Golden Seals

  • Asterion Mage
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 1, 2010
      Gold seals can be very frustrating, people tend to think they can either get away with gold spraypait, or save up for a lifetime to buy an ounce of gold.

      i ve uploaded in the files section a sample, thec seal of Camuel, one of the kings of air in the solomonic system of Ars Theurgia GOetia.

      here s a very simple and affordable method to do a seal in gold:

      Materials.
      -a round metal shape (candles, coughdrops etc)
      -a simple coffeepot or teapot (heck if i know the word in English, but it s like a cooking pot, only smaller, with a big handle)
      -an ingot of tin
      -a boxcutter or sharp point
      -gold leaf
      -gold leaf adhesive
      -a paint brush
      -a small delicate brush
      -a cotton or satin piece of fabric, large one

      Steps.

      1. put the tin in the coffeepot and melt it. It has to be a new pot, of course.
      2. gently heat the metal shape. When the tin is liquid, pour it in, to about 3 or 4 mm thickness.
      3. wait for it to cool down. this will be the bulk material.
      4. once you have the tin medal, you can either work it some more and give it shine or leave it like that.
      5. with the box cutter or sharp point (solomonic burin), cut deep into the tin and incise the seal of the spirit.

      Now these operations are not particularily done in any hour or day, this is not the actual seal, merely the support, so to speak.

      The gold piece will be the seal. That means that only the gold leaf will be your seal, the tin will be just the base. The Gold will be applied to the tin medal in the hour and day of the Sun.

      1. Wash the seal thoroughly, and dry it well.
      2.apply to the face of the seal a drop of gold leaf adhesive, and spread it well.
      3. take the gold leaf and put it on a piece of paper, then gentlu slide it over the seal. It will stick immediately.
      4. Blow on the leaf directly so it sticks to the tin plate. (watch some guilding videos on youtube).
      5. Take the fabric and mash it into a ball, and gently push the gold leaf in.

      6. Wait until the other hour of the sun, and do the same to the back of the seal.
      7. wait util the last hour of the sun and do this to the egdes, if they have not been covered.

      Once i can afford a video camera , i will make these available in video format.
      Enjoy.
      The pics are in the f\photos section
    • Bryan Garner
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 1, 2010
         Alright! So I'm tooting my own horn here, because its MY amazing brass vessel/spirit pot.

           Actually, I really can't believe I'm selling/auctioning it off :-/
        but I've had to shave down magickal items since we have a tiny mage (maybe) on the way. Maybe on the 'mage' but not maybe on the child....Anyhow, I'm quite proud of this and even if your not in the market, I think Goetic/Solomonic magick enthusiasts would appreciate this :) What I am amazed about is how it looks SOO MUCH like one of the vessel illistrations in one of the Goetia manuscripts :-D

        Honestley, I would rather one of you were the buyer of this since I think it would be put to proper use, but it will go as it will but I did want to notify all of you....

        HERE is the link:
         http://cgi.ebay.com/Goetia-Brass-Spirit-Pot-Urn-Vessel-Magick-Lemegeton-/200538604709?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb10844a5

        My other Goetic magick items are at: http://shop.ebay.com/ashenelf/m.html

        One of my auctions is actually for a sewn red silk robe sigil from an older version of the KEY.

        Thanks all :)

        Bryan

      • AaronL
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 1, 2010
          Greetings, Asterion!

          Thanks for posting this. While I still think using pure metal is the best-case scenario (see Kathy's "Pauline Arts Adventure" for more on that), I believe that gold (and other metal) leafing and plating are acceptable in most cases. An old friend of mine is convinced the "energy" of a tool or talisman flows around the outer surface, making leafing or plating good enough for the job. I'm not entirely sure about his theory, but there it is nonetheless. :)

          Oh, and I wanted to compliment you on the photos. The final result of your talisman looks wonderful! Thanks for sharing with us.

          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 2, 2010
            thank you Aaron, it s my pleasure.

