Re: [Solomonic] Re: Spirit Familiars

  • jake stratton-kent
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 2005
      Thelema Aaron,

      ;-) great stuff you old sorcerer, knew we had more in common than it
      looked! ;-)

      --- In solomonic@yahoogroups.com, "Nightshade" <oipteaapdoce@g...>
      wrote:

      > > Finally, I would put together a simple yet decorative altar.
      More
      > > like a shelf, really- decorated in sympathy with the spirit
      you've
      > > summoned. Keep the brass vessel there, and you've got a solid
      > > familiar. Remember to feed it!
      >
      > How on earth do you feed the spirit if you just locked it into a
      > brass vessel? Is the technique you described for locking them in,
      > or more one where they can come and go freely?

      The latter, of course. :) You can't really "lock" an entity into
      anything. (They are non-physical, after all.) But you can bind
      them to something physical, and give them a solid foundation from
      which to work. (I figure this is why our friend was only allowed to
      keep his familiars for about a week at a time. There was no
      physical base, and so the Rite had to be performed on a weekly basis
      to renew the familiars' strength.)

      Basically, the Brass Vessel is a Solomonic Prenda. (I got a lot of
      the ingredients for the Brass Vessel from Palo. I consider the
      metal seal of the spirit to be the "sacred object" that actually
      houses the spirit's essense. The other ingredients are all
      sympathetic natural magick.)

      I would figure they
      > would need to come and go to protect you? Btw, what sorts of
      things
      > do you feed them? I have noticed that strawberries are really
      > popular around my house LOL. Long story about how this came to
      be,
      > but it is now a reward fave!

      Black candles would be a start. Or candles of the color appropriate
      to the planet that rules the spirit. Same for incense. You can
      offer them various food items. If you were into Santeria or Palo
      (or *really* traditional Solomonic work), you might feed it black
      chickens. Otherwise, use divination with the spirit to ask it what
      to feed it... :)

      "Secrets of the Magickal Grimoires" is now available! Let me know what you
      think.
      http://kheph777.tripod.com/indexsecrets.html

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      Visit your group "solomonic" on the web.

    • Aaron
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 1, 2005
        Subject: Re: the conjuration of the brass vessel

        --- In evocationalmagics@yahoogroups.com, "vorcirith93"
        <vorcirith93@y...> wrote:

        > My Mathers/Crowley version doesn't have that. Where can I find it?

        Greetings!

        The conjuration is found in the fifth book- the "Ars Nova." (Part
        of the Ars Nova is included in the Mathers/Crowley version-
        called "An Explanation of Some of the Names...")

        Most people mistakenly believe that the Notary Arts is the proper
        fifth book of the Lemegeton. This is because one of the books in
        the Notary Arts is called the "Ars Nova"- and (IIRC) it contains
        prayers of consecration. The compiler of the Goetia, then, put
        several necessary consecration prayers for the Goetia (for the
        Circle, the Pentagram and Hexagram, etc, etc) into the fifth book
        and called it the Ars Nova after the original one.

        What I call the "Conjuration of the Brass Vessel" follows:

        First, there is a list of Divine Names:

        ---------------------------

        Jodgea Rosen Emolack Roson Subbartha
        Roson Eloham Skimoy Abomoth Rosen Elemoth
        Zadon Behoma Reson Gamaliall Mackhamasmack
        Baseh Zadon Hinmore Molock Ehaddon
        Molack Johiron & Michael
        -----------------------------

        Then follows the Conjuration - but with the above names mixed into
        it. I think the scribe of this MS intended to write the Conjuration
        in the same manner as the other prayers in the Ars Nova. That is,
        he probably meant to write the names *alongside* the prayer, and did
        not intend for us to pronounce them.

        In the below Conjuration, I have re-formatted it to resemble the
        rest of the Ars Nova. I've placed the Divine Names that were mixed
        into the Conjuration over on the side, and marked them off with **.

        -----------------------------
        *Jodgea*, I humbly implore thee
        *Rosen Emolack* thou everlasting god
        *Roson Subbartha* thou omnipotent & everlasting Creator
        *Roson Eloham* thou god with us
        *Skimoy Abomoth* to bind & keep fast
        *Rosen Elemoth Mackhamasmack* by thy divine power those evil & airy
        spirits
        *Baseh Zadon* of the spirit of flyes & spirit of the air
        *Hinnon* & spirit of Hinnon
        *Molock Ehaddon* with all the spirits of hidden treasure & the
        disturbers of mankind
        *Molack* with the spirits of Molack
        *Johinnon* in chains in thy brazen urn
        *Michael* with thy Arch Angel Michael.....

