Fwd: Goetia versus Secrecy

  • Julian
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 25, 2013
      " And like as a father causes one of his sons to love another, even
      so does the master unite and knit together his disciples or scholars in
      concord and love, so that always the one shall help to bear the others
      burden, nor one shall not reveal the secrets of another, but they shall
      be faithful of one mind and concord, and he that he shall truely
      perform, observe, and keep every article of his oath.

      And for this cause this [book] is called The Sworn Book "

      ---well I still suspect that fraternal organization and secrecy is not
      as alien to the text in actual grimoires as one might infer from the
      general thrust of Jake`s remarks---although the premise that such things
      are holding back progress in occult research seems very likely to me.
      --
      "There are no right answers to wrong questions." Ursula K. Le Guin

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 25, 2013
        On 25 July 2013 17:56, Julian <belfire1@...> wrote:

        > " And like as a father causes one of his sons to love another, even
        > so does the master unite and knit together his disciples or scholars in
        > concord and love, so that always the one shall help to bear the others
        > burden, nor one shall not reveal the secrets of another, but they shall
        > be faithful of one mind and concord, and he that he shall truely
        > perform, observe, and keep every article of his oath.
        >
        > And for this cause this [book] is called The Sworn Book "

        this master-pupil(s) style is *exactly* what I see as grimoire 'group
        structure'. Plus often a provision to minimise the number of attendees
        (one, or no more than three' being fairly common, but some sightly
        larger groups occur in the KoS).

        > ---well I still suspect that fraternal organization and secrecy is not
        > as alien to the text in actual grimoires as one might infer from the
        > general thrust of Jake`s remarks---although the premise that such things
        > are holding back progress in occult research seems very likely to me.

        Virtually axiomatic if one stands back, looks at various schools over
        a few decades and measures it against academic progress, and the work
        of the few 'joined up' magicians.

        > "There are no right answers to wrong questions." Ursula K. Le Guin

        'sright

        Jake

        http://www.underworldapothecary.com/
      • AaronL
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 25, 2013
          --- In solomonic@yahoogroups.com, Jake Stratton-Kent <jakestrattonkent@...> wrote:

          > this master-pupil(s) style is *exactly* what I see as grimoire 'group
          > structure'. Plus often a provision to minimise the number of attendees
          > (one, or no more than three' being fairly common, but some sightly
          > larger groups occur in the KoS).

          And don't forget the Goetia's (or is it the KoS?) suggestion that one should "achieve the rank or degree of Exorcist" - which implies becoming ordained in the Church. (At the time, "Exorcist" was an order of the Church unto itself.)