            Usually i m for pure metal, of course, and Kathy s material is an inspiration to all of us.

            The Goetia and Theurgia Goetia seals are basically the same, while Ars Paulina uses the alloys originally designed by Paracelsus.
            Sadly i have to make due with kitchenware, not too much space round my house for a furnace, nor money for hardcore equipment.

            I usually etch copper and brass with acid, and engrave lead and tin. I will have a few silver coins engraved profesionally though, it s pretty expensive to screw up a silver disk.

            --- In solomonic@yahoogroups.com, "AaronL" <kheph777@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > >
            > > The gold piece will be the seal. That means that only the gold leaf will be your seal, the tin will be just the base. The Gold will be applied to the tin medal in the hour and day of the Sun.
            > >
            > > 1. Wash the seal thoroughly, and dry it well.
            > > 2.apply to the face of the seal a drop of gold leaf adhesive, and spread it well.
            > > 3. take the gold leaf and put it on a piece of paper, then gentlu slide it over the seal. It will stick immediately.
            > > 4. Blow on the leaf directly so it sticks to the tin plate. (watch some guilding videos on youtube).
            > > 5. Take the fabric and mash it into a ball, and gently push the gold leaf in.
            > >
            > > 6. Wait until the other hour of the sun, and do the same to the back of the seal.
            > > 7. wait util the last hour of the sun and do this to the egdes, if they have not been covered.
            > >

            > > Once i can afford a video camera , i will make these available in video format.

          • Richard Palfrey
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 3, 2010
              It seems to me that talismans and such are made on the principle of sympathetic
              magic. Im talking general talismans and lamens of spirits here. You are trying
              to connect with something so you are taking things in common with it in your
              talisman, with spirits lamens most of these things are intertwined with the
              symbolism of the spirit and its virtues in its symbol, but the metal will help.
              In stuff like the pentacles of the Key of Solomon there are multiple symbols or
              colours or metals or inks which you can use to associate with what you want and
              control what you want.

              Thus it stands to reason that even a piece of paper scribbled with the correct
              seal in standard biro would work to a minute extent (if to a noticable extent is
              questionable tho), and the more things that you connect with, symbols, metal,
              colour, and the most important in my mind 'timing' will merely increase the
              affectiveness of a talisman or lamen. I think the construction will effect the
              level something works at rather than 'it will work like this or not like that.'
              I think its just about making the connection strong enough with what you are
              doing, how you do that, is relative.

              That's my view anyway, Don't think its just coz things go around the edge of a
              talisman :P but its an interesting idea. Screwed if you have a Mercury filled
              glass talisman if that IS the case tho :D lol

              Richard.

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 4, 2010
                Dear Richard,
                i sympathize with you wholeheartedly, and trust me , i know the basics of talismanic magic.

                I want to do things by the book, though, including physical manifestation.
                I m quite tired with imaginary evocations and all sort of omens being interpreted as actual evocational success.
                I do not want to be condescending, nor hurt anybody, but i really want to keep all things traditional when it comes to evocation. These are the protocols that the spirits themselves swore to obey, not just nifty things past mages came up with.
                In most cases, replacement, substitution, modernisation and new age upgrades yielded no results, or results barely observable.

                I want to revive and keep alive the old tradition of spirit evocation, and hope to do so both with my works and my writings.

                Has anybody here ventued into the Ars Theurgia Goetia?

