wand/staff common and scientific names

  • Jaime
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2006
      In looking for the wand (hazel,nut) or staff (cane, elderwood,
      rosewood) of the Key of Solomon, do we go for the common name or
      scientific name?

      I'm cross-checking hazel, nut, cane, elderwood and rosewood if they are
      grown in the Philippines.

      Just to be sure that I will get the specific trees mentioned in the
      Key (I'm trying to be as literal/traditional as possible), I checked
      for their common and scientific names. Well, the "nut tree" search at
      arborday.org yielded 7 different trees: From butternut, chestnut etc.
      to Walnut. I'm pretty sure that if I approach the local environmental
      authorities here, that number will increase because the Philippines
      also have nut trees that are not available in Europe or US.

      Granted that the grimoires or "shamans" connect to their local
      environment does this mean that I'm better off searching for local
      trees that have the same common name in the grimoires?

      thanks
    • + Kempis
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2006
        Hi Jaime;

        > In looking for the wand (hazel,nut) or staff (cane,
        > elderwood, rosewood) of the Key of Solomon, do we go
        > for the common name or scientific name?

        Hazel in the grioires is (I think) Corylus avellana.

        Wikipedia on Hazel
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hazelnut

        When you find the scientific names for other items
        mentioned in the grimoires, please share.

        > Granted that the grimoires or "shamans" connect to
        > their local environment does this mean that I'm
        > better off searching for local trees that have the
        > same common name in the grimoires?

        I suggest against this. Hazel is used as a Mercurial
        tool in the grimoires because hazel was previously a
        tree sacred to Mercury and Hermes. Hermes had the
        function of being a psychopomp, so I believe the wand
        in the Key of Solomon is related to this function.

        If you were to use a tool derived from local
        tradition, try to find one that serves the same
        function. It needs to be something that an emissary
        between the living and the dead would use as a symbol
        of office.

        I try to use tools from my native environment rather
        than import them from Europe, but always trying to
        keep with the spirit of the work.

        +

        http://mail.yahoo.com