re: [solectria_ev] Lithium cell quantity

  • EV
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 26, 2013
      IT WAS MY UNDERSTAMDING THAT THE AMC 325 ( MOST OF THEM) HAD A VOLTAGE LIMIT OF 180VDC
      ALSO THERE IS A LIMIT ON THE DC/DC CONVERTER AS WELL AS ANY OTHER CONTROLLER YOU HAVE IN THE SYSTEM I.E. HEATER A/C.. THE NLG412 WILL PROGRAM TO 200VDC SORRY FOR THE CAPS !!!

      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 26, 2013
        180VDC is correct for the AMC325. I'll send the AMC325 manual off list.

        Chip Chandler
        cchandler66@...

        On Aug 26, 2013, at 1:42 PM, EV <ev@...> wrote:

        > IT WAS MY UNDERSTAMDING THAT THE AMC 325 ( MOST OF THEM) HAD A VOLTAGE LIMIT OF 180VDC
        > ALSO THERE IS A LIMIT ON THE DC/DC CONVERTER AS WELL AS ANY OTHER CONTROLLER YOU HAVE IN THE SYSTEM I.E. HEATER A/C.. THE NLG412 WILL PROGRAM TO 200VDC SORRY FOR THE CAPS !!!

      • Josh Anzicek
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 26, 2013
          Good day everyone, I have recently updated my 1999 force to use 48 LiMnO2
          cells in series. I am a battery engineer for a major Tier I and built the
          BMS aux circuits etc....

          I am using an AMC325 controller with ACgtx20 motor, standard Solectria (for
          1999 force) DC/DC , heater, and AC compressor/motor. At top of charge my
          pack is at 202V. I had no issue programming the AMC 325 to the appropriate
          voltage levels for my battery. I have been driving the vehicle without
          issue. all accessories such as Heater, AC etc.... are working well.

          When I disassembled my motor controller to add the RS422/485 communication
          I checked the power stages. The MOSFETs and the input caps are rated to
          250V, so I did not see any issue operating to 202V.

          I do not have a brusa charger, I am using a Zivan NG5 which I have modified
          to meet my needs. The charger was a challenging item, but is now resolved.
          If anyone has questions about adjusting Zivan chargers and the experiences
          I had (blowing up the power stage and replacing) please ask.

          Please let me know if you have any questions, I have a lot of experience in
          power electronics as well as the Solectria force vehicles. I worked for
          Ovonic Battery Company when we (together with Solectria / James Warden) set
          the world record for electric vehicle range (424 miles on a single charge
          which may have been unofficial / 375 miles from one charge in tour de sol
          1996).

          Cheers,
          Josh Anzicek

          On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 7:41 PM, Chandler Chip
          <cchandler66@...>wrote:

          > 180VDC is correct for the AMC325. I'll send the AMC325 manual off list.
          >
          > Chip Chandler
          > cchandler66@...
          >
          > On Aug 26, 2013, at 1:42 PM, EV <ev@...> wrote:
          >

          > > IT WAS MY UNDERSTAMDING THAT THE AMC 325 ( MOST OF THEM) HAD A VOLTAGE
          > LIMIT OF 180VDC
          > > ALSO THERE IS A LIMIT ON THE DC/DC CONVERTER AS WELL AS ANY OTHER
          > CONTROLLER YOU HAVE IN THE SYSTEM I.E. HEATER A/C.. THE NLG412 WILL PROGRAM
          > TO 200VDC SORRY FOR THE CAPS !!!

        • Sioux Ammerman
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 22, 2013
            Hi, all -
            I seem to have welded the cord to my Force's charging plug by having a loose connection between the two. This happened before and I was able to break them apart. But not this time.
            Does anyone know where I could get a new (or used) 3-prong charging plug/receptacle for a 97 Force?
            Such a little stops the whole show.

            Thanks much for any info or spare parts you can share.

            Sioux in Santa Clara
          • William Swann
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 22, 2013
              I purchased one at the local electrical supply house. Is that a 110 volt male plug @ 20 amps? Recessed.

              --
              Thanks, Bill S
              Ph 832-338-3080
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 22, 2013
                This happened to me and I bought the part from Amazon for $16 plus shipping:

                "Leviton 5478-C 20 Amp, 250 Volt, Flanged Inlet Receptacle, Straight
                Blade, Industrial Grade, Grounding, White"

                Ken
              • jerryp819
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 22, 2013
                  Hi Sioux,

                  This plug has a standard NEMA 6-20 P configuration used for 240 Volt applications.
                  As mentioned by Ken, you can order the entire "flanged inlet" online at Amazon.

                  If you wanted to get it fixed today, you can re-use your flanged inlet housing and just replace the damaged connector with a 6-20P plug from Orchard Supply Hardware.  I have bought these before and they are in the same price range as the one on Amazon.  Instead of a flanged housing, they are what you would expect to find on an extension cord, so you just replace the part that is damaged.

                  If you are willing to wait to have one shipped to you, then online ordering will give you the completed part which would simplify things.
                  Most electrical supply stores would have the flanged inlet, but they are typically closed on weekends.

                  The Leviton Website has a photo of the flanged inlet at this link:

                  http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ProductDetail.jsp?partnumber=5478-C&section=41854&minisite=10251

                  You can find a local distributor that sells them by selecting  "Distribution" from the pull down list and entering your zip code on the "Where to Buy" part of that web page.

                  Adios,

                  Jerry

                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 23, 2013
                    Thank you all for the great info. I thought it was a fancy-dancy part from Solectria. I'll check out an electrical supply house tomorrow.  It would be great to be able to drive it over to Plug-in Day next weekend.
                    Thanks again!
                    Sioux

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 29, 2013

                      For more fun in the long-term, get yourself onto J1772.  I'm getting 2x E-motorwerks "juicebox pro" open-source charging stations.  I have the J1772 inlet from ebay, and an AVC-2 J-1772 client-side controller from modularevpower.com.

                      I will be water-jet cutting the new adapter plate for under the "gas" door.  If anyone else wants one, please let me know.

                      I'll let you know how it goes  :)

                      //Geo