Shift Happens! Could use some advice, or a replacement motor

  • Sean K
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2013
      The previous photos I posted still apply, my rotor is still shifting more than 1/4 inch, I had the bearings replaced and the motor shop used some sort of retaining compound to try to keep the bearing from slipping out of the housing. I thought it had worked because I was able to drive it around in limp mode without an issue, but as soon as I got the car to drive normally and accelerated in the max power mode the rotor shifted again!

      I'm to the point where I'm tempted to try using something like jb weld or a brazing rod around the outside of the bearing, i think that the gap is too big for the loctite retaining compound that was previously recommended, I don't have any idea where to get a new bell housing for this motor, so it doesn't seem like I have much to lose by trying something a bit more permanent on this.

      So does anyone have any advice on how to fix this? Or even better does anyone have a working spare motor that they would be willing to sell?
    • Charles Bliss
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 31, 2013
        If the bearing is spinning in the end bell, you can find a decent motor
        shop or machine shop and have them sleeve the housing. This amounts to
        chucking up the end bell, boring it clean, pressing in a sleeve then
        boring it concentric with the end bell. This is not an uncommon problem
        in the motor industry. When reassembling, you will want to add shim
        washers and possibly a bearing spring washer. The helical gear can put
        a significant load, pushing and pulling the shaft. It needs to be
        assembled such that it doesn't do that.

        JB weld and other compounds WILL fail.
        On 7/31/2013 9:15 AM, Sean K wrote:

        > The previous photos I posted still apply, my rotor is still shifting
        > more than 1/4 inch, I had the bearings replaced and the motor shop
        > used some sort of retaining compound to try to keep the bearing from
        > slipping out of the housing. I thought it had worked because I was
        > able to drive it around in limp mode without an issue, but as soon as
        > I got the car to drive normally and accelerated in the max power mode
        > the rotor shifted again!
        >
        > I'm to the point where I'm tempted to try using something like jb weld
        > or a brazing rod around the outside of the bearing, i think that the
        > gap is too big for the loctite retaining compound that was previously
        > recommended, I don't have any idea where to get a new bell housing for
        > this motor, so it doesn't seem like I have much to lose by trying
        > something a bit more permanent on this.
        >
        > So does anyone have any advice on how to fix this? Or even better does
        > anyone have a working spare motor that they would be willing to sell?

      • joe
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 24, 2013
          --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "Sean K" <seankmc@...> wrote:

          > The previous photos I posted still apply, my rotor is still shifting more than 1/4 inch, I had the bearings replaced and the motor shop used some sort of retaining compound to try to keep the bearing from slipping out of the housing. I thought it had worked because I was able to drive it around in limp mode without an issue, but as soon as I got the car to drive normally and accelerated in the max power mode the rotor shifted again!
          >
          > I'm to the point where I'm tempted to try using something like jb weld or a brazing rod around the outside of the bearing, i think that the gap is too big for the loctite retaining compound that was previously recommended, I don't have any idea where to get a new bell housing for this motor, so it doesn't seem like I have much to lose by trying something a bit more permanent on this.
          >
          > So does anyone have any advice on how to fix this? Or even better does anyone have a working spare motor that they would be willing to sell?

          what happens when the motor shifts? I think the shaft travels laterally but does it just fault out or does it oscilate or bind during rotation?