Re: [solectria_ev] Non optimized voltage range for DMOC445

  • Collin Kidder
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 3, 2013
      The controller doesn't really care that much. It just takes the voltage you
      feed it and turns that into AC. You can, and I have, use a DMOC with like
      230V and it will still work. The problem you will run into is the motor. It
      too will work with lower voltage than it is rated for. The issue is that
      lower voltage means lower torque. A 20V difference won't be a huge change
      in torque. I believe three phase motors still work with the rule that the
      torque changes based on the square of the ratio of system voltage to ideal
      voltage. If your ideal is 300V but you can only provide 280 then the ratio
      is 280/300. Square that and you get 87%. That's how much torque you can
      expect. So, the question is, can you live with a 13% reduction in torque?

      On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 10:17 PM, Newton Hausermann <rclugnut@...>wrote:

      > I'm not worries about the cells (they are massively over powered for this
      > application). It's the azure motor controller and motor that I'm curious
      > about the effects of running 15 or 20v below the optimum range.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > On Sep 2, 2013 12:06 PM, "Frank John" <biker_ev@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > I would ask the manufacturer: (info@k2battery. perhaps?) If you start
      > > discharging too far down the curve I wouldn't think your efficiency would
      > > be very good.
      > >
      > > Frank

    • Newton Hausermann
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 3, 2013
        Thanks for clarifying that, and i think we'll live with it as running the
        higher voltage will make wiring much easier.