Re: Solomon Pentacle Error?

  • Mr. Thomas Parker
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2006
      I suspect that they're all hopelessly corrupt. I've always thought
      that some examples suggest a Greek inscription in the center; the
      "Xpus" could be chi + ro + upsilon + sigma ... but who knows? It's
      interesting.

      --- In solomonic@yahoogroups.com, "wgungfu" <wgungfu@...> wrote:

      > Just polling regarding people's experience with the layout of the
      > central area of the Pentacle of Solomon.
      > What is everyone's opinion here as to which one they follow and why?
    • Aa H
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2006
        I have never seen a pentacle of solomon with Xpus in the center. Are you
        refering to The hexagram of solomon in the Heptameron? I know that one has
        that word in the center..

        >From: "Mr. Thomas Parker" <james.banner@...>
        >To: solomonic@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [Solomonic] Re: Solomon Pentacle Error?
        >Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 08:11:28 -0000
        >
        >I suspect that they're all hopelessly corrupt. I've always thought
        >that some examples suggest a Greek inscription in the center; the
        >"Xpus" could be chi + ro + upsilon + sigma ... but who knows? It's
        >interesting.
        >
        >--- In solomonic@yahoogroups.com, "wgungfu" <wgungfu@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Just polling regarding people's experience with the layout of the
        > > central area of the Pentacle of Solomon.
        > > What is everyone's opinion here as to which one they follow and why?

      • wgungfu
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 2, 2006
          "Aa H":

          That is used as the pentacle of solomon, unless you're confusing
          pentacle = pentagram? Pentacle is simply an amulet, and does not
          denote the shape of the contents (i.e. the pentacle of solomon does
          indeed have a hexagram on it). As in Peter de Abano's Heptameron
          (which is where some of the image links in my previous message came from):

          http://www.esotericarchives.com/solomon/heptamer.htm

          "Then take this Pentacle made in the day....."

          Thomas:

          Regarding greek, that is interesting thing regarding all the different
          formations. On further research, Pus (with the line above the u,
          which would explain the line above the word that is alternately small
          or long depending on the source version) is a latin word for
          "designation of a malicious person":

          http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.04.0059%3Aentry%3D%2339660

          This would seem appropriate for the context (and useage) of this pentacle.

          As I stated previously, I believe the E is a complete misstranslation
          and is actually the sigil shown in some of the previously refered to
          links (and in Peter de Abano's above).

          That leaves us with "X". Which in the "incorrect" Expus version is
          lower case, and in the Peter de Abano version is capitalized, and in
          still others is completely seperated from the word "pus" and tilted
          (which may denote another sigil -
          http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Agora/8933/pictures/cerem/honcircle.gif).

          Interestingly, the hebrew version also displayed on the Abano page
          simply has the sigil and removes "X" and "pus".

          Mordecai Shia

          --- In solomonic@yahoogroups.com, "Aa H" <enigmius93@...> wrote:

          > I have never seen a pentacle of solomon with Xpus in the center. Are
          you
          > refering to The hexagram of solomon in the Heptameron? I know that
          one has
          > that word in the center..
          >

          > >From: "Mr. Thomas Parker" <james.banner@...>
          > >To: solomonic@yahoogroups.com
          > >Subject: [Solomonic] Re: Solomon Pentacle Error?
          > >Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 08:11:28 -0000
          > >
          > >I suspect that they're all hopelessly corrupt. I've always thought
          > >that some examples suggest a Greek inscription in the center; the
          > >"Xpus" could be chi + ro + upsilon + sigma ... but who knows? It's
          > >interesting.
          > >
          > >--- In solomonic@yahoogroups.com, "wgungfu" <wgungfu@> wrote:
          > >
          > > > Just polling regarding people's experience with the layout of the
          > > > central area of the Pentacle of Solomon.
          > > > What is everyone's opinion here as to which one they follow and why?

          > Stay in touch with old friends and meet new ones with Windows Live
          Spaces

        • Joseph Peterson
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 3, 2006
            I think this is a reasonable explanation. If I saw this in a Latin
            text I would almost certainly read it as Christus from Greek xristou.
            See http://www.hist.msu.ru/Departments/Medieval/Cappelli/CPLLI402.HTM
            for very similar abbreviations.

            --- In solomonic@yahoogroups.com, "Mr. Thomas Parker"

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 5, 2006
              Hi Joseph, thanks for taking the time to respond. Let me just say
              first of all, thanks for providing the various resources available at
              your site (including the ones I have been giving links to in this
              conversation).

              --- In solomonic@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph Peterson" <joe@...> wrote:

              > I think this is a reasonable explanation. If I saw this in a Latin
              > text I would almost certainly read it as Christus from Greek xristou.
              > See http://www.hist.msu.ru/Departments/Medieval/Cappelli/CPLLI402.HTM
              > for very similar abbreviations.

              That is very interesting. Playing devil's advocate (no pun intended),
              is it possible that the term Xpus (and later Expus) in this pentacle
              could have evolved to fit within these parameters? I just find the
              existance of the X seperated and tilted like the left most sigil,
              combined with the fact that "pus" on its own is a a latin word for
              "designation of a malicious person", to be to intriguing a connection.

              Mordecai Shia
            • wgungfu
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 5, 2006
                I should add, Expus as a full word is Romanian for "On Display" or
                "open" (as in to display to the "world"). Another intriguing
                connection, since it is describing what you do with this pentacle.

                Mordecai Shia
              • Logan or James?
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 5, 2007
                  These are observations I've made as well.
                  I dont know wether the difference in the seals would cause an
                  adverse effect or not.

                  --- In solomonic@yahoogroups.com, "wgungfu" <wgungfu@...> wrote:

                  > Just polling regarding people's experience with the layout of the
                  > central area of the Pentacle of Solomon.
                  >
                  > I've run across severael different medival grimoires that display
                  the
                  > central name differently. Some do it with two sigils and the
                  letters
                  > pus (though will rotate the sigils differently):

                  http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Agora/8933/pictures/cerem/honcircle.g
                  if
                  > http://www.esotericarchives.com/gifs/heptam1l.gif
                  >
                  > Some seperate and do a sigil, a seperate letter X, and the seperate
                  > letters pus:
                  >
                  > http://www.esotericarchives.com/gifs/gh2.gif
                  >
                  > Some have the sigil, and then xpus:
                  >
                  > http://www.esotericarchives.com/gifs/heptam1.gif
                  >
                  > I've seen another that (in my opinion) missproduces it and treats
                  the
                  > sigils as the letter E and X, and combines them all to form the
                  word
                  > Expus. This seems to be the one that is being used by a lot of the
                  > massproduced amulets, such as:
                  > http://www.universoul-
                  llc.com/ProductImages/small_vendors/puzzlerings/j-
                  q/pentacleofsolomonfront50.jpg