Any priced chargers?

  • cfrkeepr
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 28 11:25 AM
      This is very dicouraging. My charger developed a tick. I thought
      that I could get it repaired. It is so old that there is no
      information on it. Solectria has no more chargers in stock. They
      sent me to Brusa, any one out there price a new charger lately? Over
      $5,000. What in the world is going on? Obviously the car is useless
      without a charger but I can't invest another $5000 after already
      investing as much to get the car and new batteries up and running.
      Maybe the ICE people know something we EV's don't. Long story short
      Are there any reasonable chargers to be had? Please help me.

      Bouton Baldridge
    • Will Beckett
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 28 2:03 PM
        Solectria has been selling an alternative charger that they make. Do they
        not have those anymore? If not there are other options, including the
        PFC-50 or PFC-20, see below

        PFC-20.

        Overall URL is: <http://www.manzanitamicro.com/chargers3.htm>
        http://www.manzanitamicro.com/chargers3.htm

        I used this in my Force and the only problem is that it is not isolated so
        you don't want to touch it while it is plugged in.

        -Will

        Will Beckett
        Beckett PC Solutions
        4189 Baker Ave.
        Palo Alto, CA 94306-3908

        (650) 269-7011 cell
        (650) 494-6922 phone/fax
        mailto:will@...
        http://beckettpcsolutions.com <http://beckettpcsolutions.com/>

        "Let me make it easy for you!"

        a Business Network Int'l member http://www.paloaltobni.com
        <http://www.paloaltobni.com/>

        a member of the Palo Alto Chamber of Commerce http://www.paloaltochamber.com
        <http://www.paloaltochamber.com/>

        Support the arts, subscribe to West Bay Opera http://www.wbopera.org
        <http://www.wbopera.org/>

        _____

        This is very dicouraging. My charger developed a tick. I thought
        that I could get it repaired. It is so old that there is no
        information on it. Solectria has no more chargers in stock. They
        sent me to Brusa, any one out there price a new charger lately? Over
        $5,000. What in the world is going on? Obviously the car is useless
        without a charger but I can't invest another $5000 after already
        investing as much to get the car and new batteries up and running.
        Maybe the ICE people know something we EV's don't. Long story short
        Are there any reasonable chargers to be had? Please help me.

        Bouton Baldridge

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129mk5u7g/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=gr
        oups/S=1705083269:HM/EXP=1088533661/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://comp
        anion.yahoo.com> click here

        :HM/A=2128215/rand=997375237>

        _____

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • umarc
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 28 2:55 PM
          On Mon, 28 Jun 2004, cfrkeepr wrote:

          > Are there any reasonable chargers to be had? Please help me.

          When I needed a new charger three years ago, I was tempted to try building
          my own. But I ended up buying a Zivan NG-3; it was under a thousand
          dollars. I don't know if it is still available, but the user's manual
          lists two U.S. dealers:

          Electric Conversions
          215 14th Street
          Sacramento, CA 95814
          (916) 441-4161

          Zapi Inc.
          6220 Angus Drive Street 102
          Raleigh, NC 27613
          (919) 789-4588

          Rob Landry
          umarc@...
        • Don Buckshot
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 28 7:52 PM
            About a month ago I sent my charger to Chuck Connors at Solectria for repair
            and during the time it was there he offered to sell me one BC3300 for $2500,
            down from their list price of about $3500. I wonder if they sold it since
            then.
            During the time the charger was away, I used a Fair Radio charger
            temporarily. No problems with it.
            Don

            This is very dicouraging. My charger developed a tick. I thought
            that I could get it repaired. It is so old that there is no
            information on it. Solectria has no more chargers in stock. They
            sent me to Brusa, any one out there price a new charger lately? Over
            $5,000. What in the world is going on? Obviously the car is useless
            without a charger but I can't invest another $5000 after already
            investing as much to get the car and new batteries up and running.
            Maybe the ICE people know something we EV's don't. Long story short
            Are there any reasonable chargers to be had? Please help me.

            Bouton Baldridge

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Mike Chancey
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 28 8:19 PM
              Have you tried EVParts.com? They list the Zivan NG3 in both 120 VAC and
              220 VAC models for $879 and the larger NG5 for $1230. I use the larger NG5
              model in my Civic conversion, and after 5 years it is still going
              strong. I don't think the charging algorithm is quite as good as the
              Solectria/Brusa unit, but it does the job. If you get one, be sure to get
              the temp sensor and compensation option. Without it you can easily have a
              battery destroying thermal runaway event.

              I have been halfway wondering about the idea of adding an NG5 to my Force,
              the charge times would be cut almost in half, but I am a little afraid of
              damaging the batteries. Besides, the existing chargers seem to do well enough.

