Thunder Sky batteries

  • fredfischer55
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 5, 2004
      Searching for Lithium batteries, I came across the
      manufacturer's site for these 3.9 volt batteries. The specs for the
      100 AH model (LP8581A) show that 44 of these could replace
      my Force's 50 AH batteries with space to spare. This would
      double my range. The pack weight would drop from 819 pounds
      to 291 pounds. This would increase the possible payload from
      the current 650 to over 1150 pounds.

      On the downside there is cost: 44 of these batteries cost $6380
      plus shipping. Battery life may only be slightly better then the
      lead-acid pack: at 500+ cycles, far less than NiMH.

      Are there other problems with these batteries? 2x range for 3+x
      cost is bad, what about current drain during hard acceleration?
    • William Glickman
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 5, 2004
        Is a special charger required ?
        How much do ni-cads cost and at what range ?
        Ni-cads have 4x cycle life of lead acid.

        On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 22:44:51 -0000 "fredfischer55" <ffischer@...>
        writes:
        > Searching for Lithium batteries, I came across the
        > manufacturer's site for these 3.9 volt batteries. The specs for the
        >
        > 100 AH model (LP8581A) show that 44 of these could replace
        > my Force's 50 AH batteries with space to spare. This would
        > double my range. The pack weight would drop from 819 pounds
        > to 291 pounds. This would increase the possible payload from
        > the current 650 to over 1150 pounds.
        >
        > On the downside there is cost: 44 of these batteries cost $6380
        > plus shipping. Battery life may only be slightly better then the
        > lead-acid pack: at 500+ cycles, far less than NiMH.
        >
        > Are there other problems with these batteries? 2x range for 3+x
        > cost is bad, what about current drain during hard acceleration?

        Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
      • fredfischer55
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 6, 2004
          The website:
          http://www.everspring.net/product-battery-LP8581A.htm
          claims a two stage charger: constant 0.3 CA followed by
          constant voltage of 4.25 V per cell. A special Thunder Sky
          charger, using "power pulse" technology can charge at 10 CA
          (price not shown). The Brusa NLG412 or newer NLG 511 can
          do 0.15 CA , followed by a float at 44 x 4.25 V.

          When I purchased my Force in 2000, increasing the range by
          changing the pack chemistry to ni-cad was a $22,000 option. I
          believe Tom Hudson has more recent info on Saft ni-cads.

          --- In force_ev@yahoogroups.com, William Glickman <

        • sarajimdl@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 8, 2004
            The other thing to be aware of is fire hazard.This type of battery can go into thermal overload and catch on fire-do a search on this type of battery and add fire to the search.There have been several recalls with LI batteries,one I remember had to do with electric bikes.