Demonographia, few copies available.

  • Aaron
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2006
      Greetings!

      I just got thie in my in-box today. I thought you folks might like to
      see it: -Aaron

      -------------------------
      From Ars Obscura Bookbinding <arsobscura@...>
      Sent Tuesday, August 1, 2006 0:11 am
      To joel@...
      Cc
      Bcc
      Subject Demonographia, few copies available.
      Attachments
      Demonographia.jpg 102K

      Greetings,

      I?m contacting you at this time so as to inform of two items.

      Initially, there has been a change in my email address as of late, so
      please update your access to me to: joel@...

      Also, as the original bookbinder for the title Demonographia, I?m
      pleased to announce the availability of a handful of the mint leather
      bound copies. This title has been quite sought after as of late. So,
      as to give equal access to all, I?ve opted to make them available via
      eBay.

      This week?s copy of this book is at this address:
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=008&item=180013476335&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

      My seller ID is: arsobscura -to see what else we have at this time.

      I?ve attached a jpg., should this title be new to you, as well as the
      excerpt from the original ad copy

      DEMONOGRAPHIA

      The Fountainhead of Diabolic Portraiture

      For the first time ever we are proud to present the complete
      collection of these classic illustrations. Depicted herein are the
      Infernal Kings and servitors mention in the work the Lesser Key of
      Solomon and akin literature. The descriptions of the demons have been
      translated from the original French by Prudence Priest; presented
      herein in English for the first time.

      ?It is only in the very middle of the nineteenth century that we
      definitely hit on the form assumed by the principal demons when they
      are evoked. A curious writer, Jacques Collin de Plancy, issued the
      sixth and definitive edition of his Dictionnaire Infernal (published
      by Plon) in 1863. According to the title-page, this work contains
      ?portraits of 72 demons drawn by Monsieur L. Breton, after precise
      originals.? ?Grillot de Givry, ?The Illustrated Anthology of Sorcery,
      Magic and Alchemy?

      Published by Trident Books, 1999. Available in a full black kidskin
      leather binding with an inlaid sculpted image of the Baphomet Goat on
      the front cover designed by Harold McNeill. Gold-stamped on both the
      spine and the front cover. Raised bands on the spine. Marbled
      endpapers, bookmark silk ribbon and the edges are stained black. This
      book comes with a slipcase that is customized in contouring,
      thumb-knotched and is wrapped in black book cloth.

      First Edition, 8 ½ x 5 ½ , pp. xvi, 94 pgs., ISBN: 1-879000-12-1.
      Limited to an edition of 1,000 copies.

      If this is not your cup of tea, please feel free to forward it to
      someone whom you feel may be interested.

      Thank you,

      Joel Radcliffe
      ARS OBSCURA Bookbinding, Inc.
      214 First Ave. S. #B-11
      Seattle, WA. 98104
      206-340-8810
      www.arsobscurabookbinding.com
    • Quaero Lux
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2006
        Yeah I go this too, but $400 starting bid is freaking insane.

        -QL

        On Aug 1, 2006, at 10:52 AM, Aaron wrote:

        > Greetings!
        >
        > I just got thie in my in-box today. I thought you folks might like to
        > see it: -Aaron
        >

        > -------------------------
        > From Ars Obscura Bookbinding <arsobscura@...>
        > Sent Tuesday, August 1, 2006 0:11 am
        > To joel@...
        > Cc
        > Bcc
        > Subject Demonographia, few copies available.
        > Attachments
        > Demonographia.jpg 102K
        >
        > Greetings,
        >
        > I?m contacting you at this time so as to inform of two items.
        >
        > Initially, there has been a change in my email address as of late, so
        > please update your access to me to: joel@...
        >
        > Also, as the original bookbinder for the title Demonographia, I?m
        > pleased to announce the availability of a handful of the mint leather
        > bound copies. This title has been quite sought after as of late. So,
        > as to give equal access to all, I?ve opted to make them available via
        > eBay.
        >
        > This week?s copy of this book is at this address:
        > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
        > ViewItem&ih=008&item=180013476335&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%
        > 3AIT&rd=1
        >
        > My seller ID is: arsobscura -to see what else we have at this time.
        >
        > I?ve attached a jpg., should this title be new to you, as well as the
        > excerpt from the original ad copy

      • MOLOCH
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 2, 2006
          In solomonic, Quaero Lux wrote:

          >Yeah I go this too, but $400 starting bid is freaking insane. -QL<

          Insanity is relative especially where collectibles are concerned. A
          dear friend of mine enjoys spending his spare time collecting the 12"
          action figures of the old Hasbro G. I. Joe from the early 1960's to
          late 1970's when they were phased out.

          He told me that many of the reissues from the 1990's of this action
          figure are worth MORE than the originals! That's like saying that a
          reissue of Superman number 1 is worth more than the original. lol

          But remember this about books and grimoires, those who spend the money
          on them value them at the price they paid for it regardless of how we
          ourselves feel about the money they paid.

