RE: Another Solectria Force back on the road!!

  • romastewart49
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 31, 2013
       Re: "limp home mode" -- It's no fun, especially uphill.  If it's really bad, you can pull over to the side of the road, turn off the motor, and twiddle your thumbs for about 5 minutes or so.  It will go at least another mile after that.  Don't recommend going to that extreme, though. --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, <wolf@...> wrote: "Limp home mode" is not really a mode that the controller all of a sudden
      clicks into...

      Is is a discharge voltage limit, which is tipicly set to 10V per battery.

      Thus, on a Force, with 13 batteries, the limit is 130V.

      The controller will only pull current, if the battery voltage is above 130V.

      So you end up with a gradual decrease in speed.

      If you keep going, you will slowly drop from 15, to 10, to 5... And then
      come completely to a stop. ;)

      Wolf
      *wags his tail*
      www.wolftronix.com
      On Aug 17, 2011 1:17 PM, "Joel Meyn" < joelmeyn@... > wrote:
      > sounds like limp mode to me! On my first set of batteries I drove until
      the meter showed 42.00 (maximum per manual). As I recall, 15 mph was the
      maxium speed. Even neighborhood cars will go 25 so I would call that
      limping!
      > -Joel

      replacing, and checking, our '99 Force is running and on the road!!!

      > We installed new batteries and Zivan NG3/120V charger and new tires.
      >
      > Very fun to drive!!! Are now daily driving to work and around town.
      > We are gradually increasing the distance and our confidence and have
      gotten up to 53 amp hours on a single charge.
      > Drove it out on the highway where we got up to 67 mph!
      >
      > Last night tried to drive it down low enough to see what "limp home" mode
      was like. Toward the end, it lost power but never seemed to go into a "limp
      home" mode. Had it floored but only going 15 mph. Does this mean that the
      programming is not working or did we just not drive it long enough to see
      the true limp home mode? Did we damage the batteries?

      > Putting a short info sheet in passenger window to share the EV gospel.
      >
      > Next move is to get a 20A circuit in the garage for easier charging than
      stretching extension cord into the house.