        ---------------------------

        > Do you ever take the Vessel of Brass off the Shelf and formaly
        evoke
        > that spirit again or is it different?

        No need to do the formal evocation again. The spirit is there for
        good. All you have to do is walk up to it and start working with it.

        > Feed it? you mean like offerings of incense and rum on his shelf?
        > What about fresh fruit? Do you eat the fruit after leaving it on
        the
        > alter for a period of time?

        Rum, candles, incense, food, etc, etc. I never eat food after
        leaving it on an Altar for any length of time. I take it outside as
        a kind of libation.

        > I'm assuming the Seal of the spirit would need a good astrological
        > election.

        Not necessary according to the Goetia - but it couldn't hurt. At
        least make sure the Planet in question has no negative aspects at
        the time you make the Seal.

        > I'm actually pretty excited about this. A brass jar with a screw on
        > lid would be ideal, but I've never seen one. This could take a
        while.
        > Any suggestions?

        Not really. I have a fairly standard Brass Vessel at home (though
        it's not being used).

        > Choosing a spirit might take a while. I suppose I should consult my
        > I-Ching and take notes. I should just plunge in and start doing
        > Goetic work again.

        Have fun! :)

      • Nightshade
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 1, 2005
          --- In solomonic@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron" <Aaron@L...> wrote:
          > The latter, of course. :) You can't really "lock" an entity into
          > anything. (They are non-physical, after all.) But you can bind
          > them to something physical, and give them a solid foundation from
          > which to work.

          So with the Djinn folks put in vessels they can come and go?

          > Basically, the Brass Vessel is a Solomonic Prenda. (I got a lot
          of
          > the ingredients for the Brass Vessel from Palo. I consider the
          > metal seal of the spirit to be the "sacred object" that actually
          > houses the spirit's essense. The other ingredients are all
          > sympathetic natural magick.)

          Interesting :)

          > Black candles would be a start. Or candles of the color
          appropriate
          > to the planet that rules the spirit. Same for incense. You can
          > offer them various food items. If you were into Santeria or Palo
          > (or *really* traditional Solomonic work), you might feed it black
          > chickens. Otherwise, use divination with the spirit to ask it
          what
          > to feed it... :)
          >
          > LVX
          > Aaron

          Chickens for offerings, how does that work logistically indoors?
          Anwyas, looks like we do a lot of the same things, just in slightly
          different ways (I don't have any brass vessels in my temple).

          Athena
          www.nightshademagic.com
        • Aaron
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 1, 2005
            --- In solomonic@yahoogroups.com, "Nightshade" <oipteaapdoce@g...> wrote:

            > --- In solomonic@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron" <Aaron@L...> wrote:
            > > The latter, of course. :) You can't really "lock" an entity into
            > > anything. (They are non-physical, after all.) But you can bind
            > > them to something physical, and give them a solid foundation from
            > > which to work.
            >
            > So with the Djinn folks put in vessels they can come and go?

            Absolutely. The vessel is like a talisman, ring, statue or other
            physical base fashioned to house a spirit. The spirit is bound to the
            physical base like your own spirit is bound to your body.

            If you are not working with the spirit, then it will go dormant in the
            vessel. However, that is not at all like what you saw on "I Dream of
            Jeanie" when someone would cap Jeanie in her bottle. :)

            > Chickens for offerings, how does that work logistically indoors?

            The only ritual sacrifice I've ever witnessed was the feeding of a
            Prenda, and it was done in a kitchen. It really wasn't that messy a
            process, all things considered.

            > Anwyas, looks like we do a lot of the same things, just in slightly
            > different ways (I don't have any brass vessels in my temple).

            Well, as I said in another post, the only brass vessel I have (which
            I'm keeping around in case I want to put together my own Solomonic
            vessel) is not currently in use. My knowledge on this matter comes
            from Palo- since we do have a Prenda here in the house, though it
            isn't mine. My familiars are via Abramelin.

