Solomon and the Hoopoe

  • kheph777
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2014

      This is fascinating...  The hoopoe bird shows up in several grimoires as an acceptable sacrifice to angels and spirits.  Reading this article, we get an idea why::

      http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/highlights/highlight_objects/me/t/queen_of_sheba,_drawing.aspx

      Apparently, the hoopoe was Solomon's messenger bird.  If that was its function (either in myth or reality) it would explain why a hoopoe would be used as a sacrifice in magick.  The spirit of the bird would carry the prayers and invocations to the other side, and/or carry messages from the other side back to the conjuror.