Converting Force EV to Brusa AMC320

  • gjc02000
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 29, 2004
      Greetings all:

      I am a new member and am in the process of upgrading my 1992
      Solectria Force to a Brusa AMC 320 controller. It originally
      had an AMC300.

      The main issue seems to be converting the conectors that
      go to the controllers.

      The original controller had a 26 pin 3M type ribbon cable
      connector and the AMC320 has a DBM-25 style.

      The Speed sensor also changed from a 10 pin 3M style ribbon
      to a DBM-9 style.

      I am also in the process of building a communication cable
      with RS-422 to RS-232 conversion. The DBM-15 plugs into
      the controller while the DBM-9 plugs into the laptop.

      Everything is looking good except that the parts for the RS-422 to
      RS-232 conversion have not yet arrived. Other than that, I
      am about ready to plug everything in.

      Here are my questions:

      1) Has anyone else done this conversion before?

      2) I am following the schematics in the Brusa manuals.
      Is there anything else I should know about?

      3) Is there any special programming in the controller
      that MUST be down before I attempt to drive it?
      (I might get tired waiting for those parts.)

      4) I have been taking pictures and notes of my progress.
      Is anyone interested in them? (Assuming the car runs)

      Thank you,
      Gary Carlson
    • Tom Hudson
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 29, 2004
        Sounds like a cool project, Gary. If you want to put up photos and
        other information about the conversion, I'll be happy to post it on my
        Solectria owner's website (www.portev.org/solectria/). Let me know!

        Sounds like you have about everything covered, just be sure that the
        programming in the controller matches the motor you are using. Seems to
        me there are some important parameters you need to have programmed into
        the controller, such as motor frequency. Just double-check what's on
        the motor's plate and be sure the controller is set to the same thing.

        The only other thing I can think of is the controller's settings for
        battery protection -- Be sure the "brown-out" voltage is set to
        something appropriate for your battery pack voltage. Setting it too
        high can result in an early loss of power as you drive; setting it too
        low can damage the batteries through over-discharge and possible cell
        reversal. Also double-check the regen braking parameters, so that you
        don't try to stuff too much current into the pack when it's already full.

        Sorry if this is stuff you've already made allowances for -- But I'd
        rather say it now than after something bad has happened to your vehicle!

        Good luck, and please keep us posted on your progress!

        -Tom

        gjc02000 wrote:

        >Greetings all:
        >
        >I am a new member and am in the process of upgrading my 1992
        >Solectria Force to a Brusa AMC 320 controller. It originally
        >had an AMC300.
        >
        >The main issue seems to be converting the conectors that
        >go to the controllers.
        >
        >The original controller had a 26 pin 3M type ribbon cable
        >connector and the AMC320 has a DBM-25 style.
        >
        >The Speed sensor also changed from a 10 pin 3M style ribbon
        >to a DBM-9 style.
        >
        >I am also in the process of building a communication cable
        >with RS-422 to RS-232 conversion. The DBM-15 plugs into
        >the controller while the DBM-9 plugs into the laptop.
        >
        >Everything is looking good except that the parts for the RS-422 to
        >RS-232 conversion have not yet arrived. Other than that, I
        >am about ready to plug everything in.
        >
        >Here are my questions:
        >
        >1) Has anyone else done this conversion before?
        >
        >2) I am following the schematics in the Brusa manuals.
        >Is there anything else I should know about?
        >
        >3) Is there any special programming in the controller
        >that MUST be down before I attempt to drive it?
        >(I might get tired waiting for those parts.)
        >
        >4) I have been taking pictures and notes of my progress.
        >Is anyone interested in them? (Assuming the car runs)
        >
        >Thank you,
        >Gary Carlson
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • d. Bouton Baldridge
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 30, 2004
          gjc02000 <gjc0@...> wrote:Greetings all:

[...]

          Gary

          That's a real interesting project. Did you decide to upgrade because of potential improvements, or were you forced by equipment failure? I also have a 1992, the original charger went, so I fear that some of the other componants have a limited life that I must be prepared for. Good luck and keep us informed of the progress.

          Bouty Baldridge

          cfrw@...