The Pauline Arts (& some more history)

  • Aaron Leitch
    Message 1 of 6 , May 4, 2003
      Greetings All!

      Here's a bit of an email I just sent out- and I thought might interest this
      crowd. More historical timeline info, and more description of the Pauline Arts
      Operation. (Contacting the Angel of the Nativity. The Pauline Arts
      mistakenly refers to this Angel as the Holy Guardian Angel. The Holy
      Guardian Angel transcends anything that can be established by the stars- a
      point the ancient Gnostics would have taken *very* seriously.)

      -------------------
      > Do any of these sections/times have anything in common?

      Mithraism, Rosicrusianism, and the Crusades. There isn't any direct
      connection I can imagine. However, they do all represent very distinct events
      in the story of Western history. Mithraism was a Roman solar-religion that
      pre-dated Christianity, and from which Roman Catholicism borrowed much
      symbolism.

      Then, of course, Roman Catholicism was the driving force behind the
      Crusades.

      Finally, the most famous Crusaders (among occult-minded folk) were the
      Knights Templar- who practiced what they could of ancient Gnosticism.
      Therefore, they were certainly surfing the same current as the later
      Rosicrucians, who also esteemed Gnostic philosophy and magick.

      > Also, under the section of the course entitled - Pauline Art (Ars Paulina), it
      > was stated that...
      >
      > "The second part of the Pauline Arts is extremely interesting- as it
      concerns
      > the finding of the Angel of the degree of one's own natal Ascendant."
      >
      > Now as I have no knowledge of anything as advanced as this - how would
      one go
      > about finding their own natal ascendant?

      It's very simple. Take out that chart you had done, if you have it. The circle
      of the Zodiac on that chart is divided into four parts by a large cross. The left-
      hand point of that cross is the eastern horizon. More than likely, you'll
      notice that one of the Signs of the Zodiac is straddling the eastern horizon-
      part of it is below the horizon, and part of it is peeking up over the horizon
      point.

      That Sign is your Ascending Sign. Traditionally, it is more important to the
      chart than the Sun Sign. (I.e.- While I happen to be a "Cancer" because I
      was born in July- it is less known that I am really a Capricorn at heart. That
      Sign is my Ascendant- and it makes me a kind of "Cancerian Capricorn.")

      Also, there are 30 degrees in each Sign. One of those degrees will be
      exactly on the point of the horizon- and that is the Degree of your Nativity.

      The Pauline Arts has a chart of Angels associated with all 30 degrees of all
      12 Signs. You just look yours up- and that is the Angel of your Nativity.
      From there you continue with the grimoire's instructions for contacting that
      Angel.
      -------------------------

      The instructions are pretty standard. Most of the usual grimoiric stuff
      (preparations, etc) is suggested, but not outlined. A metal seal must be
      made, and the right time of year must be awaited. (That is- either when the
      Sun enters the Sign of your Ascendant, or when the year enters the season
      associated with the Element of that Sign. The first seems more preferable.)
      At the right time, prayers and conjurations are used to summon the Angel.

      Interestingly, the text also goes on at some length to educate the aspirant
      on how to ask the right questions. :) For instance, if your Angel is from the
      Sign of Aries (a Fiery Sign), you are supposed to first ask for protection from
      firearms and other bodily harm. The usual logic follows for Angels from any
      other Elemental Triplicity.

    • Dances with Werewolves
      Message 2 of 6 , May 4, 2003
        > Here's a bit of an email I just sent out- and I
        > thought might interest this
        > crowd. More historical timeline info, and more
        > description of the Pauline Arts
        > Operation. (Contacting the Angel of the Nativity.
        > The Pauline Arts
        > mistakenly refers to this Angel as the Holy Guardian
        > Angel. The Holy
        > Guardian Angel transcends anything that can be
        > established by the stars- a
        > point the ancient Gnostics would have taken *very*
        > seriously.)

        Say, Almandel was what Dee supposedly used, and sounds
        very simple. Is it effective?

        As for the stars, I think the Almutem Figuris is
        something directly important to this subject of Fate,
        though I don't know exactly how.

        btw- can I forward this message to an astrology group?

        "angels within angels within angels" yeah

        "yous guys better watch the wind... it'll wand ya!"
        [DwW]

        oh, another thing
        for one of my side projects, a scaper cult, I've been
        considering dividing the magic of our world into
        "schools" so they may be better understood in a gaming
        sense. So far, I have five; yet they are not limited
        to that number. I think much more can be done.

        Five are:
        1. Natural Magic. With physical components, place,
        objects, items, etc. (Hoodoo and certain European
        superstitions)

        2. Electional Magic. Deals with time, seasons,
        astrology, important moments, holy days, daytimes,
        full moons, etc. (as per Astrologies)

        3. Psychological Magic. Deals with mental states,
        trances, hypnotisms, 'bewitchings', emotion control,
        astral travel, meditation, illusions, etc.

