Motor Controller. Car won't move.

  • russell_fauver
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 14, 2013
      Had an issue with my motor controller yesterday and I wanted to let you guys know what I found in case anyone else has a similar issue.

      I have about 3000 miles on the new batteries so I wanted to monitor a charge cycle to make sure all the cells were still happy. To gain access to the battery box I disconnected most of the wires from the motor controller and laid it on the front of the car. Opened the front and rear battery boxes and started the charger. The charge went perfect and all the cells seemed content. The problem came when I put the car back together.

      After putting everything back in place the car wouldn't move. All the lights worked, the radio played, the little cooling fan on the back of the drive motor would run, everything seemed okay except for not being able to drive. It wouldn't move in fwd or reverse. I checked all the connectors, unplugged 'em for a bit and plugged 'em all back in but still nuttin. Today I pulled the controller out and took off the bottom cover, the long one on the opposite side from the cooling fans. Inside there I found an orange connector with 2 wires that was partially unplugged, I pushed it back in place the car drove just fine. I guess when I moved the controller I pulled that wire enough to dislodge the plug inside there. I was able to use just light hand pressure to push and pull that wire through the weather-proof fitting and there isn't a locking device on that internal connector so it would very be easy to pull the wire enough to unplug it. I tightened the seal nut a bit and made a mental note to be more careful with it next time.

      Russell