RE: [Solomonic] Goetia as a Higher Magick

  • Gotteri, Andrew R
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 1, 2005
      Hi Tommy,

      What are the "howlings"?

      4ndy

      -----Original Message-----
      From: solomonic@yahoogroups.com [mailto:solomonic@yahoogroups.com] On
      Behalf Of magick72703
      Sent: 31 July 2005 01:11
      To: solomonic@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Solomonic] Goetia as a Higher Magick

      High Magick is related to finding one's own Tao, reaching Samadhi, going
      the route of Aleph to homebound Kether. The Goetia has mostly been
      indexed to the low magick archives in ceremonial thinking. I, on the
      other hand, have found Goetia to be a form of higher magick when
      utilized for psychoanalysis. Conjuring the inner weaknesses found in
      on'es own self, these can be externalised and epitomised via the
      'Howlings"

      Anyone else find this to be true?

      Frater Tommy

      "Secrets of the Magickal Grimoires" will be available in August 2005:
      http://kheph777.tripod.com/indexsecrets.html
      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • magick72703
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 1, 2005
        --- In solomonic@yahoogroups.com, "Gotteri, Andrew R"
        <andrew.gotteri@e...> wrote:
        > Hi Tommy,
        >
        > What are the "howlings"?

        Howlings = Goetia spirits
      • Aaron
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 1, 2005

          From: http://kheph777.tripod.com/indexsecrets.html

          ---------------------
          http://kheph777.tripod.com/secrets_chap1.html

          Goetia:
          The meaning of the word "Goetia" has long been a subject of scholarly
          debate. It is often thought to have derived from the Greek word goaô
          (to wail, groan, or weep), and is related to the howling of bestial
          demons. On the other hand, A.E. Waite suggests that the word
          indicates "witchcraft." This would derive from the Greek word goes
          (an enchanter, sorcerer), and from the word goety, indicating the art
          of the sorcerer- which is witchcraft.

          In classical times, "witchcraft" was a direct reference to working
          with spirit familiars, or the performance of necromancy. Thus, the
          very name of the text was meant to convey its focus upon infernal
          spirit working. It is introduced in the Weiser edition: "The First
          Book, or Part, which is a Book concerning Spirits of Evil, and which
          is termed The Goetia of Solomon, sheweth forth his manner of binding
          these Spirits for use in things divers. And hereby did he acquire
          great renown."

          The examples we have today are said to date back only to the
          seventeenth century. However, Waite suggests that it must be older;
          due to such earlier texts as Liber Spiritum, which mimic the style of
          the Goetia. Elizabeth Butler was convinced that Liber Spiritum, and
          even Liber Officiorum, were earlier names for the Goetia itself. To
          add to this, I discussed above the relation of the Testament of
          Solomon to the Goetia, with its large collection of demons, sigils,
          functions, and bindings. The Testament dates itself within the second
          through fifth centuries of the Common Era, suggesting that the
          Lemegeton might have enjoyed a rather long tradition both orally and
          written.

          The story (or mythos) within the Goetia is based upon a Talmudic
          legend, wherein King Solomon sealed a group of spirits (in this case,
          72 planetary spirits) into a brass vessel, and cast it into a
          Babylonian lake. The Babylonians witnessed the king disposing of the
          vessel, and retrieved it in hopes of finding treasure. Instead, they
          only succeeded in freeing the demons once more in a fashion
          reminiscent of Pandora's Box. Thus, the 72 spirits that Solomon once
          commanded are available for summoning, and are herein named and
          described, along with rites and conjurations meant to call them. The
          Goetia is the home of such popularized demons as Ashtaroth, Bael,
          Amon, Asmodai, and the four Cardinal Princes Amaymon, Corson,
          Zimimay, and Goap. With their brethren, they pretty much make up the
          standard hierarchy of demons from Medieval grimoiric literature.

