Re: [force_ev] Thunder Sky batteries

  • William Glickman
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 5, 2004
      Is a special charger required ?
      How much do ni-cads cost and at what range ?
      Ni-cads have 4x cycle life of lead acid.

      On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 22:44:51 -0000 "fredfischer55" <ffischer@...>
      writes:
      > Searching for Lithium batteries, I came across the
      > manufacturer's site for these 3.9 volt batteries. The specs for the
      >
      > 100 AH model (LP8581A) show that 44 of these could replace
      > my Force's 50 AH batteries with space to spare. This would
      > double my range. The pack weight would drop from 819 pounds
      > to 291 pounds. This would increase the possible payload from
      > the current 650 to over 1150 pounds.
      >
      > On the downside there is cost: 44 of these batteries cost $6380
      > plus shipping. Battery life may only be slightly better then the
      > lead-acid pack: at 500+ cycles, far less than NiMH.
      >
      > Are there other problems with these batteries? 2x range for 3+x
      > cost is bad, what about current drain during hard acceleration?

      Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
    • fredfischer55
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 6, 2004
        The website:
        http://www.everspring.net/product-battery-LP8581A.htm
        claims a two stage charger: constant 0.3 CA followed by
        constant voltage of 4.25 V per cell. A special Thunder Sky
        charger, using "power pulse" technology can charge at 10 CA
        (price not shown). The Brusa NLG412 or newer NLG 511 can
        do 0.15 CA , followed by a float at 44 x 4.25 V.

        When I purchased my Force in 2000, increasing the range by
        changing the pack chemistry to ni-cad was a $22,000 option. I
        believe Tom Hudson has more recent info on Saft ni-cads.

        --- In force_ev@yahoogroups.com, William Glickman <

      • sarajimdl@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 8, 2004
          The other thing to be aware of is fire hazard.This type of battery can go into thermal overload and catch on fire-do a search on this type of battery and add fire to the search.There have been several recalls with LI batteries,one I remember had to do with electric bikes.