        4. Energy Magic. Deals with chi, auras, chakras,
        vibratory rates, etc. Related to various modern ideas.

        5. Spirit Magic. Deals with spirits, summonings,
        blessings, talismans, wands, religion, seances, etc.

        Past there, I've thought "Divination", but I'm not
        sure if that would be magic specifically unless used
        in combination with one of these others. Magic here
        being defined as something that subtley 'causes'
        rather than something that 'tells about'.

        ideas? btw:
        "What is the Dreamscape? Quest in Reality."

        not too popular amongst mages, but does fall under
        Psychological, and it does rather mischeiviously cause
        many occult-related situations to occur.

        Splitting them off in this way can allow for focusing
        and specialization, instead of having mages bludgeon
        each other over "my way is THE way!" Though sometimes
        it's fun just to bludgeon. I was also hoping to divide
        these further into difficulty levels... So an
        untrained muggleborn can accomplish the very simplist
        in each section, but study, practice, skill, and
        talent are required for the more advanced sections.

        [DwW]
        "We have not been invaded. It is a Hollywood fraud."

        =====

        Varia - Cryptophonic Electronic Surrealism

        http://www.mp3.com/varia

        "Remember all ye that existence is pure joy; that all the sorrows are but as shadows; they pass & are done; but there is that which remains." - Liber AL II:9

        http://search.yahoo.com
      • Aaron Leitch
        Message 3 of 6 , May 4, 2003
          On 4 May 2003, at 11:40, Dances with Werewolves wrote:

          > > Operation. (Contacting the Angel of the Nativity.
          > > The Pauline Arts
          > > mistakenly refers to this Angel as the Holy Guardian
          > > Angel. The Holy
          > > Guardian Angel transcends anything that can be
          > > established by the stars- a
          > > point the ancient Gnostics would have taken *very*
          > > seriously.)
          >
          > Say, Almandel was what Dee supposedly used, and sounds
          > very simple. Is it effective?

          The Almadel was just one of the texts that influenced Dee's Enochian
          system. The Grimoire of Pope Honorius is another, the Arbatel of Magic is
          another, and the Pauline Arts is yet another. All of them had much to do
          with the Heptarchic system of Enochian magick.

          I actually have plans to go through the Almadel work, as well as the Pauline
          Arts.

          > btw- can I forward this message to an astrology group?

          Sure. :)

        • Terri Burns
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 3 1:04 PM
            --- In solomonic@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron Leitch" <Aaron@...> wrote:

            > The Almadel was just one of the texts that influenced Dee's
            Enochian
            > system. The Grimoire of Pope Honorius is another, the Arbatel of
            Magic is
            > another, and the Pauline Arts is yet another. All of them had much
            to do
            > with the Heptarchic system of Enochian magick.

            (OK, I'm replying to a four-year-old message after searching
            on "Grimoire" and "Pope Honorius.")

            Aaron, do you remember which version of the Grimoire of Pope Honorius
            you looked at when you were writing your book?

            Has anyone seen this edition put out by Caduceus Books, and if you
            have, any opinion on it? The connection to the Golden Dawn and
            Rosicrucianism is very interesting.

            http://www.caduceusbooks.com/honourius.htm

            LVX,

            Terri
          • Scarlet
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 3 1:45 PM
              Thelema,

              Dee used this one...

              http://www.esotericarchives.com/juratus/juratus.htm

              Will
              Love
              ALWays

              Scarlet

              On 4/3/07, Terri Burns <burnst@...> wrote:

              > --- In solomonic@yahoogroups.com <solomonic%40yahoogroups.com>, "Aaron
              > Leitch" <Aaron@...> wrote:
              >
              > > The Almadel was just one of the texts that influenced Dee's
              > Enochian
              > > system. The Grimoire of Pope Honorius is another, the Arbatel of
              > Magic is
              > > another, and the Pauline Arts is yet another. All of them had much
              > to do
              > > with the Heptarchic system of Enochian magick.
              > >

              > (OK, I'm replying to a four-year-old message after searching
              > on "Grimoire" and "Pope Honorius.")
              >
              > Aaron, do you remember which version of the Grimoire of Pope Honorius
              > you looked at when you were writing your book?
              >
              > Has anyone seen this edition put out by Caduceus Books, and if you
              > have, any opinion on it? The connection to the Golden Dawn and
              > Rosicrucianism is very interesting.
              >
              > http://www.caduceusbooks.com/honourius.htm
              >
              > LVX,
              >
              > Terri

            • Aaron
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 3 4:32 PM
                Greetings!

                Actually, I would have done better to call it "The Sworn Book of
                Honorius" rather than the "Grimoire of Pope Honorius." ;) The "Sworn
                Book..." or "Liber Juratis" is where you can find (one example of) the
                early version of the Seal of God, which became the basis for Dee's
                "Seal of Truth" (which was also called "Seal of God").