              Thanks,

              Mike Chancey,
              '88 Civic EV
              '95 Solectria Force
              Kansas City, Missouri
              EV List Photo Album at: http://evalbum.com
              My Electric Car at: http://www.geocities.com/electric_honda
              Mid-America EAA chapter at: http://maeaa.org
              Join the EV List at: http://www.madkatz.com/ev/evlist.ht
            • Aaron Birenboim
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 1, 2004
                umarc wrote:
                > On Mon, 28 Jun 2004, cfrkeepr wrote:
                >

                >>Are there any reasonable chargers to be had? Please help me.
                >

                > When I needed a new charger three years ago, I was tempted to try building
                > my own. But I ended up buying a Zivan NG-3; it was under a thousand
                > dollars. I don't know if it is still available, but the user's manual
                > lists two U.S. dealers:
                >
                > Electric Conversions
                > 215 14th Street
                > Sacramento, CA 95814
                > (916) 441-4161
                >
                > Zapi Inc.
                > 6220 Angus Drive Street 102
                > Raleigh, NC 27613
                > (919) 789-4588
                >

                > Rob Landry
                > umarc@...

                IMOHO, the Zivan has a nasty finish-charge algorithm, and
                will shorten the life of anything but flooded batteries.
                Might want to check if Zapi has chips to provide gentler
                profiles.

                There was a canadian company (forgetting the name) that
                has a well-respected charger, but they max-out at 72v.
                If you have an old 144v system, you could get two of them.
                They had q in their name or something (NOT Soneil)
                --
                Aaron Birenboim | This space available!
                Albuquerque, NM |
                >http://aaron.boim.com |
              • d. Bouton Baldridge
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 1, 2004
                  Thanks for the feedback. You helped me confirm my decision to get the Zivan, in that I have new flooded batteries and the price was less than $1000, with the temp compensation.
                  Bouty

                  Aaron Birenboim <aaron@...> wrote:
                  umarc wrote:
                  > On Mon, 28 Jun 2004, cfrkeepr wrote:
                  >

                  >>Are there any reasonable chargers to be had? Please help me.
                  >

                  > When I needed a new charger three years ago, I was tempted to try building
                  > my own. But I ended up buying a Zivan NG-3; it was under a thousand
                  > dollars. I don't know if it is still available, but the user's manual
                  > lists two U.S. dealers:
                  >
                  > Electric Conversions
                  > 215 14th Street
                  > Sacramento, CA 95814
                  > (916) 441-4161
                  >
                  > Zapi Inc.
                  > 6220 Angus Drive Street 102
                  > Raleigh, NC 27613
                  > (919) 789-4588
                  >

                  > Rob Landry
                  > umarc@...

                  IMOHO, the Zivan has a nasty finish-charge algorithm, and
                  will shorten the life of anything but flooded batteries.
                  Might want to check if Zapi has chips to provide gentler
                  profiles.

                  There was a canadian company (forgetting the name) that
                  has a well-respected charger, but they max-out at 72v.
                  If you have an old 144v system, you could get two of them.
                  They had q in their name or something (NOT Soneil)
                  --
                  Aaron Birenboim | This space available!
                  Albuquerque, NM |
                  aaron_at_birenboim.com |
                  >http://aaron.boim.com |

                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                • Aaron Birenboim
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 1, 2004
                    d. Bouton Baldridge wrote:
                    > Thanks for the feedback. You helped me confirm my decision to get the Zivan, in that I have new flooded batteries and the price was less than $1000, with the temp compensation.
                    > Bouty

                    Good. I have floodeds too.
                    I'm not getting the capacity I should, but I'm still trying.

                    I was hoping to get those little watering caps... the ones
                    with plastic tubes and little float valves to automaticly
                    fill to the correct level.
                    I thought it might work as well to set this up in the
                    front battery box with the flooded pack on Zivan as
                    to try and put regulators on SLA batteries.

                    Unfortunately, my 85Ah (C/20) rated Trojan G24 modules
                    are only delivering around 22Ah when the sag hits
                    the 10.5v/module limit.

                    I have two "stinker" batteries... but they aren't that bad.
                    Only a couple of tenths of a V (max) lower than their neighbors
                    when I check. I have a half-built module-voltage monitor
                    in the basement to help and see if those two stinkers are enough
                    to reduce the capacity that drasticly.
                    I'd think that an 85Ah battery should be able to deliver
                    at least 50Ah in EV use... call it 40Ah worst case to 80% DoD....
                    not the 22 I'm getting.

                    --
                    Aaron Birenboim | This space available!
                    Albuquerque, NM |
                    aaron_at_birenboim.com |
                    >http://aaron.boim.com |
                  • Mike Phillips
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 2, 2004
                      I'd be interested in knowing how your charger ticks :)

                      What exactly does it do/not do?

                      I am currently atttempting to rebuild a BC1600. They have relatively
                      simple hardware, but debug takes awhile due to the higher power
                      throughput. If this rebuild attempt is suceessful, maybe other units
                      can be rebuilt. I could not afford an EV if the chargers are going to
                      die every few years.

                      Mike