Non optimized voltage range for DMOC445

  • rclugnut
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1 8:16 PM
      Hi, I'm on an electric snowmobile team, in the past we've run ~ 160v. Due to competition rules we are limited to 300v nominal. We're currently planning on using K2 Energy 26650P cells configured in 9 or 10 strings of 93 cells in series. Would there be an issue running the nominal voltage slightly less than the recommended range cause any issues/ kill the efficiency which is a large part of our competition. The cells haven't suffered significant voltage drop under the loads we've seen so far so I'm not worried about that with these cells. Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Newton Hausermann PS, more questions to come
    • Frank John
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2 4:05 AM
        I would ask the manufacturer: (info@k2battery. perhaps?) If you start discharging too far down the curve I wouldn't think your efficiency would be very good.

        Frank

        >________________________________

      • Newton Hausermann
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2 7:17 PM
          I'm not worries about the cells (they are massively over powered for this
          application). It's the azure motor controller and motor that I'm curious
          about the effects of running 15 or 20v below the optimum range.

          Thanks,

          On Sep 2, 2013 12:06 PM, "Frank John" <biker_ev@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > I would ask the manufacturer: (info@k2battery. perhaps?) If you start
          > discharging too far down the curve I wouldn't think your efficiency would
          > be very good.
          >
          > Frank
          >
          > >________________________________

        • Collin Kidder
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 3 5:26 AM
            The controller doesn't really care that much. It just takes the voltage you
            feed it and turns that into AC. You can, and I have, use a DMOC with like
            230V and it will still work. The problem you will run into is the motor. It
            too will work with lower voltage than it is rated for. The issue is that
            lower voltage means lower torque. A 20V difference won't be a huge change
            in torque. I believe three phase motors still work with the rule that the
            torque changes based on the square of the ratio of system voltage to ideal
            voltage. If your ideal is 300V but you can only provide 280 then the ratio
            is 280/300. Square that and you get 87%. That's how much torque you can
            expect. So, the question is, can you live with a 13% reduction in torque?

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 3 9:26 PM
              Thanks for clarifying that, and i think we'll live with it as running the
              higher voltage will make wiring much easier.