Books of Spirits - Liber Consecracionum

  • tolderoll
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 27, 2013
      Hey All,

      My copy of Fr. Ashen's _Gateways Through Stone and Circle_ arrived a couple of days ago. It's an excellent look into a modern adaptation to traditional grimoire magic.

      A section that was particularly timely for me involved the Book of Spirits. I've been getting interested in this area as a way to give expression to my pact workings with the Grimorium Verum.

      Richard Kickhefer's study _Forbidden Rites: A Necromancer's Manual of the 15th Century_ has some great discussion of magical books, particularly a small instruction for the creation and use of one called Liber Consecracionum. The study publishes two versions of this text, unfortunately both in untranslated Latin (though the study does contain some partial translations).

      As Roy mentioned in a recent post, the process described in Liber Consecracionum is thought to create a book that can initiate individuals without any direct contact with a teacher. The magic book can also lose it's charm, requiring additional consecration procedures.

      Anyway, just thought this resource should be better known.

      Cheers,
    • Bryan Garner
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 27, 2013
        C,

        Thank you for the feedback and mention of my book. :) I'm glad to hear your enjoying it.

        The Book of Spirits section is one I was most excited to include since I hadn't come across other trad. or period mages who mentioned they had made or attempted to use one ever before.

        Since its creation my personal BOS or LS has undoubtedly become the most potent ritual tool in my DSIC (as well as Goetia) workings. It contains instant links and connections to each spirit included and is a great personal record of completed workings. However, as mentioned, it seems to be a fairly sensitive mechanism which could release or loose its potency with improper handling or negligent use. As I continue to add to it under the terms with which it was created, it seems to increase in potency. .... Further experimentation is in the works to use only this book in future evocations to see if and how quickly the angels and other spirits can arrive without the complete structure of the ceremony.

        These experiments will not be done hap-hazardly or without serious considerations and preparation however.

        Cheers,

        - Fra. Ashen

        On Jun 27, 2013, at 11:01 AM, "tolderoll" <cbtucker@...> wrote:

        > Hey All,
        >
        > My copy of Fr. Ashen's _Gateways Through Stone and Circle_ arrived a couple of days ago. It's an excellent look into a modern adaptation to traditional grimoire magic.
        >
        > A section that was particularly timely for me involved the Book of Spirits. I've been getting interested in this area as a way to give expression to my pact workings with the Grimorium Verum.
        >
        > Richard Kickhefer's study _Forbidden Rites: A Necromancer's Manual of the 15th Century_ has some great discussion of magical books, particularly a small instruction for the creation and use of one called Liber Consecracionum. The study publishes two versions of this text, unfortunately both in untranslated Latin (though the study does contain some partial translations).
        >
        > As Roy mentioned in a recent post, the process described in Liber Consecracionum is thought to create a book that can initiate individuals without any direct contact with a teacher. The magic book can also lose it's charm, requiring additional consecration procedures.
        >
        > Anyway, just thought this resource should be better known.
        >
        > Cheers,

      • Carlos-Antonio Barraza
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 3, 2013
          Im interested. Please tell me more
          On Jun 27, 2013 4:14 PM, "tolderoll" <cbtucker@...> wrote:

          > Hey All,
          >
          > My copy of Fr. Ashen's _Gateways Through Stone and Circle_ arrived a
          > couple of days ago. It's an excellent look into a modern adaptation to
          > traditional grimoire magic.
          >
          > A section that was particularly timely for me involved the Book of
          > Spirits. I've been getting interested in this area as a way to give
          > expression to my pact workings with the Grimorium Verum.
          >
          > Richard Kickhefer's study _Forbidden Rites: A Necromancer's Manual of the
          > 15th Century_ has some great discussion of magical books, particularly a
          > small instruction for the creation and use of one called Liber
          > Consecracionum. The study publishes two versions of this text,
          > unfortunately both in untranslated Latin (though the study does contain
          > some partial translations).
          >
          > As Roy mentioned in a recent post, the process described in Liber
          > Consecracionum is thought to create a book that can initiate individuals
          > without any direct contact with a teacher. The magic book can also lose
          > it's charm, requiring additional consecration procedures.
          >
          > Anyway, just thought this resource should be better known.
          >
          > Cheers,

        • Bryan Garner
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 3, 2013
            "Gateways Through Stone and Circle is available on www.nephilimpress.com or amazon.com

            The Book of Spirits is briefly mentioned/described in the Drawing Spirits section of The MAGUS.

            Simply, It's a book containing images, symbols, seals, and invocations of spirits for ease of calling or binding them.

            In the case of the archangels they imprint a certain measure of their being upon the pages along with unique seals for calling and conversing with them at ease.

            The book is potent to the point where simply gazing at their images (despite mine not being exact representations of artistic beauty) will summon forth their presence and attention without lengthy ritual. I keep the leafs containing their image and invocation in special paper sleeves so I don't accidentally flip to them.

            The LS is used in the primary evocation rituals initially and is "touched" by the celestial intelligences themselves. So long as the ritual is successful and the magus maintains the sacredness of his book, he is able to summon forth the beings depicted within with little effort.

            As for my own book, as soon as the page is flipped to the spirit, the atmosphere and recollection of their presence becomes instantly palpable. Affects and exchange which originally took quite a while during the initial invocation come almost instantaneously when the LS is used. As if it where a catalyst for evocation, the spirits seemed almost called directly from it.

            I still abide by by the perimeters of the ritual outline when calling the angels forth from the book and still use my crystal in ebony pedestal but the ritual is conducted a lot quicker with much more time for discourse.

            Fra. Ashen

            On Jul 3, 2013, at 4:26 AM, Carlos-Antonio Barraza <carlos.w1969@...> wrote:

            > Im interested. Please tell me more
            > On Jun 27, 2013 4:14 PM, "tolderoll" <cbtucker@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Hey All,
            > >
            > > My copy of Fr. Ashen's _Gateways Through Stone and Circle_ arrived a
            > > couple of days ago. It's an excellent look into a modern adaptation to
            > > traditional grimoire magic.
            > >
            > > A section that was particularly timely for me involved the Book of
            > > Spirits. I've been getting interested in this area as a way to give
            > > expression to my pact workings with the Grimorium Verum.
            > >
            > > Richard Kickhefer's study _Forbidden Rites: A Necromancer's Manual of the
            > > 15th Century_ has some great discussion of magical books, particularly a
            > > small instruction for the creation and use of one called Liber
            > > Consecracionum. The study publishes two versions of this text,
            > > unfortunately both in untranslated Latin (though the study does contain
            > > some partial translations).
            > >
            > > As Roy mentioned in a recent post, the process described in Liber
            > > Consecracionum is thought to create a book that can initiate individuals
            > > without any direct contact with a teacher. The magic book can also lose
            > > it's charm, requiring additional consecration procedures.
            > >
            > > Anyway, just thought this resource should be better known.
            > >
            > > Cheers,

          • Bryan Garner
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 3, 2013
              - correction... if the book contains a spirit it is already 'bound' in one form or another. I should have typed 'charged' or consulted