, I have looked up non magnetic metals and I can find no info on tin...much appreciated, thanks again
                  AR

              • Colin Low
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 9, 2008
                  These might well be carpet beetles, which have evolved to render down
                  feathers, hair etc, but also do a very good job on anything woollen,
                  including jumpers, suits, tweed, Hermes silk scarves, Halloween/carnival
                  masks (and carpets) etc etc etc.

                  There is plenty of info on the WWW. The adult form can fly and find its way
                  into your wardrobe ;-)

                  Colin

                  On 9/8/08, Orub Maad <orub_maad@...> wrote:

                  > Hello everyone,
                  > I have a large collection of various ingredients for use in sorceries,
                  > one of the niftiest little things I have is a mummified toad, but I recently
                  > scoped it out and it has very tiny worm like beetles or mites colonising its
                  > body. They also have a fondness for human hair and hair of any sort I
                  > suppose. Oh and deer antlers. I have checked taxidermy sites to no avail.
                  > I would like to id the buggers and find an easy way to get rid of them,
                  > thus far I have poured salt to the brim in my box of components, but I don't
                  > know if that will work, I don't want to use chemicals due to the nature of
                  > the products...
                  > Any ideas would extremely appreciated,
                  > AR

                • Jenny Sargent
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 9, 2008
                    sprinkle iron sand around it see if it falls into patterns sprinkle it on the talisman then a magnet to see what the patterns look like.

                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 9, 2008
                      Much appreciated, I'll have to check into that.

                    • Mike Rock
                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 9, 2008
                        On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 8:30 PM, Orub Maad <orub_maad@...> wrote:
                        > Can someone run a test on any tin talismans they have available and tell me if it is magnetic, I have looked up non magnetic metals and I can find no info on tin...much appreciated, thanks again
                        > AR

                        Real Tin (Sn) is not magnetic. Only ferrous metals are.

                        mike

                        --
                        http://www.mike-rock.com
                      • Modrocus
                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 9, 2008
                          Hello Orub Maad,

                          No test is required. Tin is not magnetic.

                          In LVX,
                          Modrocus

                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 9, 2008
                            Thanks Modrocus, back to the drawing board, I went to a craft store trying to find tin for a jovial talisman and discovered...NOTHING! However I was discussing the problem with my mother and we are headed to the country for the molasses festival in the next2 weeks, and on our aunts property out there is a pile of tin as big as a collapsed barn. Imagine that. So anyone that needs some tin and might beinterested in bartering supplies. Conttact me, I'm bringing back a lot of tin. ALOT.
                              AR

                            Message 13 of 21 , Sep 9, 2008
                              What you don't use  can be sold for scrap metal. Tin brings a good price.

                              From: Modrocus <modrocus@yahoo. com>

                              To: solomonic@yahoogrou ps.com

                              From: Orub Maad <orub_maad@yahoo. com>

                              To: solomonic@yahoogrou ps.com

                              Date: Sunday, September 7, 2008, 9:30 PM

                              Message 14 of 21 , Sep 9, 2008
                                On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 10:31 AM, Orub Maad <orub_maad@...> wrote:
                                > Thanks Modrocus, back to the drawing board, I went to a craft store trying to find tin for a jovial talisman and discovered...NOTHING! However I was discussing the problem with my mother and we are headed to the country for the molasses festival in the next2 weeks, and on our aunts property out there is a pile of tin as big as a collapsed barn. Imagine that. So anyone that needs some tin and might beinterested in bartering supplies. Conttact me, I'm bringing back a lot of tin. ALOT.
                                > AR

                                Keep in mind that a "tin roof" is actually galvanized steel..

                                mike

                                --
                                http://www.mike-rock.com
                              • David Stolowitz
                                Message 15 of 21 , Sep 9, 2008
                                  Hey Adam - good to see you active on the board again.

                                  I have gone up the ladder of lights, but not necessarily through the
                                  Nec's methods, although it has informed a lot of my workings and
                                  understanding. One of my personal goals as a magician is to do my best
                                  to integrate all the works and myths I find for a holistic cosmology
                                  and practical magic that is not limited in scope or application. The
                                  "walking of the gates" in the Necronomicon is Ascension - planetary
                                  initiation and beyond, which is at the heart of western magic. The Nec
                                  just goes about it through a very left-hand and saturnine flavor, by
                                  means of the Mesopotamian pantheon and Lovecraft's mythology.

                                  I got my first copy of the Necronomicon back when I was working on my
                                  Minor Adept degree, but I didn't really get very interested and into
                                  it again until I got to the Magister Templi level. Part of this is
                                  because, as I said above, its a very saturnine mythos (with strong
                                  venereal undercurrents), and that's both why it attracted me at that
                                  stage and why it proved to have a lot of useful insight. The whole
                                  story of the Mad Arab is, to me, a story about dealing with the impact
                                  and implications of awakening. In fact, White Wolf's game "Mage: The
                                  Awakening" covers the same storyline and lessons, and I discovered it
                                  about the time I really started rediscovering the Necronomicon. Dark
                                  Fantasy, black humor, and bitter wisdom (Sophia Nigrans/Black Madonna)
                                  are under Saturn & Binah's domain, and a huge part of the degree is
                                  studying theodicy and the nature of pain and suffering in the world.
                                  You have to both completely acknowledge it truthfully while
                                  simultaneously being able to move beyond it. You can't be a naive
                                  "pollyanna", nor can you be a raven of doom and gloom. You have to
                                  realize your true nature and your powerful role in things.

