AMC300 wiring

  • Aaron Birenboim
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 15, 2004
      The two manuals I have:

      http://aaron.boim.com/EV/AMC200_300_01.pdf (AMC300 users manual, in german)
      http://aaron.boim.com/EV/AMCxxx_16.PDF (AMC320 users, german+english)

      give me a fairly clear idea of the pin-outs on the 26-pin
      ribbon connector.

      However, on my 1992 force, using AMC300, there is a 10-pin
      ribbon cable going in through the firewall, and another
      headed toward the motor.

      I haven't traced them down yet, but I'd guess that the 9-pins
      through the firewall are mostly fuses. Perhaps the brake-light
      relay activator too (I don't reacall that in the 26 main pins)

      The other 10-pins are likely to be motor sensors.

      Does anybody know how to get these pin-outs?
      Are they in there, like in the sub-drawings (i don't know german)
      Are there other documents floating about to help?

      My car is now dead. I intend to re-wire using beefier cable.
      I will try to hand solder cable ends into one of those
      ribbon connectors from nice round PVC insulated cables.

      Has anybody been into the Solectria break-out under the dash?
      Will I be able to solder into that... or does it use more
      ribbon-connectors that I may be wanting to re-build?

      i.e. am I headed for trouble.... should I just put
      new ribbon cables inside some plastic sleves like Solectria did?
      I might goop them up with silicon sealant in an attempt to make
      them a bit more reliable...

      --
      Aaron Birenboim | This space available!
      Albuquerque, NM |
      >http://aaron.boim.com |
    • gjc02000
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 17, 2004
        Aaron:

        The 10 pin connector to the motor carries tachometer information and
        themperature information. The AMC320 has the same signals ending in
        the DBM-9 connector instead of the 10 pin ribbon connector. I do
        not have the schematic of the tachometer PCA or cable, but would be
        interested in one if someone has it.

        I believe the cables now in use in your Solectria Force have worked
        for 10+ years. I would not rush out to rewire anything. I would
        replace bad connectors and clean everything else. If you can get
        another 10+ years, that should be pretty good.

        Watch out when using silicones or other sealants with electrical
        circuitry. Some sealing compounds outgas a corrosive gas when
        curing (smells like vinegar). Check with your local electronics
        store for RTV (don't ask me what it stands for) sealants which are
        compatible with electronics circuits.

        I am currently attempting to convert my 1992 Solectric Force to an
        AMC320. I work on it when I can steal the time. Right now all is
        connected, but nothing works. I may end up reverse engineering that
        tachometer PCA and developing a schematic and pin-out for the
        connector. Given my current schedule, I don't expect it to happen
        soon. When it does get done, I would like to make a simple test box
        to plug into the 9 pin or 10 pin connector that tests out the
        tachometer.

        Sincerely,
        Gary Carlson