A note on Coronzom / Hacoronoz by Fra Zadkiel

  • kheph777
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2010
      Just posting this here for archival purposes. Feel free to discuss it as you wish. :) (The original thread was about the Goetia and the Barbarous Names used in its conjurations.)

      Original found here:

      -----------------
      Re: Angelic Invocations

      > Eye, Eya, Saraye, Phaa
      > Jeia
      > Hy, Aia, Ay
      > Eie
      > Eschereie

      Me again :) Can you tell I'm reading back through the old messages?
      :)

      "Eye", "Eya", "Jeia", and "Aia" would appear to be variations on the
      Hebrew AHIH (Eheieh - I am), with the last part "Eie Eschereie" being
      a corrupted spelling of Eheieh Asher Eheieh (I am that I am). Saraye
      and Phaa are anyone's guess; this could also be what's left of a
      string of barbarous names from a Roman-era spellbook.

      "Hy" and or "Ay" are probably semi-ignorant de-Hebraicizations
      (how's
      THAT for making up words? :) ) of Yah or Jah, a common name of God.
      It would be spelled Heh Yod or Aleph Yod, since Hebrew is of course
      right to left, and someone who sort of knew the letters and didn't
      know the language would get Hy.

      Never assume that the medieval magicians were any more knowledgeable
      about stuff foreign to them than we are about the stuff they left us
      :) They may have had the oral tradition to draw on, but a lot of
      them
      were rough as hell when it came to education. My favorite example of
      this is one of the names of Saturn given in the _Picatrix_,
      "Hacoronoz", which is said in the text to be Greek. This drove me
      nuts until I realized it was a phonetic Arabicization of "ha Kronos"!
      Fun stuff...

      Blessings,

      Rob/Zadkiel