          • JM
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 7, 2005
              hi Athena,

              wrote:
              > Chickens for offerings, how does that work logistically indoors?

              well, as Aaron mentioned, it doesnt have to be a mess, not at all.
              The first chicken i killed was for the salomon´s seal -Goetia-
              painted with the blood; i was quite nervous and my election of knife,
              now i know, was a very bad one. As i have been working Palo my
              profficency has done much much better as to kill swiftly the animal.
              There are several way, from tearing very swiftly the head with the
              hand to feed the Prenda (some paleros tear it with the mouth...) or
              you put the knife inside the neck traspassing it and with the blade
              directing the fall of the blood, but here you need some one else to
              hold the chicken, specially the wings. I have noticed that by
              presenting the animal to the prenda and doing a large prayer and sort
              of dancing the chicken can get sort of hipnotized as the entity
              reaches for it. Now, if killing a big cock or rooster, wathc out
              since they can be quite strong and then help is definitely needed. It
              is best to have already some experience at least and to know also how
              the animal behaves since the cock can be agresive.

              When the animal i s well killed it will make no mess, be very fast
              and you will get a lot of blood; otherwise when not rightly killed
              the blood is little (and you dont want the entity to stay hungry!).
              Now, for 4 legged animals, you really need an experinced person who
              knows what he is doing. My padrino has witnessed a very famous salsa
              singer giving a tiger to Shango! In the Kongo back in Africa it was
              common make prendas with jaguars (i can only imagine the strong
              spirit living there...). It is still common to use black dogs for
              Zarabanda or sacrifice cats for some ndokis or "devils". Also mice
              are used in Palo and Ocha along spiders, snakes, etc.

              Recently i gave a goetic a snake skin, and to help someone else,
              asked for the sacrifice of a sheap! But when i have time i will post
              about this...

              Btw, you spoke of offerings in the triangle and having better
              results; could you say what kinds of offerings? candles? the
              strawberry´s you mention? (which actually they are of Jupiter; i have
              used them as such), alcoholic drinks?

              Interested. Regards, JM
            • Nightshademagic dot com
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 10, 2005
                On 12/7/05, JM <capulus1@...> wrote:

                > hi Athena,
                >
                > --- In solomonic@yahoogroups.com, "Nightshade" <oipteaapdoce@g...>
                > wrote:
                > > Chickens for offerings, how does that work logistically indoors?
                >
                > well, as Aaron mentioned, it doesnt have to be a mess, not at all.
                > The first chicken i killed was for the salomon´s seal -Goetia-
                > painted with the blood; i was quite nervous and my election of knife,
                > now i know, was a very bad one. As i have been working Palo my
                > profficency has done much much better as to kill swiftly the animal.
                > There are several way, from tearing very swiftly the head with the
                > hand to feed the Prenda (some paleros tear it with the mouth...) or
                > you put the knife inside the neck traspassing it and with the blade
                > directing the fall of the blood, but here you need some one else to
                > hold the chicken, specially the wings. I have noticed that by
                > presenting the animal to the prenda and doing a large prayer and sort
                > of dancing the chicken can get sort of hipnotized as the entity
                > reaches for it. Now, if killing a big cock or rooster, wathc out
                > since they can be quite strong and then help is definitely needed. It
                > is best to have already some experience at least and to know also how
                > the animal behaves since the cock can be agresive.

                Thank you for the advice JM :) Well we were actually thinking of getting
                chickens (for eggs and perhaps the odd dinner) this year, so I will have
                plenty of practice. Also there are a lot of locals who raise chickens, so I
                can be taught properly.
                One thing I am curious about is when it is appropriate to cook the chicken
                afterwards and have a little bit of a feast with the entity, and when that
                is definatly not appropriate? I have attended some rites where the food was
                said to have Ashe' and it should be eaten, and other rites where the humans
                would not touch the offerings at all.

                When the animal i s well killed it will make no mess, be very fast
                > and you will get a lot of blood; otherwise when not rightly killed
                > the blood is little (and you dont want the entity to stay hungry!).
                > Now, for 4 legged animals, you really need an experinced person who
                > knows what he is doing. My padrino has witnessed a very famous salsa
                > singer giving a tiger to Shango! In the Kongo back in Africa it was
                > common make prendas with jaguars (i can only imagine the strong
                > spirit living there...). It is still common to use black dogs for
                > Zarabanda or sacrifice cats for some ndokis or "devils". Also mice
                > are used in Palo and Ocha along spiders, snakes, etc.

