Re: The Mojo Bean

  • Rob
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 18, 2013
      Oral tradition holds that the cat was boiled alive as one prayed to the Devil... it's a Satanist sort of thing, at least in hoodoo.

      I am not familiar with the grimoire of St. Cyprian, but there are at least three options:

      - it was a grimoire from the early Modern period, designed to shock and titillate jaded readers rather that do magic;
      - it was a procedure from the Medieval/scholastic tradition, where the Doctrine of Signatures was used to determine that a cat used a physical property to stay hidden;
      - it was a procedure from the PGM days, and it was specified that the cat had to be deified by drowning (a common means of sacrifice) and the 'boiling' part was added because that's the easiest way to get the flesh off the bones.

      Take your pick :)

      All the best,

      Zadkiel