Re: [force_ev] Any priced chargers?

  • Aaron Birenboim
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2004
      umarc wrote:
      > On Mon, 28 Jun 2004, cfrkeepr wrote:
      >

      >>Are there any reasonable chargers to be had? Please help me.
      >

      > When I needed a new charger three years ago, I was tempted to try building
      > my own. But I ended up buying a Zivan NG-3; it was under a thousand
      > dollars. I don't know if it is still available, but the user's manual
      > lists two U.S. dealers:
      >
      > Electric Conversions
      > 215 14th Street
      > Sacramento, CA 95814
      > (916) 441-4161
      >
      > Zapi Inc.
      > 6220 Angus Drive Street 102
      > Raleigh, NC 27613
      > (919) 789-4588
      >

      > Rob Landry
      > umarc@...

      IMOHO, the Zivan has a nasty finish-charge algorithm, and
      will shorten the life of anything but flooded batteries.
      Might want to check if Zapi has chips to provide gentler
      profiles.

      There was a canadian company (forgetting the name) that
      has a well-respected charger, but they max-out at 72v.
      If you have an old 144v system, you could get two of them.
      They had q in their name or something (NOT Soneil)
      --
      Aaron Birenboim | This space available!
      Albuquerque, NM |
      >http://aaron.boim.com |
    • d. Bouton Baldridge
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2004
        Thanks for the feedback. You helped me confirm my decision to get the Zivan, in that I have new flooded batteries and the price was less than $1000, with the temp compensation.
        Bouty

        Aaron Birenboim <aaron@...> wrote:
        umarc wrote:
        > On Mon, 28 Jun 2004, cfrkeepr wrote:
        >

        >>Are there any reasonable chargers to be had? Please help me.
        >

        > When I needed a new charger three years ago, I was tempted to try building
        > my own. But I ended up buying a Zivan NG-3; it was under a thousand
        > dollars. I don't know if it is still available, but the user's manual
        > lists two U.S. dealers:
        >
        > Electric Conversions
        > 215 14th Street
        > Sacramento, CA 95814
        > (916) 441-4161
        >
        > Zapi Inc.
        > 6220 Angus Drive Street 102
        > Raleigh, NC 27613
        > (919) 789-4588
        >

        > Rob Landry
        > umarc@...

        IMOHO, the Zivan has a nasty finish-charge algorithm, and
        will shorten the life of anything but flooded batteries.
        Might want to check if Zapi has chips to provide gentler
        profiles.

        There was a canadian company (forgetting the name) that
        has a well-respected charger, but they max-out at 72v.
        If you have an old 144v system, you could get two of them.
        They had q in their name or something (NOT Soneil)
        --
        Aaron Birenboim | This space available!
        Albuquerque, NM |
        aaron_at_birenboim.com |
        >http://aaron.boim.com |

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Aaron Birenboim
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 2004
          d. Bouton Baldridge wrote:
          > Thanks for the feedback. You helped me confirm my decision to get the Zivan, in that I have new flooded batteries and the price was less than $1000, with the temp compensation.
          > Bouty

          Good. I have floodeds too.
          I'm not getting the capacity I should, but I'm still trying.

          I was hoping to get those little watering caps... the ones
          with plastic tubes and little float valves to automaticly
          fill to the correct level.
          I thought it might work as well to set this up in the
          front battery box with the flooded pack on Zivan as
          to try and put regulators on SLA batteries.

          Unfortunately, my 85Ah (C/20) rated Trojan G24 modules
          are only delivering around 22Ah when the sag hits
          the 10.5v/module limit.

          I have two "stinker" batteries... but they aren't that bad.
          Only a couple of tenths of a V (max) lower than their neighbors
          when I check. I have a half-built module-voltage monitor
          in the basement to help and see if those two stinkers are enough
          to reduce the capacity that drasticly.
          I'd think that an 85Ah battery should be able to deliver
          at least 50Ah in EV use... call it 40Ah worst case to 80% DoD....
          not the 22 I'm getting.

          --
          Aaron Birenboim | This space available!
          Albuquerque, NM |
          aaron_at_birenboim.com |
          >http://aaron.boim.com |
        • Mike Phillips
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 2, 2004
            I'd be interested in knowing how your charger ticks :)

            What exactly does it do/not do?

            I am currently atttempting to rebuild a BC1600. They have relatively
            simple hardware, but debug takes awhile due to the higher power
            throughput. If this rebuild attempt is suceessful, maybe other units
            can be rebuilt. I could not afford an EV if the chargers are going to
            die every few years.

            Mike