                                  In the book, the Mad Arab is freaking out because he fears that his
                                  end is nigh. He's had the audacity to seek to go beyond the realm of
                                  his "elders", the planets, into the sphere of the Watchers - the
                                  "fixed" stars, Wisdom, and the zodiac. But no one can cross that abyss
                                  without death and resurrection, ala the Ritual of Descent that echoes
                                  Innana's own story and which is done in tandem with the gate of
                                  Saturn. Even as he's retracing his initiatory steps for the reader to
                                  follow along, he's realizing that his former dogma and dichotomy - the
                                  sharp line of good vs. evil he's drawn between the elder gods and the
                                  ancient ones - is turning out to be more and more arbitrary. The
                                  Urillia text, which follows Innana's resurrection in the Magan text,
                                  deals both with the worst of Lovecraft's bunch as well as the spirits
                                  of the stars and constellations, which he depicts untruthfully as very
                                  terrible monsters.

                                  The mad arab has all these frantic warnings about the terrible things
                                  that will befall you if you "leave the gates to the outside" open for
                                  one second too long. What's he really afraid of is what lies outside
                                  of his own understanding, his own traditions, and the personal
                                  identity he's crafted for himself. The demons that are breaking
                                  through his barriers are coming to rip him apart, its true; but they
                                  are also coming to put him back together again, in classical shamanic
                                  initiation. "Indeed," he says, "only one is who is called mad, such as
                                  myself, can hope to understand and have power over those that lie
                                  beyond the gates". So in that respect, "they're coming to take you
                                  away, to the funny farm, where things are wonderful all the time" :D

                                  My methods draw from the book but they aren't limited by the paranoid
                                  rules in it, which may well have just been designed as code or blinds
                                  anyways. I've been writing back and forth with Warlock Asylum on his
                                  blog, and we are both in agreement that the farther one goes along the
                                  path, the more one has to integrate "the dark side" with the light and
                                  cease to see the two as seperate - cease to perceive things through
                                  the lens of sin, to use Christian terminology. Sex magic seems to be
                                  intimately related to this, and many of the Lovecraftian entities can
                                  be seen as embodiments and/or aspects of the kundalini serpent and the
                                  unconscious forces of nature.

                                  When you get this far, you tend to become your own authority, and you
                                  can draw intuition and inspiration from anywhere.

                                  David
                                • Rufus Opus
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Sep 9, 2008
                                    Personally, I think Simon's _Necronomicon_ is to Solomonic magic what Tom Wolfe's _Electic Kool-Aid Acid Test_ was to Ken Kesey.

                                    I sit with the elders of a generation this world has seldom seen
                                    "Omnis tui castrum es proprietas ad nobis."

                                    Fr. Rufus Opus
                                    FrRufusOpus@...
                                    http://headforred.blogspot.com
                                    www.rufusopus.com

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Sep 10, 2008
                                      On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 6:06 PM, David Stolowitz
                                      <optimystic@...> wrote:
                                      **snip**
                                      > The mad arab has all these frantic warnings about the terrible things
                                      > that will befall you if you "leave the gates to the outside" open for
                                      > one second too long. What's he really afraid of is what lies outside
                                      > of his own understanding, his own traditions, and the personal
                                      > identity he's crafted for himself. The demons that are breaking
                                      > through his barriers are coming to rip him apart, its true; but they
                                      > are also coming to put him back together again, in classical shamanic
                                      > initiation. "Indeed," he says, "only one is who is called mad, such as
                                      > myself, can hope to understand and have power over those that lie
                                      > beyond the gates". So in that respect, "they're coming to take you
                                      > away, to the funny farm, where things are wonderful all the time" :D
                                      >
                                      > My methods draw from the book but they aren't limited by the paranoid
                                      > rules in it, which may well have just been designed as code or blinds
                                      > anyways.

                                      1. The "Mad Arab" is a fictional character.

                                      2. The "paranoid rules" are a work of FICTION inspired by Lovecraft's FICTION.

                                      "When you get this far, you tend to become your own authority, and you
                                      can draw intuition and inspiration from anywhere."

                                      I'd suggest - YMMV - considering God's authority for a bit and learn
                                      some humility? Just suggestin'...

                                      http://headforred.blogspot.com/2007/02/1_11.html

                                      If you are only looking into mirrors facing mirrors.. and only see
                                      yourself.. the danger is very real.

                                      Break the glass. What is seen then?

                                      Leap off that Saturnian mountain peak and your bodymind will become
                                      the ten directions among the thousand stars.

                                      Even Satan is God's servant, he hasn't given up that post, make no mistake.

                                      mike

                                      --
                                      http://www.mike-rock.com
                                    • Be polite, ask.
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Oct 14, 2008
                                        Hello all,
                                        I don't think I've ever post on here, but found a question I would love
                                        answered. The question is about the Almadel. I constructed all four of
                                        them (one white, the others colored). I followed all the guide lines in
                                        the book. I just haven't been able to use them. Right now I am camping
                                        in a hospital in southern Ca. (what can I say other than life can
                                        really suck). I wanted to know what results others have obtained from
                                        the use of the Almadel.

                                        Christopher
                                      • Orub Maad
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Oct 16, 2008
                                          Do you mean you are actually camping with a tent or are you laid up with health issues?

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Oct 17, 2008
                                            Sleeping in their waiting room. My nephiew was born with health
                                            problems. So I always come with him when he is in the hospital.

                                            --- In solomonic@yahoogroups.com, Orub Maad <orub_maad@...> wrote:

                                            Do you mean you are actually camping with a tent or are you laid up
                                            with health issues?
                                          • genepaulson
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Oct 30, 2008
                                              --- In solomonic@yahoogroups.com, Orub Maad <orub_maad@...> wrote:

                                              > Do you mean you are actually camping with a tent or are you laid up
                                              with health issues?

                                              lesser. If you go thought that you could do it also if you learn the
                                              carpet experiment which is to ask the intellegents they would teach
                                              you your errors and any secert to it.