temp sensor on top of battery pack

  • murugac
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 29, 2013
      the batteries are not charging up.. trying to trace where the issue. so i removed the temp sensor box on top of battery pack, the temp sensor doesn't have continuity (between the two soldered points), is it normal? wondering if it is normally closed or normally open temp.sensor.  it says ASAHI US-602S on temp sensor. the manufacture website doesn't say if its normally opened or normally closed sensor. i see two sensors, both doesn't have continuity.
    • murugac
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 29, 2013

        looks like one temp sensor has continuity, one doesn't, i guess  its normally closed temp sensor. wondering where i could find this part. i see an ebay seller selling this for $9.

        http://www.ebay.com/itm/Asahi-US-602S-Thermal-Switch-150-F-65-C-N-C-Normally-Closed-Thermostat-/281129636962

        can i use radio shack part for this?

        http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12505727

        thanks

        -Muruga

        ---In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, <solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        the batteries are not charging up.. trying to trace where the issue. so i removed the temp sensor box on top of battery pack, the temp sensor doesn't have continuity (between the two soldered points), is it normal? wondering if it is normally closed or normally open temp.sensor.  it says ASAHI US-602S on temp sensor. the manufacture website doesn't say if its normally opened or normally closed sensor. i see two sensors, both doesn't have continuity.
      • Ken Olum
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 29, 2013
          What type of charger do you have? Is it a BC3000 (Brusa NLG4)? If
          so, it is connected to 2 temperature sensors which are 33K NTC
          thermistors. These will be mounted inside metal cases that are bolted
          to the battery terminals and probably coated in silicone or something
          like that. But it sounds like you are talking about the box on top of
          the battery pack with the temperature sensor. That is the switch for
          the heating pad and has nothing to do with the operation of the
          charger. In the back there are 2 of these sensors: one for the
          heating pad and one for the cooling fan.

          Ken Olum
          1999 Force
        • murugac

            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 29, 2013
              A better plan is to connect your laptop to your charger and run
              Brusa's monitoring program to see if it reports a problem. Lots of
              things could be wrong other than your temperature sensors.

              Ken
            • murugac
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 29, 2013
                Thanks, i was getting status 5 using the monitoring program.
              • murugac
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 29, 2013
                  i found the thermistors on battery terminals, the right one reads 23k ohms and left reads 33k ohms.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 29, 2013

                    Status 5, is "error, over voltage battery".

                    This is typically caused by a loose connection between the battery charger and the battery pack.

                    Unplug the charger's red Anderson connector and check that you can read pack voltage there.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 29, 2013
                      Thanks Wolf. I can read the voltage on red Anderson connector, my pack is heavily discharged, it reads 36v. Each battery is reads around 3v. That seems to match. I get continuity between Anderson red connector pos to battery positive, but I don't get continuity for negative connector to battery negative. Do you think that is the issue? The charger negative wire seems to be going to the front of the car. Hope I don't have to remove the front side of battery box.
                    • geo_homsy2
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 29, 2013

                        The DC power schematic is in the "files" section, in a folder called "Power Schematics".

                        Try that.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 29, 2013

                          Hi Muruga-

                          when you checked continuity from the Anderson to the battery negative, how did you do it?  And which Anderson are you talking about?  The one that connects the charger to the pack?

                          You DO have to chase this problem to the front of the car, but hopefully not into the battery box.  Check in the "files" section of this group for a file called "156V Power.pdf".  Presumably, there is an open involving the black "service disconnect" indicated on that diagram at the upper right corner.  Look for that black disconnect, and see if it is happy.

                          //Geo

                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 30, 2013

                             Hi Geo,

                            thank you, yes. i checked continuity between the charger red anderson 2 pin connector to pack. thanks for the pdf pointer. let me trace that black connector to the front. last night it was charging for 10 minutes then yellow led came on.

                            here is the monlog output when it was charging for the initial 10 minutes.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 30, 2013
                              Looks like you got about 1.8kWh into your pack, which is great. I
                              hope they are now reading reasonable voltages and not 3V/battery.

                              When I had a problem with intermittent overvoltage shutdowns from my
                              charger, the cause was a loose connection in the fuse in the wire that
                              goes from the charger Anderson connector to the battery. I replaced
                              the fuse and the holder, and my problem was fixed.

                              Ken
                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 30, 2013

                                It looks like it is working... But your pack might be to dead to charge at 20 amps.

                                You might want to adjust down the charger to like 1-2 amps then just let it try for a day or so and see if they batteries come back up.

                                Open the box with the 4 LEDs and turn the pot all the way counter clock wise, then up 10% of the range, that should set it to 2 amps. You can double check in the monlog program, it will say derated to 10% and only put out 2 amps.

                                You might also need to cycle the cells a few times to get the capacity to come back up.

                                Your other option is to try and charge each battery individually using a dumb charger (with that low a voltage per cell a smart charge will think it is connected to the wrong type of battery).