                Well fortunatly I do have large private areas outdoors, so I will probably
                stick to that! A jaguar, wow! Yes, that must definatly be a strong, and
                interesting spirit! Well we do seem to have some spare mice around LOL.
                There are cougars on the island living in caves, but I really think that is
                beyond my skill! I do love all animals, so an offering like this would
                definatly have to be a very important one :)

                Recently i gave a goetic a snake skin, and to help someone else,
                > asked for the sacrifice of a sheap! But when i have time i will post
                > about this...

                That is definatly interesting :) Now I'm curious how that went. I like the
                snake skin idea.

                Btw, you spoke of offerings in the triangle and having better
                > results; could you say what kinds of offerings? candles? the
                > strawberry´s you mention? (which actually they are of Jupiter; i have
                > used them as such), alcoholic drinks?
                >
                > Interested. Regards, JM

                Quite a variety of offerings actually. Depending on who the spirit is and
                what they request or seem to like. I will put out booze of course, water,
                rice, definatly strawberries or other fresh fruit, sometimes a full dinner
                (I had one Goetic request a full meal once, but they deserved it, so I was
                more then happy to oblige), candles. When I call them the first time, I
                will often ask what sorts of offerings that they preffer, or at least get an
                impression of what they like. If they are doing a long term, or large job
                for me, well then I might go all out whith what I put out for them :)
                I of course also make sure to put out a little something for the others off
                to the side, as well as honour my ancestors and put out some food and booze
                for my ancestors and dead friends.

                Athena

                --
                "thou art chewy and taste good broiled on your own magic sword and eaten
                with a bit of honey-mustard dipping sauce"

                www.nightshademagic.com
                www.enochian.org

              • JM
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 20, 2005
                  --- In solomonic@yahoogroups.com, Nightshademagic dot com
                  <oipteaapdoce@g...> wrote:

                  > Thank you for the advice JM :)

                  hey Athena; my pleasure!

                  > One thing I am curious about is when it is appropriate to cook the
                  chicken
                  > afterwards and have a little bit of a feast with the entity, and
                  when that
                  > is definatly not appropriate? I have attended some rites where the
                  food was
                  > said to have Ashe' and it should be eaten, and other rites where
                  the humans
                  > would not touch the offerings at all.

                  right; specially when you clean some one with a chiken or some doves,
                  your centanly dont want to eat what you have just taken away! If you
                  made an offering to help you out with some difficult situation, a
                  sickenss, job probelms, whatever...but a bad situation, the offering
                  is to feed the entity to help you with that or pehaps even to absorbe
                  in to its substances the problem: so you dont eat it.

                  If you are making a feast as to celebrate the entity -say a feats for
                  Gabriel or for Eleggua on its day- then you share with the entity in
                  question the banquet that was prepared. Basically, its that.

                  > There are cougars on the island living in caves, but I really think
                  that is
                  > beyond my skill!

                  cougars! wow! that would be awesome is in it? yea, but to catch it
                  and kill it...well...

                  I do love all animals, so an offering like this would
                  > definatly have to be a very important one :)

                  exactly! Animal offerings are only for important things or when asked
                  by a deity or spirit. I do love animals; and i have never felt such a
                  strong conection to them as now i do. The santeros and paleros i have
                  known that have decades of doing sacrifice is the people more loving
                  and knowing of animals i have ever seen.

                  > Recently i gave a goetic a snake skin, and to help someone else,
                  > > asked for the sacrifice of a sheap! But when i have time i will
                  post
                  > > about this...
                  >

                  > That is definatly interesting :) Now I'm curious how that went. I
                  like the
                  > snake skin idea.

                  yes, i will be posting this very soon; i have been so bussy!...that
                  happens when asking the entities for help with job!

                  > Quite a variety of offerings actually. Depending on who the spirit
                  is and
                  > what they request or seem to like. I will put out booze of course,
                  water,
                  > rice, definatly strawberries or other fresh fruit, sometimes a full
                  dinner
                  > (I had one Goetic request a full meal once, but they deserved it,
                  so I was
                  > more then happy to oblige), candles. When I call them the first
                  time, I
                  > will often ask what sorts of offerings that they preffer, or at
                  least get an
                  > impression of what they like. If they are doing a long term, or
                  large job
                  > for me, well then I might go all out whith what I put out for
                  them :)
                  > I of course also make sure to put out a little something for the
                  others off
                  > to the side, as well as honour my ancestors and put out some food
                  and booze
                  > for my ancestors and dead friends.

                  ok, i see; excelent. Thank you Athena.

                  Regards, JM