Re: [force_ev] Any priced chargers?

  • umarc
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 28, 2004
      On Mon, 28 Jun 2004, cfrkeepr wrote:

      > Are there any reasonable chargers to be had? Please help me.

      When I needed a new charger three years ago, I was tempted to try building
      my own. But I ended up buying a Zivan NG-3; it was under a thousand
      dollars. I don't know if it is still available, but the user's manual
      lists two U.S. dealers:

      Electric Conversions
      215 14th Street
      Sacramento, CA 95814
      (916) 441-4161

      Zapi Inc.
      6220 Angus Drive Street 102
      Raleigh, NC 27613
      (919) 789-4588

      Rob Landry
      umarc@...
    • Don Buckshot
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 28, 2004
        About a month ago I sent my charger to Chuck Connors at Solectria for repair
        and during the time it was there he offered to sell me one BC3300 for $2500,
        down from their list price of about $3500. I wonder if they sold it since
        then.
        During the time the charger was away, I used a Fair Radio charger
        temporarily. No problems with it.
        Don

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 28, 2004
          Have you tried EVParts.com? They list the Zivan NG3 in both 120 VAC and
          220 VAC models for $879 and the larger NG5 for $1230. I use the larger NG5
          model in my Civic conversion, and after 5 years it is still going
          strong. I don't think the charging algorithm is quite as good as the
          Solectria/Brusa unit, but it does the job. If you get one, be sure to get
          the temp sensor and compensation option. Without it you can easily have a
          battery destroying thermal runaway event.

          I have been halfway wondering about the idea of adding an NG5 to my Force,
          the charge times would be cut almost in half, but I am a little afraid of
          damaging the batteries. Besides, the existing chargers seem to do well enough.

          Thanks,

          Mike Chancey,
          '88 Civic EV
          '95 Solectria Force
          Kansas City, Missouri
          EV List Photo Album at: http://evalbum.com
          My Electric Car at: http://www.geocities.com/electric_honda
          Mid-America EAA chapter at: http://maeaa.org
          Join the EV List at: http://www.madkatz.com/ev/evlist.ht
        • Aaron Birenboim
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 1 6:02 AM
            umarc wrote:
            > On Mon, 28 Jun 2004, cfrkeepr wrote:
            >

            >>Are there any reasonable chargers to be had? Please help me.
            >

            > When I needed a new charger three years ago, I was tempted to try building
            > my own. But I ended up buying a Zivan NG-3; it was under a thousand
            > dollars. I don't know if it is still available, but the user's manual
            > lists two U.S. dealers:
            >
            > Electric Conversions
            > 215 14th Street
            > Sacramento, CA 95814
            > (916) 441-4161
            >
            > Zapi Inc.
            > 6220 Angus Drive Street 102
            > Raleigh, NC 27613
            > (919) 789-4588
            >

            > Rob Landry
            > umarc@...

            IMOHO, the Zivan has a nasty finish-charge algorithm, and
            will shorten the life of anything but flooded batteries.
            Might want to check if Zapi has chips to provide gentler
            profiles.

            There was a canadian company (forgetting the name) that
            has a well-respected charger, but they max-out at 72v.
            If you have an old 144v system, you could get two of them.
            They had q in their name or something (NOT Soneil)
            --
            Aaron Birenboim | This space available!
            Albuquerque, NM |
            >http://aaron.boim.com |
          • d. Bouton Baldridge
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 1 8:59 AM
              Thanks for the feedback. You helped me confirm my decision to get the Zivan, in that I have new flooded batteries and the price was less than $1000, with the temp compensation.
              Bouty

              Aaron Birenboim <aaron@...> wrote:
              umarc wrote:
              > On Mon, 28 Jun 2004, cfrkeepr wrote:
              >

              >>Are there any reasonable chargers to be had? Please help me.
              >

              > When I needed a new charger three years ago, I was tempted to try building
              > my own. But I ended up buying a Zivan NG-3; it was under a thousand
              > dollars. I don't know if it is still available, but the user's manual
              > lists two U.S. dealers:
              >
              > Electric Conversions
              > 215 14th Street
              > Sacramento, CA 95814
              > (916) 441-4161
              >
              > Zapi Inc.
              > 6220 Angus Drive Street 102
              > Raleigh, NC 27613
              > (919) 789-4588
              >

              > Rob Landry
              > umarc@...

              IMOHO, the Zivan has a nasty finish-charge algorithm, and
              will shorten the life of anything but flooded batteries.
              Might want to check if Zapi has chips to provide gentler
              profiles.

              There was a canadian company (forgetting the name) that
              has a well-respected charger, but they max-out at 72v.
              If you have an old 144v system, you could get two of them.
              They had q in their name or something (NOT Soneil)
              --
              Aaron Birenboim | This space available!
              Albuquerque, NM |
              aaron_at_birenboim.com |
              >http://aaron.boim.com |

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            • Aaron Birenboim
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 1 5:57 PM
                d. Bouton Baldridge wrote:
                > Thanks for the feedback. You helped me confirm my decision to get the Zivan, in that I have new flooded batteries and the price was less than $1000, with the temp compensation.
                > Bouty

                Good. I have floodeds too.
                I'm not getting the capacity I should, but I'm still trying.

                I was hoping to get those little watering caps... the ones
                with plastic tubes and little float valves to automaticly
                fill to the correct level.
                I thought it might work as well to set this up in the
                front battery box with the flooded pack on Zivan as
                to try and put regulators on SLA batteries.

                Unfortunately, my 85Ah (C/20) rated Trojan G24 modules
                are only delivering around 22Ah when the sag hits
                the 10.5v/module limit.

                I have two "stinker" batteries... but they aren't that bad.
                Only a couple of tenths of a V (max) lower than their neighbors
                when I check. I have a half-built module-voltage monitor
                in the basement to help and see if those two stinkers are enough
                to reduce the capacity that drasticly.
                I'd think that an 85Ah battery should be able to deliver
                at least 50Ah in EV use... call it 40Ah worst case to 80% DoD....
                not the 22 I'm getting.

                --
                Aaron Birenboim | This space available!
                Albuquerque, NM |
                aaron_at_birenboim.com |
                >http://aaron.boim.com |
              • Mike Phillips
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 2 7:22 AM
                  I'd be interested in knowing how your charger ticks :)

                  What exactly does it do/not do?

                  I am currently atttempting to rebuild a BC1600. They have relatively
                  simple hardware, but debug takes awhile due to the higher power
                  throughput. If this rebuild attempt is suceessful, maybe other units
                  can be rebuilt. I could not afford an EV if the chargers are going to
                  die every few years.

                  Mike