          Prior to the Internet, I met an older gent at a Pagan gathering in
          Tampa. When I related how I was faring with a particular group of
          spell workings, & he asked from which book they came, he offered me
          $100 for my personal copy of Geoff Cobb-Gray's _New Avatar Power_.
          Why? He used that book when he was a teenager and said even though he
          had success with using it, he thought it was one of those coincicdence
          things. He threw it away along with several other such books and went
          on into adulthood. Later when he found Paganism and MagicK, he wanted
          to find another copy of that book. I had copied out of it into my own
          journal what I wanted of it so I sold it to him.

          Prior to the Net, it was expensive to invoke the aid of Bibliophile
          shops to help you find a particular book. (I paid $20 just to have a
          shop do a search) Now you got to Amazon, Abe Books or some similar place.

          $400 isn't all that much considering what we all waste on things we
          don't really want or need anyway. But for that kind of money, the book
          is a true collector's item.

          Cordially,
          Moloch
          'Real Sorcery 24/7'
          http://www.molochso rcery.com
        • Quaero Lux
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 2, 2006
            On Aug 2, 2006, at 1:56 PM, MOLOCH wrote:

            > In solomonic, Quaero Lux wrote:
            >
            >> Yeah I go this too, but $400 starting bid is freaking insane. -QL<
            > <snip>
            > $400 isn't all that much considering what we all waste on things we
            > don't really want or need anyway. But for that kind of money, the book
            > is a true collector's item.

            Wow, he's got a bidder. I love Trident's volumes, and they definitely
            are true collector's items, I just didn't expect to see it go for
            that much, considering they were still available not too terribly
            long ago. Gives me hopes to see the value of my collection go up over
            time...

            I also agree with you that value is a relative term.

            Seeing this also makes me seriously consider following up my thoughts
            of picking up the leather bound Trident and Ouroboros volumes I don't
            have yet that are still in print ;-)
            --------
            - Quaero Lux
            - quaerolux@...
            - http://www.ogdoadicmagick.net

          • rowanwood_witch
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 2, 2006
              Hi All
              I am new to the group and am enjoying all you have to offer
              I also sell on e-Bay and price becomes irrelevant if one wants something

              About this Book I don't know if the publisher bound the books this way or if the seller had it done? this point is a little vague
              But regardless I feel that the upside down pentacle and even the Baphomet would not be authentic stile of a Solomon cover
              It looks more to the liking of the church of Satan started by Anton LaVey

              Just my thoughts
              Rowan

              Quaero Lux <quaerolux@...> wrote:

              On Aug 2, 2006, at 1:56 PM, MOLOCH wrote:

              > In solomonic, Quaero Lux wrote:
              >
              >> Yeah I go this too, but $400 starting bid is freaking insane. -QL<
              > <snip>
              > $400 isn't all that much considering what we all waste on things we
              > don't really want or need anyway. But for that kind of money, the book
              > is a true collector's item.

              Wow, he's got a bidder. I love Trident's volumes, and they definitely
              are true collector's items, I just didn't expect to see it go for
              that much, considering they were still available not too terribly
              long ago. Gives me hopes to see the value of my collection go up over
              time...

              I also agree with you that value is a relative term.

              Seeing this also makes me seriously consider following up my thoughts
              of picking up the leather bound Trident and Ouroboros volumes I don't
              have yet that are still in print ;-)
              --------
              - Quaero Lux
              - quaerolux@...
              - http://www.ogdoadicmagick.net

              Dragon Master

            • Quaero Lux
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 3, 2006
                On Aug 2, 2006, at 5:01 PM, rowanwood_witch wrote:

                > Hi All
                > I am new to the group and am enjoying all you have to offer
                > I also sell on e-Bay and price becomes irrelevant if one wants
                > something
                >
                > About this Book I don't know if the publisher bound the books
                > this way or if the seller had it done? this point is a little vague
                > But regardless I feel that the upside down pentacle and even the
                > Baphomet would not be authentic stile of a Solomon cover
                > It looks more to the liking of the church of Satan started by
                > Anton LaVey

                It's the Trident press edition from 1999, the binding was that way
                from the publisher. Actually, if I'm not mistaken Ars Obscura does
                all of the binding for Trident's books.
                --------
                - Quaero Lux
                - quaerolux@...
                - http://www.ogdoadicmagick.net

              • Mr. Thomas Parker
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 22, 2006
                  > It's the Trident press edition from 1999, the binding was that way
                  > from the publisher. Actually, if I'm not mistaken Ars Obscura does
                  > all of the binding for Trident's books.

                  You are mistaken. Ars Obscura stopped binding for Trident Books just
                  after Demonographia was published, 6-7 years ago.