                --- In solomonic@yahoogroups.com, Richard Palfrey <thenovel_writer@...> wrote:

                > It seems to me that talismans and such are made on the principle of sympathetic
                > magic. Im talking general talismans and lamens of spirits here. You are trying
                > to connect with something so you are taking things in common with it in your
                > talisman, with spirits lamens most of these things are intertwined with the
                > symbolism of the spirit and its virtues in its symbol, but the metal will help.
                > In stuff like the pentacles of the Key of Solomon there are multiple symbols or
                > colours or metals or inks which you can use to associate with what you want and
                > control what you want.
                >
                > Thus it stands to reason that even a piece of paper scribbled with the correct
                > seal in standard biro would work to a minute extent (if to a noticable extent is
                > questionable tho), and the more things that you connect with, symbols, metal,
                > colour, and the most important in my mind 'timing' will merely increase the
                > affectiveness of a talisman or lamen. I think the construction will effect the
                > level something works at rather than 'it will work like this or not like that.'
                > I think its just about making the connection strong enough with what you are
                > doing, how you do that, is relative.
                >
                > That's my view anyway, Don't think its just coz things go around the edge of a
                > talisman :P but its an interesting idea. Screwed if you have a Mercury filled
                > glass talisman if that IS the case tho :D lol
                >
                > Richard.
                >

                > ________________________________

              • Francisco Torok
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 4, 2010
                  I totaly agree with you Asterion.

                  To: solomonic@yahoogroups.com
                  From: asterionmage@...
                  Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 13:49:11 +0000

                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 4, 2010
                    I'm with you there as well Asterion,
                    I believe that's the way for the long term magician to go, Especially if one goes by any grimoire. Very well said.

                    My recent discoveries have led me to state,- First acquire the materials listed, learn the ritual inside and out and make it yours through commitment to memory. No part of the ritual should be foreign or vague. Then, after truly and earnestly working the ritual as it is given 'in' the work, through extension of the spirits interaction, and as they may suggest and your Experience in This procedure dictate...... Then, alterations and different approaches may be experimented with. I've known very few who have gotten this far and
                    Maintain to persist even after initial and
                    Repeated failure. Much praise in your persistence!

                    Bryan Garner

                  • juan
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 5, 2010
                      Totally agree with you asterion. I'm doing the same with the crystal tradition of Trithemius/Hockley and by going by the book I've found in the instruments of the art a symbolism so rich and deep that no modern system of magic provides

                      Blessings,
                      Senko
                    • Richard Palfrey
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 6, 2010
                        Indeed. My pentacles are made of the planetary metals myself. Traditional
                        Ceremonial Magic is at the top in end in my book. Still I have found that the
                        time of construction is more important than anything. Astrology is highly over
                        looked especially on the beginner orientated forums and can make simple things
                        work well. Some more basic things can be made to work especially well if done at
                        the right time, still 'better' with it done properly though as I said
                        originally. I am not one for the Golden Dawn approach either.

                        I liked your lamen by the way Asterion very good. Mine are a lot larger but just
                        basic engravings so they don't look as cool. Nonetheless I have had ridiculous
                        results with them. I'm afraid I too am not one to read into things. I've been
                        practicing for the past 9 years and know all to well that something can manifest
                        physically if they want to, and get quite frustrated by people insisting that it
                        is all in your mind and a whisp of smoke may have been it.

                        As for the Theurgia Goetia I am actually working with it at the moment. Any
                        thoughts about the wandering spirits? Some would seem to have direct links to
                        the planets but there are too many which makes me think that they are also
                        linked to stars. What do you think?

                        ________________________________
                        i sympathize with you wholeheartedly, and trust me , i know the basics of
                        talismanic magic.

                        I want to do things by the book, though, including physical manifestation.
                        I m quite tired with imaginary evocations and all sort of omens being
                        interpreted as actual evocational success.
                        I do not want to be condescending, nor hurt anybody, but i really want to keep
                        all things traditional when it comes to evocation. These are the protocols that
                        the spirits themselves swore to obey, not just nifty things past mages came up
                        with.

                        In most cases, replacement, substitution, modernisation and new age upgrades
                        yielded no results, or results barely observable.

                        I want to revive and keep alive the old tradition of spirit evocation, and hope
                        to do so both with my works and my writings.

                        Has anybody here ventued into the Ars Theurgia Goetia?

