Recording Magical Experiments

  • Reject Dogma
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 14, 2014
      This isn't a question that's exactly on-topic, but you're a bright bunch of people and I'm curious as to how others here are addressing this issue.

      I need a more consistent way to record my magical efforts, and I plan on starting a new recording system next week.  I'm essentially starting a series of lab notebooks where I will record my workings and I'm trying to capture all relevant data in one place for later reference and analysis.

      Some of this is pretty straightforward: the what, when, where, why, and how of the working, environmental (emotional, time of day, phase of moon, etc) factors, along with any subjective notes about the performance and the overall feel of the working, odd synchronicities, etc.  Coming up with an overall layout is hard though.

      For instance, sometimes the result of my ritual is on-point, direct, undeniable, and happens within a very short time-frame (concurrent with the ritual, or maybe a 24 hour lag.)  Other times it may be weeks or months before any change occurs, and I'd like to document the why.

      But "did it work" is worth exploring.  Sometimes things with a (perceived) near-zero probability happen without as a result of a ritual that felt ham-handed and forced.  Other times something highly probable doesn't work out, even though the ritual performance was damn-near perfect.

      I think it would be useful to record the expected probability of a result if I do nothing for future reference.  This is a purely subjective measure, but I would like to have some kind of measure of efficacy, especially when trying something new, or off-the-cuff and created on the fly.

      Is there a better way to do this?  You can tell my thinking is still a bit muddled, so let me phrase this differently:

      How do you record your experiments?  Looking back, what are the most useful records you've maintained?
    • Bryan Garner

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 22, 2014

            Please tell me you guys check your audio recordings for EVP.  :)  That's an area I've been wanting to experiment in - performing traditional evocations with audio recording to scan for EVP - but haven't done so as of yet...

          • Bryan Garner
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 23, 2014
              Aaron, Frank (Nephilimpress) asked me the same thing. He knows someone with the equipment to filter things out to find EVPs. I still need to do that :)

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 23, 2014
                I do, but my mic is so low quality and my neighborhood so noisy I don't think I'd ever be able to capture them.

                On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 10:05 AM, Bryan Garner <bryanashen@...> wrote:

                Aaron, Frank (Nephilimpress) asked me the same thing. He knows someone with the equipment to filter things out to find EVPs. I still need to do that :)

                On Mar 22, 2014, at 11:08 PM, <kheph777@...> wrote:

                Please tell me you guys check your audio recordings for EVP.  :)  That's an area I've been wanting to experiment in - performing traditional evocations with audio recording to scan for EVP - but haven't done so as of yet...

              • Hyndla Kensdottir
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 23, 2014
                  I write and draw in journals soon after the rite.  Then, I record results as they come in (or not).  I keep the journal in a manner similar to a chemistry logbook.  I prefer using graph paper journals, but I have used plain and lined paper as well.

                  What's EVP?

                  Hyndla