          Perhaps the most fascinating aspect of the Goetia is its obvious tie
          to the tradition of the Arabian Thousand and One Nights. In these
          tales, mages are often depicted imprisoning jinni (genies) into brass
          bottles. In the example of Aladdin and the Lamp, the prison was a
          brass oil-burning lamp instead. The powers attributed to the spirits
          of the Goetia likewise reflect the magick portrayed in the legends:
          production of treasure, turning men into animals, understanding the
          speech of animals, etc. Of course, the Arabic tradition focused
          somewhat on King Solomon, and most of the legends that we remember of
          him today originated there. I strongly recommend one read Arabic
          mythology (including the Thousand and One Nights) when studying the
          Goetia.

          The Goetia is the source of the ever-popular Triangle of the Art,
          into which spirits are generally summoned. This is also the source of
          the infamous "Greater Curse" where the seal of a disobedient spirit
          is placed into an iron box with stinking herbs and perfumes, and
          dangled over an exorcised flame. The Seal of Solomon, which the King
          impressed upon the brass vessel, is reproduced here; as are the
          Pentagram, Hexagram, and Disk (or Ring) of Solomon. These magickal
          tools have been used by various mages, for various purposes, since
          the publication of the Goetia.
          --------------------------
        • Gotteri, Andrew R
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
            If your book would actually come out, Aaron, I would have bought a copy & read that for myself!

            Thanks for the snippet. Really looking forward to your book. You will need an invisibility spell when it comes out to avoid the millions of questions it will raise in the minds of people like me ;o)

            Thanks again
            4ndy

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
              Hello all,

              Has anyone used the Goetia to assist with "understanding the
              speech of animals"? To what end? Did it work?

              Regards
              4ndy
            • + Kempis
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
                > Has anyone used the Goetia to assist with
                > "understanding the speech of animals"? To what end?
                > Did it work?

                I've not used Goetia, but I've had conversations with
                some animals. Dogs and cats mainly. Find a dog and
                bark at it until you understand how it thinks. There
                is nothing quite so special as getting a confused look
                out of an animal. :-)

                +

                http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
              • Gotteri, Andrew R
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 3, 2005
                  I've done the same with my cat, but after a while she gets bored and
                  wanders off (presumably thinking "I haven't got a clue what the weirdo
                  wants. He don't talk proper.")

                  I wondered if it would make a good Goetic experiment. It would certainly
                  be of use to a farmer or a vet ;o)

                  4ndy

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 3, 2005
                    Hi Andy;

                    > I've done the same with my cat, but after a while
                    > she gets bored and wanders off (presumably thinking
                    > "I haven't got a clue what the weirdo wants. He
                    don't > talk proper.")

                    My impression is that they are mostly emotional. The
                    dog is saying to me: "Happy! Hello! Happy! HappY!
                    Hello! Hello! Hello! Happy!" ... but I am saying: "Hi
                    dog, what is your opinion of such-and-such artist?"

                    The problem in that conversation is me. I'm talking
                    like the dog is a human being; and even a human being
                    with some awareness. Now, if I look at the dog, and
                    say: "HappY! Hello! Happy! Hello! Hello! Happy! Hello!
                    Happy!", it understands.

                    Now, some birds are interesting. I notice many of
                    them have only a few calls. (happy, scared, horny,
                    hungry) One day, this bird places itself right on my
                    neighbors bird feeder, and starts belting out what
                    sounded like a video-game. My interpretation was that
                    it told the other birds: "I'm better than you." The
                    others got quiet too, and when it left, they started
                    coming back.
                    :-)

                    > I wondered if it would make a good Goetic
                    experiment. > It would certainly be of use to a farmer
                    or a vet ;o)

                    In my opinion, yes. Animal-speak is safe enough, and
                    it will probably amount to a lot of fun.

                    +

                    http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                  • Gotteri, Andrew R
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 4, 2005
                      Hi +,

                      I've tried it both ways with (Princess) Leia (no, really!). Having human
                      conversations "what are you doing?" &c and the purely "happy happy"
                      kind.

                      Of course, if one were to gain the understanding you would know for
                      sure...

                      4