                        --- In solomonic@yahoogroups.com, Richard Palfrey <thenovel_writer@...> wrote:

                        > It seems to me that talismans and such are made on the principle of sympathetic
                        >
                        > magic. Im talking general talismans and lamens of spirits here. You are trying

                        > to connect with something so you are taking things in common with it in your
                        > talisman, with spirits lamens most of these things are intertwined with the
                        > symbolism of the spirit and its virtues in its symbol, but the metal will help.
                        >
                        > In stuff like the pentacles of the Key of Solomon there are multiple symbols or
                        >
                        > colours or metals or inks which you can use to associate with what you want and
                        >
                        > control what you want.
                        >
                        > Thus it stands to reason that even a piece of paper scribbled with the correct

                        > seal in standard biro would work to a minute extent (if to a noticable extent
                        >is
                        >
                        > questionable tho), and the more things that you connect with, symbols, metal,
                        > colour, and the most important in my mind 'timing' will merely increase the
                        > affectiveness of a talisman or lamen. I think the construction will effect the

                        > level something works at rather than 'it will work like this or not like that.'
                        >
                        > I think its just about making the connection strong enough with what you are
                        > doing, how you do that, is relative.
                        >
                        > That's my view anyway, Don't think its just coz things go around the edge of a

                        > talisman :P but its an interesting idea. Screwed if you have a Mercury filled
                        > glass talisman if that IS the case tho :D lol
                        >
                        > Richard.
                        >

                        > ________________________________

                      • MARCUS
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 16, 2010
                          Hi,

                          I would like to know if anybody have read and used the Book of Gold(Rankine and Barron) and the results(if any), comments, opinions.

                          If this is off-topic, please feel free to remove.

                          Marcus

                        • HUMBERTO MAGGI
                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 17, 2010
                            Hi,
                            As soon as I receive mine copy, I will be glad to give feedback.
                            Regards,Humberto.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 17, 2010
                              --- In solomonic@yahoogroups.com, MARCUS <marc_us25@...> wrote:

                              > Hi,
                              >
                              > I would like to know if anybody have read and used the Book of Gold(Rankine and Barron) and the results(if any), comments, opinions.
                              >
                              > If this is off-topic, please feel free to remove.
                              >
                              > Marcus

                              It is on my to buy and to read lists at present. Once I have gotten at it (as it is highest on my list at present) I will let you know.

                              Ryan
                            • AaronL
                              Message 14 of 16 , Nov 17, 2010
                                I have read the book. I wrote a review for it as part of my "Return of Psalm Magic" essay. You can read it at Hermetic Virtues Magazine, or a re-written version in the upcoming "Hoodoo and Conjure Quarterly." Once it comes out there, I'll put a copy on my website as well.

                                I haven't actually used the Book of Gold itself yet - however one of its major sources (Use of the Psalms) is already my primary go-to source for Psalm magick. The BoG also references the Psalms as they are used in several other grimoires - like the Key of Solomon, The Munich Handbook, a Treatise on Mixed Khabalah, etc. That makes the Book of Gold a wonderful central resource for the study of Psalmic magick overall. I highly recommend it!

                                --- In solomonic@yahoogroups.com, MARCUS <marc_us25@...> wrote:

                                > Hi,
                                >
                                > I would like to know if anybody have read and used the Book of Gold(Rankine and Barron) and the results(if any), comments, opinions.
                                >
                                > If this is off-topic, please feel free to remove.
                                >
                                > Marcus

                              • MARCUS
                                Message 15 of 16 , Nov 17, 2010
                                  Dear Humberto and Ryan,

                                  Thanks for your comments, as a matter of fact I've realized that the fair things is to buy the book too, which I'll do. Besides, and to be frank, Aaron's comment's helped me made the decision.

                                  Like you, I think I'll post my comments on due time.

                                  Thanks again,

                                  Marcus

                                • MARCUS
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Nov 17, 2010
                                    Thanks Aaron,

                                    I've used the 6th & 7th Book Moses Psalms sections with good results, nevertheless it won't hurt to buy the BoG particularly if it is a source for Psalm magick.

                                    Marcus